The Student Room Group

"Feminism is useless in the first world"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anna__
I was thinking that your comment was on point, until I read 'women are the weaker gender'.. what why and how!?

Physically, if you get an average man and an average woman, the man will be stronger and therefore puts the woman in the position of a victim. If a man wants to take something from a woman then he very well has the natural means to do so whereas women don't have the same natural means to defend themself against a 6'4 250 pound muscle man and therefore need to take extra precautions.
Reply 321
Original post by #JOSH45#
Physically, if you get an average man and an average woman, the man will be stronger and therefore puts the woman in the position of a victim. If a man wants to take something from a woman then he very well has the natural means to do so whereas women don't have the same natural means to defend themself against a 6'4 250 pound muscle man and therefore need to take extra precautions.

I guess so but should the woman (or the man) ever be expected to take extra precautions?

is it okay to harass or even rape a woman if she's wearing a short skirt? does that argument mean she should wear jeans to a club instead? should she not get drunk?

Yet because men are the stronger ones, they can get drunk and be topless?

Hahah unfortunately I'm being hypocritical because I don't bother getting as drunk anymore becasue of how the men seem to act hahahha... how sad that I can't enjoy myself anymore
Original post by anna__
I guess so but should the woman (or the man) ever be expected to take extra precautions?

is it okay to harass or even rape a woman if she's wearing a short skirt? does that argument mean she should wear jeans to a club instead? should she not get drunk?

Hahah unfortunately I'm being hypocritical because I don't bother getting as drunk anymore becasue of how the men seem to act hahahha... how sad that I can't enjoy myself anymore

You can enjoy yourself, your reaction is ridiculously disproportionate

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's amazing how feminism can turn the response of I wouldn't rape you into a rape threat these days.

It was in response to how common rape has become.
Original post by anna__

Sadly, yes, as the one in the position of the victim, women will have to be the ones to take precautions.

Of course it's not okay to harass or rape anybody but we don't live in a perfect world and these things do happen. A rapists rapes, there's nothing we can do besides lock him up and that's a temporary solution, the more permanent solution is for women to be careful, avoiding dark alleys or compromising situations etc.

And again, sadly yes, men do have the power to be drunk and topless because they are the stronger ones, less likely to be preyed upon, unlike women.

It is a shame, but the thing is: at least when you're not drunk, you are the one in control, less likely to be taken advantage of.
Original post by joecphillips
It's amazing how feminism can turn the response of I wouldn't rape you into a rape threat these days.

It was in response to how common rape has become.

I assume you're talking about Sargon? I think they took it, given the "even" ("I wouldn't even rape you") as meaning "you're too ugly for me" rather than "I wouldn't rape you on moral principle". However in context it doesn't sound like that, as he makes no reference to her appearance and she isn't even being shown at that point, so one can hardly think he is insulting her in that manner. If I had just said "I wouldn't rape you", I think it may possibly have drawn less attention.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I assume you're talking about Sargon? I think they took it, given the "even" ("I wouldn't even rape you":wink: as meaning "you're too ugly for me" rather than "I wouldn't rape you on moral principle". However in context it doesn't sound like that, as he makes no reference to her appearance and she isn't even being shown at that point, so one can hardly think he is insulting her in that manner. If I had just said "I wouldn't rape you", I think it may possibly have drawn less attention.

Yes I am
When you look at the video and see how he is responding to the article she published then you can see why he said even.

It's amazing how newspapers have decided it is threats as well.
Yes I am
When you look at the video and see how he is responding to the article she published then you can see why he said even.

It's amazing how newspapers have decided it is threats as well.

Yep, true. It just shows how careful you have to be with words with people of this ilk lol. You would think Sargon punched a nun in the face or something the way he's being chastised
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yep, true. It just shows how careful you have to be with words with people of this ilk lol. You would think Sargon punched a nun in the face or something the way he's being chastised

It's amazing that not making rape threats gets national media attention and it is being spun as a bad thing
Reply 329
Just for amusement:

Feminist politician put in her place for accusing someone of 'mansplaining'.

https://youtu.be/ZOXh5repOWI

:smile:
Original post by Jd_uk
Again, the responses here only go to show how much feminism glosses over any male issues. It's why I say feminism being about equality is BS. Here are stats posted by someone in the other thread. Can any female here HONESTLY tell me that we hear anywhere near as much about these issues as we do about 'the gender pay gap'?

