The Student Room Group

Why are people so upset about this harambes killing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Don't make things complicated. Nobody would choose a gorilla over their own child.

What about your niece/nephew/cousin/sibling/parent? You would choose a gorilla over them?

It depends how shitty the kid is I guess. Well my niece and nephew piss me off, so I can say with certainty I'd choose the gorilla.
Reply 81
Original post by Serpentine111
And why is that? Why is an animal's life worth less than a humans?

I'm not saying that they should have killed the child or let him die, but there were surely alternatives and it was completely the fault of the mother who is obviously incapable of looking after her 4 year old. The negligence shown on her part is disgusting and what's worse is that an innocent animal has had to be shot just because she's a terrible mother.

The fact that you are "dissing" and calling people "weird zoophiles" shows you are quite clearly someone who lacks any sort of compassion for animals, thus deeming you an animal-hater is pretty appropriate.

What alternative was there once the child was with the gorilla?
Reply 82
[QUOTE=intelligent con;65321289 The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old

Really ? I would not be sure about that at all.
What makes it a fact ?..
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Would you choose your dog or cat over a strangers life in Zimbabwe?

No, especially if the stranger is a child..
Original post by sarkrista112
It depends how shitty the kid is I guess. Well my niece and nephew piss me off, so I can say with certainty I'd choose the gorilla.

Just wow
Original post by intelligent con
Why are people going so mental about this stupid gorrilla being killed. The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old which surprisingly a lot of people seem to be ok with. This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion. I will never understand why westerners seem to think vicious animals are cuddly pets just because someone gave them a name and started a twitter hashtag about them.

First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that. Secondly people who actually live in countries with these animals know how vicious they are so don't care if they are killed. Why people seem to think animal life is equal to human life is beyond me.

The main thing is that the gorilla didn't need to die. They could've tranqued him.
Just wow

wow yourself.

I pick an animals live over a humans live anyday of the week.

I despise this species. :angry:
Original post by NathanW18
What is weird is how some people believe that animal lives are worth more than a humans. That is absurd. They're not even equal to us. We're above them and take priority.

The experts on the scene deemed it to be a life threatening situation. They acted accordingly. They did what they had to do. It's unfortunate that the gorilla had to die. Especially an endangered species, but that is a better scenario than a dead child.

What is weird is how scum like you think you superior to animals. Can you please tell me why your live is worth more value than that of an animals?
Exactly. If 4 yr old kid dropped in a habitat with a 400 pound gorilla who could possibly injure the kid from using too much strength, let child die to protect an endangered gorilla? Apparently children are second to animals therefore the same people would sacrifice their children to protect endangered species.

I'll admit the mother was at fault and careless. She only had one job to at the moment which was make sure her child didn't get too close to fall in. Toddlers are naturally curious. They're children. They do not think as developed cognitive matured people do. Did the 4 year old really deserved to die because he fell in? I guess a beaten to death 4 year old would have been a better outcome instead of a dead gorilla.

Who knows. Maybe what looked like a gorilla shielding a baby could have turned deadly. The zoo would have had more dirt on their hands if the gorilla killed the 4 year old. It was either a dead gorilla, dead toddler, or both. People can't always have it their way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
The main thing is that the gorilla didn't need to die. They could've tranqued him.

I thought that too. Tranquilizers take time to kick in so it isn't shot-and-passout-in seconds procedure. It would have took at least 5 tranquilizers depending on the amount in one to make an extremely huge gorilla pass out. Who knows how long it would have took. A bullet to the gorilla was the quickest way.
Original post by SmileyVibe
I thought that too. Tranquilizers take time to kick in so it isn't shot-and-passout-in seconds procedure. It would have took at least 5 tranquilizers depending on the amount in one to make an extremely huge gorilla pass out. Who knows how long it would have took. A bullet to the gorilla was the quickest way.

Sad thing is there wasn't a sure way of knowing if the gorilla would actually have hurt the kid.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Sad thing is there wasn't a sure way of knowing if the gorilla would actually have hurt the kid.

True. It was a precaution for the zoo. Guess we'll never know.
Original post by sarkrista112
future serial killer I take it
Original post by SmileyVibe
True. It was a precaution for the zoo. Guess we'll never know.

It's sad though, or maybe I just take these things too seriously.
If a gorilla dragged your 4yr old son through the water, would you like someone to toss some bananas over and hope for the best?

Your ignorance on this issue, is somewhat amusing.

That's not the procedure I was referring to, it's more like: distracting the Gorilla and attract him to another part of his habitat, will indeed give a great opportunity for zoo workers to retrieve the boy, simple.

To attempt to make my opinion change simply by making it more personalized is frankly absurd and not to mention, nonsensical.

I don't think you understand, the Gorilla was showing protective behaviour not anger or threatening behaviour. If the latter was the case, then fair enough I agree with them. But frankly, it wasn't and thus I disagree with their course of action.

Try to actually comment on the points raised above, rather than attempting to propose a hypothetical scenario filled with drivel.
future serial killer I take it

Most serial killers torture animals during their childhood. And no, I'd have to care to murder someone.
Original post by screwsociety
wow yourself.

I pick an animals live over a humans live anyday of the week.

I despise this species. :angry:

But your own family? That's worrying
Why are people going so mental about this stupid gorrilla being killed. The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old which surprisingly a lot of people seem to be ok with. This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion. I will never understand why westerners seem to think vicious animals are cuddly pets just because someone gave them a name and started a twitter hashtag about them.

First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that. Secondly people who actually live in countries with these animals know how vicious they are so don't care if they are killed. Why people seem to think animal life is equal to human life is beyond me.

*Harambe looks down from Gorilla Heaven and sighs deeply

Original post by mil88
Your ignorance on this issue, is somewhat amusing.

That's not the procedure I was referring to, it's more like: distracting the Gorilla and attract him to another part of his habitat, will indeed give a great opportunity for zoo workers to retrieve the boy, simple.

To attempt to make my opinion change simply by making it more personalized is frankly absurd and not to mention, nonsensical.

I don't think you understand, the Gorilla was showing protective behaviour not anger or threatening behaviour. If the latter was the case, then fair enough I agree with them. But frankly, it wasn't and thus I disagree with their course of action.

Try to actually comment on the points raised above, rather than attempting to propose a hypothetical scenario filled with drivel.

I'm ignorant because I would prefer a gorilla to die than my own child?

Distracting the gorilla is not sure to work. What if he doesn't get distracted and carried on roughing up the kid instead?

I don't care if it was showing protective behaviour, it's a gorilla. In a split of a second, he could've attacked the boy and killed him.

I completely agree with their course of action.
Reply 99
With regards to the argument "all life is valuable".
Okay, where do you draw the line? If people aren't more valuable than gorillas, then are people more valuable than pigs? Are people more valuable than mice? Are people more valuable than ants? What is the criteria here? For me, the sharpest and most obvious line is humanity / the rest of the animal kingdom. It feels painfully obvious to me how the richness and potential for meaning in a human life completely eclipses that of an animal life. If you disagree, I would be interested to see the "cut-off point". I don't think something being endangered makes that much of a difference either. Would you rather kill 1000 children, or kill the last 1000 of an animal?

Quick Reply

Latest