The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've made a prediction document if anyone is interested, as they normally ask the same questions and all that, don't base your revision just off of this though!
Original post by OwenSallows
Hi, I've made a prediction document if anyone is interested, as they normally ask the same questions and all that, don't base your revision just off of this though!

A pretty solid prediction. I agree with most of it. I would maybe say that verfication and CAM would be there too. They went very heavy on business last year so very unlikely it reappear

Indeed they do ask the same questions again and again. A key tip is to not get caught out regarding the wording of the questions.

Last year they wanted you to Describe the three components of an expert system whereas usually it is State. Its very easy to just look at the question and think 'omg this is so easy how many times have I seen this question'.

I'd expect some kind of changing of the wording on the essay. Long ago the question regarding methods of registration in schools wanted specific advantages, then a more recent version of the question wanted general advantages.

You really do have to be so careful. Failing to read the question can cost you dearly.
Original post by PedanticStudent
A pretty solid prediction. I agree with most of it. I would maybe say that verfication and CAM would be there too. They went very heavy on business last year so very unlikely it reappear

Indeed they do ask the same questions again and again. A key tip is to not get caught out regarding the wording of the questions.

Last year they wanted you to Describe the three components of an expert system whereas usually it is State. Its very easy to just look at the question and think 'omg this is so easy how many times have I seen this question'.

I'd expect some kind of changing of the wording on the essay. Long ago the question regarding methods of registration in schools wanted specific advantages, then a more recent version of the question wanted general advantages.

You really do have to be so careful. Failing to read the question can cost you dearly.

Ahh I never realised that! Last year I managed to get an E in the exam but get a C overall because of coursework. I felt the exam went very well but was shocked by what I got! I also feel that examples are a huge key to success, but what really counts as an example for say, accurate, up-to date and complete data? As i only received 2/4 last year from that question.
Ahh I never realised that! Last year I managed to get an E in the exam but get a C overall because of coursework. I felt the exam went very well but was shocked by what I got! I also feel that examples are a huge key to success, but what really counts as an example for say, accurate, up-to date and complete data? As i only received 2/4 last year from that question.

here are the examples I've learnt for those
Accurate: otherwise a customer could be invoiced the wrong amount from a company

Up to date: no point using a mail list of 5 years old when people have moved/or died

Complete: half a postcode will delay the delivery of goods to a customer
Original post by lemonandlime1
here are the examples I've learnt for those
Accurate: otherwise a customer could be invoiced the wrong amount from a company

Up to date: no point using a mail list of 5 years old when people have moved/or died

Complete: half a postcode will delay the delivery of goods to a customer

I used that same example for up to date and didn't get the mark! That's why examples confuse me, what do they actually want to know?
Reply 25
Ahh I never realised that! Last year I managed to get an E in the exam but get a C overall because of coursework. I felt the exam went very well but was shocked by what I got!

I thought that the exam paper was a good one except the ICT in Health: Expert systems where I honestly thought at that time that it wouldn't appear 3 times consecutively. I managed to get a high C with almost full marks on Section A, albeit a few marks in Section B. I wasn't content with my performance last year so I am resitting it :smile:
Reply 26
I used that same example for up to date and didn't get the mark! That's why examples confuse me, what do they actually want to know?

Up-to-date: information changes with time and without a date stamp could be too old to be useful
Concrete example from Mark scheme: A travel company would not have much profit from using 10 year old data on holiday patterns to decide which resort to offer this year.
Original post by Rawr97
Up-to-date: information changes with time and without a date stamp could be too old to be useful
Concrete example from Mark scheme: A travel company would not have much profit from using 10 year old data on holiday patterns to decide which resort to offer this year.

Ahh that makes a lot more sense, thanks!
Original post by Rawr97
I thought that the exam paper was a good one except the ICT in Health: Expert systems where I honestly thought at that time that it wouldn't appear 3 times consecutively. I managed to get a high C with almost full marks on Section A, albeit a few marks in Section B. I wasn't content with my performance last year so I am resitting it :smile:

What did you get in your coursework for last year and this year?! Surely a high C would put you in a good position for getting at least an A overall?

Do you think that home entertainment or even any of 'Uses of ICT in the home' will come up? Such a stupid topic
Original post by Oscar_Ross
Do you think that home entertainment or even any of 'Uses of ICT in the home' will come up? Such a stupid topic

Unlikely, however I wouldn't rule it out, we just do not know. The examiner has been known to ask the same question for three consecutive years so who knows.

If home entertainment were to appear I highly doubt it would be the 18 mark (or the 12 + 6) variety, but rather the six mark version which just asks for a development, an amplification and a benefit.

Education is on the cards for this year's essay, I really cant see it being anything else.