*note - from my own reading these last few days, and my own work experience, I do think the 'gender pay gap' is massively blown out of proportion and I think there are genuine reasons for it (women taking time out of work, often being less ambitious in the workplace on average etc). I personally have never seen women held back in the workplace and know many female senior managers, parnters, directors etc. I've even seen preference for women in the workplace and recently I've read that women up to a certain age (around about the average time of motherhood) actually earn more than men. So if this is the best that feminists have then I really do wonder. Anyway....the stats:

Unsheltered Homeless (2009)
Women 12,000 4%
Men 240,000 96%

Life Expectancy (2006)
Women 80.8 Years
Men 75.7 Years

Suicides (2008)
Women 7,585 - 19%
Men 28,450 - 81%

Deaths by Homicide (2004)
Women 3,856 20%
Men 14,717 80%

Deaths from Cancer (2004)
Women 269,819
Men 290,069

Deaths from HIV/AIDS (2004)
Women 3,357
Men 8,756

Federal Funds for Sex Specific Cancer Research
Women Breast Cancer $631,000,000 - 40,000 Deaths
Men Prostate Cancer $300,000,000 - 33,000 Deaths

Deaths on the Job (2010)
Women 355 - 7%
Men 4,192 - 93%

Injuries on the Job (2007)
Women 36%
Men 64%

College Enrolment (2009)
Women 58% - 11,658,000
Men 42% - 8,770,000

Affirmative Action Education Programs (Gender Specific)
Women Yes
Men No

Unemployment Rates (2010)
Women 8.6% 6,199,000
Men 10.5% - 8,626,000

Average Hours Worked Per Week (2010)
Women 36.1
Men 40.2

High School Graduation Rates (2005)
Women 72%
Men 65%

Incarceration Rates (2009)
Women 114,979 - 7%
Men 1,502,490 - 93%

Child Custody Rates
Women 11,268,000 custodial mothers
Men 2,907,000 custodial fathers

US Military Deaths From 1950 2010
Women 139 - 0.001%
Men 100,063 - 99.99%

Federally Funded Battered Shelters
Women 2,000+ $300,000,000 per year
Men None $0

Federally Funded Health Offices and Research 1970 Present (not including cancer research)
Women Only Office, Projects and Programs 70+ Funds $100,000,000,000
Men Only None $0

Forced Selective Service
Women No
Men Yes

Drug and Alcohol Addiction and Abuse Rates (2010)
Women 5.8%
Men 12.2%

Divorce filings
Women - 85%
Men - 15%

Doctor Degrees(2010)
Women - 51.6%
Men - 48.4%

Master’s Degrees(2010)
Women - 60.3%
Men - 39.7%

Receive Alimony
Women: 97%
Men: 3%?

Edit - I think it is fair to say that if even a few of these stats favoured men over women, we would never hear the end of it.

I've just been told this stuff doesn't matter until we have solved the world then the less fortunate deserve no help if they are white or men
Reply 331
I've just been told this stuff doesn't matter until we have solved the world then the less fortunate deserve no help if they are white or men

Investigate the gender pay gap some more first, do a load of studies, write a load of articles telling men how easy they have it and then if there is found to be a 1% difference in pay in some areas then 'positively discriminate' in favour of women. Only then is it acceptable to talk or hear about minor issues such as men commiting suicide or making up 96% of the homeless population. Girl Power!!! xoxoxox

Notice how the females on this thread who were arguing their cases went quiet? That BBC link on sexism I posted can't be disputed.
Original post by Jd_uk
Investigate the gender pay gap some more first, do a load of studies, write a load of articles telling men how easy they have it and then if there is found to be a 1% difference in pay in some areas then 'positively discriminate' in favour of women. Only then is it acceptable to talk or hear about minor issues such as men commiting suicide or making up 96% of the homeless population. Girl Power!!! xoxoxox

Notice how the females on this thread who were arguing their cases went quiet? That BBC link on sexism I posted can't be disputed.

@jessphillips MEN DO NOT NEED THEIR OWN RIGHTS DAY. Sort out racism, misogyny and disablism first, then maybe we'll talk

@jessphillips I'm a man - and I believe the idea of "International Men's Day" is rather pathetic. I presume you won't rape me

@jessphillips White men are the single most privileged group in society. Stop with the straw man arguments

Then I mentioned a few of the things you mentioned and got instantly blocked, I have discussed these things calmly a few times but you can't do that with these white knights online
Reply 334
@jessphillips MEN DO NOT NEED THEIR OWN RIGHTS DAY. Sort out racism, misogyny and disablism first, then maybe we'll talk

@jessphillips I'm a man - and I believe the idea of "International Men's Day" is rather pathetic. I presume you won't rape me

@jessphillips White men are the single most privileged group in society. Stop with the straw man arguments

Then I mentioned a few of the things you mentioned and got instantly blocked, I have discussed these things calmly a few times but you can't do that with these white knights online

Wow...is that the politician?

Yeah, I saw a few 'white knight' comments...actually laughed out loud at one it was such a pathetic attempt to impress a certain gender.
Original post by Jd_uk
Wow...is that the politician?

Yeah, I saw a few 'white knight' comments...actually laughed out loud at one it was such a pathetic attempt to impress a certain gender.

That was what we originally started talking about the fact that Jess phillips accused people of rape threats but it wasn't her who said it although it would be believable as she laughs at male suicide
Why do you start this drama lol
Reply 337
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Why do you start this drama lol

Who's this directed at, and what drama?
Original post by Jd_uk
Who's this directed at, and what drama?

The creator of this thread, everyone knows these threads start drama.
Reply 339
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
The creator of this thread, everyone knows these threads start drama.

I think that's a good thing - it's a topic which is gaining pace because men are realising injustices and double standards which exist. Will porbably take 5-10 years to even begin to make an impact in the real world though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending