The Student Room Group

Girl Gaming?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Malevolent
The average guy gamer is better than the average girl gamer. Albeit I see no reason ever to bring up their gender. We're all just playing a god damn game. Couldn't give a **** if you were a dog, fish or alien. Just play the thing right.

If you have no reason to bring up gender then why would the average guy gamer be better than the average girl gamer, if they are both average?
Original post by govtandpolitics
If you have no reason to bring up gender then why would the average guy gamer be better than the average girl gamer, if they are both average?

Because someone above said they're equal and they're not. Stop taking offense to something so easily.
Because someone above said they're equal and they're not. Stop taking offense to something so easily.

Exactly. So you have just accepted the fact that their is a gender issue within gaming, as apparently girl girls aren't "equal" to guy gamers and this is exactly what I meant when I started this thread xD
Exactly. So you have just accepted the fact that their is a gender issue within gaming, as apparently girl girls aren't "equal" to guy gamers and this is exactly what I meant when I started this thread xD

No I haven't. My issue is with someone saying girls are just as good as guys gaming. Which is not true. I have no problem with girls gaming. Them getting abuse online for being a girl is different.

of course there's a gender issue in that some girls get **** just for being girls when they go online. Usually be little kids who just hit puberty or creepy people.

You're completely misunderstanding his point.
No I haven't. My issue is with someone saying girls are just as good as guys gaming. Which is not true. I have no problem with girls gaming. Them getting abuse online for being a girl is different.

of course there's a gender issue in that some girls get **** just for being girls when they go online. Usually be little kids who just hit puberty or creepy people.

Right, ok, but why cant girl gamers be just as good as guy gamers?...
Right, ok, but why cant girl gamers be just as good as guy gamers?...

They can be. Some are awesome. But the best guy gamer is better than the best girl gamer.

Small trivia fact I guess: men are better at a skill that I cannot remember the name of right now (spatial recognition or something like that) that basically boils down to being able to consider hypothetical 3D objects in imaginary 3D space. It is hard to explain exactly, but it makes males better engineers, pilots, etc., and I imagine it makes them better video gamers as well.
They can be. Some are awesome. But the best guy gamer is better than the best girl gamer.

Small trivia fact I guess: men are better at a skill that I cannot remember the name of right now (spatial recognition or something like that) that basically boils down to being able to consider hypothetical 3D objects in imaginary 3D space. It is hard to explain exactly, but it makes males better engineers, pilots, etc., and I imagine it makes them better video gamers as well.

Right, but why do you keep contradicting yourself? Before you said "my issue is with someone saying girls are just as good as guys gaming" and then you just said "they can be."? xD
Right, but why do you keep contradicting yourself? Before you said "my issue is with someone saying girls are just as good as guys gaming" and then you just said "they can be."? xD

****ing hell of course there can be girls who are better then guys. But the top guys are better than the top girls. Jesus it's like you're trying to be annoying.
****ing hell of course there can be girls who are better then guys. But the top guys are better than the top girls. Jesus it's like you're trying to be annoying.

All I'm trying to get at is that you keep changing your mind about everything! And its hard to discuss something with someone who cant make their mind up
All I'm trying to get at is that you keep changing your mind about everything! And its hard to discuss something with someone who cant make their mind up

I haven't changed my mind about anything. My initial issue was someone saying a girls are just as good as guys at gaming which isn't true. I have no problem with girls gaming though.

Of course there will be a couple of exceptions to this but they are not the norm. Look at the e-sports world. Guys dominate. They would absolutely wipe the floor with with the girl counterparts.
It's like this person is deliberately trying to get offended :rofl:

This is painful. Just shut up, you're embarrassing yourself.
I haven't changed my mind about anything. My initial issue was someone saying a girls are just as good as guys at gaming which isn't true. I have no problem with girls gaming though.

Of course there will be a couple of exceptions to this but they are not the norm. Look at the e-sports world. Guys dominate. They would absolutely wipe the floor with with the girl counterparts.

But why isn't it true?! Just because games are male dominated people like you assume the girls who do play video games aren't going to be as good as people never expect this in the male dominated area. But the girls who spend just as much time or interest in video games as guys have just as much chance as being good as them.
But why isn't it true?! Just because games are male dominated people like you assume the girls who do play video games aren't going to be as good as people never expect this in the male dominated area. But the girls who spend just as much time or interest in video games as guys have just as much chance as being good as them.

Dude read what he posted above. Stop being thick
Female gamers don't usually go around explictly stating that they're girls randomly, so I don't see why there'd be any comments against them. If you start shouting "Hey, hey guys! I'm a girl!!!", then you will probably get some stereotypical sexist comments. Half of them will just be jokes though, just like a lot of people joke around when somebody shouts anything else about themselves out. I've seen people ask everyone whey come from before, and if somebody states their nationality, the response is usually a few stereotypical jokes about that nationality, e.g. if a Welshman brags about being Welsh, they'll be called a sheepshagger.(I'm Welsh and that's happened to me when somebody asked me where I come from)

Don't look too deeply into it. At the end of the day, nobody really cares what race, gender, species, or whatever you are. You'll get a few stupid comments, but everyone will just keep playing as normal once those comments have died down, and those comments are rarely serious. They're usually more making fun of the stereotypes than making fun of you, though obviously, there might be the occasional actually sexist person present.
The thing is that guys have an advantage in gaming, particularly FPS because they scientifically have faster reaction times. They are only faster by a small margin, but in a game where you need to be quick on your feet, those few microseconds/frames per second make all the difference.

Also I think the fact that boys typically do start playing games from a younger age makes a difference since they have more experience and therefore know more about FPS and have trained to make their reaction time even shorter. It was the social norm way back when that guys are typically the ones to play video games and girls, not so much (but back them there wasn't any FPS really but reaction times did still matter). Now though it is more common for girls to play games but I personally feel that they don't get into it as early as guys do. Even if a guy and girl start playing a game at the exact same time and practise, the guy generally will have that advance.

There are many amazing gamers who are girls out their and maybe just don't get the recognition unless their breasts are out on camera or unless they act stupid or they jumped onto the bandwagon too late etc.

In the end ... no one cares about you, just how well you play the game.
Tbh, I think that the most common reaction for guys on servers towards girl gamers is to immediately act like a nice guy and try to pick them up.

Well that's what I seem to notice most of the time
Did you know a recent study in 2014 said that 52% of females play videogames?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/52-percent-people-playing-games-women-industry-doesnt-know

(Idk if the guardian is a reliable source)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Starlight15
I can consider myself a gamer but I'm like RPG and action adventure types of games (for example Assassin's Creed or Quantum Break, Misao and so many more) I'm not the type to play COD etc. I have lots of female friends who love videogames just like me but I will never call myself a "female gamer"

did you know a recent study in 2014 said that 52% of females play videogames?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/52-percent-people-playing-games-women-industry-doesnt-know

(Idk if the guardian is a reliable source)

Really :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest