The Student Room Group

Cambridge maths question

Hey guys :-) I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on my a-levels as I think I might apply to do maths at cambridge. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Religious Studies and English Language. Religious studies I think I can just about get away with (philosophy, y'know?) but I'm not sure if cambridge will like english language (although I'm probably only going to take English Lang/RS to AS level). What do you guys think? (thanks in advanace)
Reply 1
You've already got the two most important subjects maths and further maths. I have heard before that some colleges would prefer you taking physics if you intend to take the applied maths option in the future but I may be wrong here. Of course, don't forget about STEP, which I think is the utmost important to Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by savandwich
Hey guys :-) I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on my a-levels as I think I might apply to do maths at cambridge. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Religious Studies and English Language. Religious studies I think I can just about get away with (philosophy, y'know?) but I'm not sure if cambridge will like english language (although I'm probably only going to take English Lang/RS to AS level). What do you guys think? (thanks in advanace)

For Maths, Cambridge is uninterested in both your RS and EngLit. But note that most candidates will be offering Physics.

Also, three A-levels are sufficient. This is especially the case for Maths were the workload required to be successful at STEP is very significant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
For Maths, Cambridge is uninterested in both your RS and EngLit. But note that most candidates will be offering Physics.

Also 3 A-levels are sufficient. This is especially the case for Maths were the workload required to be successful at STEP is very significant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm feeling reasonably confident that I can get A*s in either RS/EngLit at A-level, and the A-level requirement is usually A*A*A, so would perhaps predicted grades of A* maths, A* RS and A Further Maths be ok? (along with STEP of course)
Reply 4
I'm feeling reasonably confident that I can get A*s in either RS/EngLit at A-level, and the A-level requirement is usually A*A*A, so would perhaps predicted grades of A* maths, A* RS and A Further Maths be ok? (along with STEP of course)

A*A* in maths and further maths if anything
Reply 5

No, you will need A*s in both Maths and FM.

And, to clarify my earlier comment about Physics... it's by far the most popular 3rd A-level, but isn't specifically required. Check the info here:

https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/guide_0.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
No, you will need A*s in both Maths and FM.

And, to clarify my earlier comment about Physics... it's by far the most popular 3rd A-level, but isn't specifically required. Check the info here:

https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/guide_0.pdf

This is really useful. thank you :h:
Reply 7
Original post by rxns_00
A*A* in maths and further maths if anything

Oh yeah. thanks lol :-)
Reply 8
This is really useful. thank you :h:

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply