The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phoebecushion
Are people learning essays that came up last year? Like childhood on adult relationships , Social influences gender etc

Nope I don't have the time😁
ngl lies, i dont know why but my brain dosent take in information till like 3 days b4 the exam when i go in meltdown mode? Its honestly the way it works, like a few years back for my GCSE science exam, revised 30 days B4 and only got a C, revised 2 days before Unit 2 psychology, all day just constantly and got 90 ums. Shall i leave it this late for this exam? kinda thinking they might be to much but nothings going in!
How do I remember the names of the researchers?
Original post by violetvictorious

You don't need to know them, but it's just a case of going over them. Try flash cards with the study on one side and researcher on the other :h:
Reply 1004
Original post by violetvictorious

For me memorising very specific things like names and statistics of studies is just naturally easy. But, if it's not then I'd suggest the Loopa man's acronym thing, of where you create an acronym with the initial letter of each researcher(s) for the specific theories.

Just so you know, though, you don't have marks taken away if you don't mention researcher names. It helps the examiners see your essay as being detailed and accurate. But, if you're able to give an accurate outline of a study without their name, you still get full marks for that study
Also, how do I write faster?
Reply 1006
move your hands quicker

lol and use a lot of fullstops. don't use too many commas to elongate sentences, and just try to make sure every short sentence is important and not "additional" information. all these things make you more concise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naveed Rahman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehuhZzwrv6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcgElE7380U&feature=youtu.be

Videos for the evolutionary theories into aggression- both infidelity and jealousy and Group displays :smile: please watch

keep doing these please really good to watch after having done a practice essay to consolidate!
Original post by bmarek
You're right. It gets credit as long as you link it to the theory. For example if you criticise a research which supports a theory and say for instant that it lacks ecological validity as the setting was artificial then you MUST explain how this undermines the theory! You're unlikely to get marks for evaluating the studies if you're not explicit as to how it affects the theory :wink:

Please can you help me with that?!!So linking it back to the theory, would that be something like if you said for example, "However, Mann's study had a very small participant pool, thus confounding variables such as individual differences may affect the overall result, limiting the internal validity of the study, and thus undermines the role of serotonin in aggression as a whole, as if it's supporting empirical evidence is flawed, the theory itself lacks credibility."Would that be okay in linking it back to the question and acceptable methodological evaluation?
If all else fails and I have a mind blank In the exam which I fear I may, do you think the examiner would realise if I made up studies as evidence and then provided statistics and findings of studies as long as it sounds relevant even though the studies don't exist?
Does anyone have IDAS for intelligence in animals ? Machiavellian etc.
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
If all else fails and I have a mind blank In the exam which I fear I may, do you think the examiner would realise if I made up studies as evidence and then provided statistics and findings of studies as long as it sounds relevant even though the studies don't exist?

If they've never heard of the study they have to look it up to check for accuracy, so yes they'll notice
Reply 1013
Wait, so how many studies do you lot do?

I was taught to do a minimum of 3, 4 recommended. Each study being concisely detailed, but thoroughly analysed and linked to the original theory.

But, I'm starting to wonder if examiners look for around 7-8 studies, which are just brief references and comments.

So yeah, how many studies, and in what level of depth, do you guys do?
Original post by Im130
Wait, so how many studies do you lot do?

I was taught to do a minimum of 3, 4 recommended. Each study being concisely detailed, but thoroughly analysed and linked to the original theory.

But, I'm starting to wonder if examiners look for around 7-8 studies, which are just brief references and comments.

So yeah, how many studies, and in what level of depth, do you guys do?

I do around 4 or 5. But I don't analyse the studies, I just link to the theory.
Original post by A-LJLB
I know it's far easier said than done, but take each day at a time and don't think about the long term goal (the exam). You'll find it's easier to retain information, it's probably the stress stopping you. Just do what you can! Like I said, you're well ahead of me!

Dedicating my whole day to PSYA3 :frown:
Fingers crossed I actually learn something loooool :frown: how's your revision going?x
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Dedicating my whole day to PSYA3 :frown:
Fingers crossed I actually learn something loooool :frown: how's your revision going?x

Haha I'm sure you'll do great! I'm still not panicking if that says anything :P I'm just trying to perfect essays and decide which ones to prioritise as well, I'm so scared they won't follow the pattern and throw in essays that have already come up recently!
Reply 1017
I see. That's actually making me start to wonder if my teachers did ever tell me to analyse the studies. They always said we should do a "This suggests..." sentence after the findings of the study, but I think they said to use that as a way of linking the findings to the theory. I think at some point I might have just taken it upon myself to analyse first and then link back--might change this, thanks!
Original post by Im130
I see. That's actually making me start to wonder if my teachers did ever tell me to analyse the studies. They always said we should do a "This suggests..." sentence after the findings of the study, but I think they said to use that as a way of linking the findings to the theory. I think at some point I might have just taken it upon myself to analyse first and then link back--might change this, thanks!

That's what I do, I'll say whether it supports or opposes the theory and why, but I don't analyse the study in terms of methodological evaluation etc, just because it's hard to link it effectively to the theory so we were advised to leave it out.

No problem! At the end of the day, do what you're comfortable with :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
Haha I'm sure you'll do great! I'm still not panicking if that says anything :P I'm just trying to perfect essays and decide which ones to prioritise as well, I'm so scared they won't follow the pattern and throw in essays that have already come up recently!

same here, like if they throw in an essay on something that came up last year I'm screwed! I won't have time to learn the essays for last year properly so fingers crossed they're not bitches this year haha

Latest

Trending

Trending