I agree yes it is absolutely stupid, superficial and completely irrelevant by today's standards. You must answer it in such a particular way to pick up the marks and the advantages dont really seem like advantages, but rather a description. Remember, in this exam, it is the technique which seems to matter quite a bit more than the content, so any 'advantage' or 'amplification' will be ok, so long as you have four developments you will be fine.

My personal preferences are 'Games on a device', 'Mobile phones', 'Music downloads' and 'Social networking' though I have knowledge of a few others ie: music composition, mp3 players(??? who has those) and interactive tv (the worst and most stupid one there)

With that said, home banking (online banking) has not appeared as of yet, but the examiner is well within his rights to make it appear.

Advantages of Home Banking

- Service available 24/7
- Do not need to travel to the bank
- Do not need paper statements.
- Reduced risk of identity theft as no need to destroy old statements containing account numbers
- Can easily move money between online accounts to get the best level of interest

Disadvantages of Home Banking

- Cannot withdraw cash
- Risk of hackers breaching account and transferring money away
- Tellers have reduced job security
- Some people may prefer the personal service which is not available online
- Phishing
(edited 7 years ago)
Unlikely, however I wouldn't rule it out, we just do not know. The examiner has been known to ask the same question for three consecutive years so who knows.

If home entertainment were to appear I highly doubt it would be the 18 mark (or the 12 + 6) variety, but rather the six mark version which just asks for a development, an amplification and a benefit.

Education is on the cards for this year's essay, I really cant see it being anything else.

I agree yes it is absolutely stupid, superficial and completely irrelevant by today's standards. You must answer it in such a particular way to pick up the marks and the advantages dont really seem like advantages, but rather a description. Remember, in this exam, it is the technique which seems to matter quite a bit more than the content, so any 'advantage' or 'amplification' will be ok, so long as you have four developments you will be fine.

My personal preferences are 'Games on a device', 'Mobile phones', 'Music downloads' and 'Social networking' though I have knowledge of a few others ie: music composition, mp3 players(??? who has those) and interactive tv (the worst and most stupid one there)

Alright thanks thats really helpful, i saw on one mark scheme that said a disadvantage of an mp3 player is the chance of being mugged, lolol.
Reply 32
What did you get in your coursework for last year and this year?! Surely a high C would put you in a good position for getting at least an A overall?

Last year my course work got sent off as one of the samples as 75 marks out of 80, it then came back as a D grade. I suppose it was some sort of Centre problem, which the moderator examiner takes marks away from all of the samples if the courseworks are not sufficient for their "standards" lol
Original post by Rawr97
Last year my course work got sent off as one of the samples as 75 marks out of 80, it then came back as a D grade. I suppose it was some sort of Centre problem, which the moderator examiner takes marks away from all of the samples if the courseworks are not sufficient for their "standards" lol

My teacher has been very severe with the coursework, ensuring that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. There's usually something which they are not happy with however.

Thankfully I have not been sent off for sampling, I was sent off for GCSE coursework and lost like 20 marks in total so its somebody else's turn now lol.

How does it work though? For instance, only two projects were 80/80 in my class (mine and another person's), that other person's project has been sent off, so if marks are removed from theirs, does this mean I will also be penalised?

Would not surprise me, the WJEC needs their resit money more than ever now as there are no more january papers.
My teacher has been very severe with the coursework, ensuring that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. There's usually something which they are not happy with however.

Thankfully I have not been sent off for sampling, I was sent off for GCSE coursework and lost like 20 marks in total so its somebody else's turn now lol.

How does it work though? For instance, only two projects were 80/80 in my class (mine and another person's), that other person's project has been sent off, so if marks are removed from theirs, does this mean I will also be penalised?

Would not surprise me, the WJEC needs their resit money more than ever now as there are no more january papers.

Yeah that's what's happened with us too! Last year I went from 79/80 down to 76/80, this year I got 100/100 so i'm praying that doesn't go down! I assume if the majority of coursework that is moderated is marked down, then everyone will be marked down, even if they don't look at yours.
Original post by Rawr97

Damn that's really harsh, i've never heard of marks being dropped so severely, but I guess it is all down to how your teacher marks your coursework. WJEC are such a stupid exam board, A2 is even worse.
Reply 36
Hi, are the questions always repeated in the same form or are there variations of the same question, thanks!
Original post by dbhbtrb
Hi, are the questions always repeated in the same form or are there variations of the same question, thanks!

Little variations. Just read the question thoroughly and really think about what they are asking for.
Reply 38
do you think I should do 2009 papers ? both of my teachers told me not to
Original post by AA923
do you think I should do 2009 papers ? both of my teachers told me not to

Definitely focus on 2011+

but there is no reason why you should not do the 2009 papers.

Do them if you have time. The questions are absolutely relevant albeit worded a little different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending