The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My essays are roughly 900 - 1000 words but everytime I write them out they seem to be cut down by about 100-150 words and it's not as if I am missing out points it's more I'm changing the wording and paraphrasing! Is anyone else having this problem because after I've written them out they seek rather short 😭
Original post by ellie0497
Could lifespan change in sleep ever be a full 24 marker?

Yes it can - i've done this in class, here is my essay got 19/24 - gives you some idea
How many A02 points? (excluding idas) :colondollar:
Original post by eloiserosalie
keep doing these please really good to watch after having done a practice essay to consolidate!

I have two more up! so check them out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzg52S5YYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmQLzUnj_0U

Check these out guys! 4 aggression videos done and 1 Sz, 1 relationship and 1 Sleep and bio rhythms! More to come!
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
My essays are roughly 900 - 1000 words but everytime I write them out they seem to be cut down by about 100-150 words and it's not as if I am missing out points it's more I'm changing the wording and paraphrasing! Is anyone else having this problem because after I've written them out they seek rather short 😭

Same here! I think when its typed its a lot more wordy and when written by hand its consise! I have the same problem but i manage to get the same marks!
I'm doing for psya3 - relationships, sleep and eating behaviour
and psya4 - depression and media
Original post by Bailey2j09
I'm doing for psya3 - relationships, sleep and eating behaviour
and psya4 - depression and media

I'm doing 2 of the same for psya3 i'm doing relationships, eating and aggression and then for psya4 i'm doing schizophrenia and anomalistic
How you feeling about psya4?
Original post by Naveed Rahman

Check these out guys! 4 aggression videos done and 1 Sz, 1 relationship and 1 Sleep and bio rhythms! More to come!

Hey Naveed, were you the one saying earlier in the thread that you shouldn't methodologically evaluate a study?
Original post by Hihihi123
Hey Naveed, were you the one saying earlier in the thread that you shouldn't methodologically evaluate a study?

No, i strongly belief you should criticise a study in depth, methodologically whilst linking it back to the question
Reply 1070
How many UMS marks in total would you need to achieve an A*?
I'm doing 2 of the same for psya3 i'm doing relationships, eating and aggression and then for psya4 i'm doing schizophrenia and anomalistic
How you feeling about psya4?

Not sure - predictions are likely to be wrong as 2 different papers were sat last year because one was stolen. Need to learn a few more essays for unit 4 but should be ready in time.
Original post by Naveed Rahman
No, i strongly belief you should criticise a study in depth, methodologically whilst linking it back to the question

Oh great then you're exactly who i was looking to talk to!! How exactly do you link it back to the question? I've been finding it so hard to do! So for example, if I said: "However, Mann's study had a very small participant pool, thus confounding variables such as individual differences may affect the overall result, limiting the internal validity of the study, and thus undermines the role of serotonin in aggression as a whole, as if it's supporting empirical evidence is flawed, the theory itself lacks credibility."Would that be okay in linking it back to the question and acceptable methodological evaluation?

Can you give an example of your methodological linking please also?

Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by dpka1
How many UMS marks in total would you need to achieve an A*?

To get an A* you need enough UMS for an A which is 320 and need to average 90% in A2 papers
Not sure - predictions are likely to be wrong as 2 different papers were sat last year because one was stolen. Need to learn a few more essays for unit 4 but should be ready in time.

How are you dividing your time between this one and psya4? Do you have any other exams between them?
Reply 1075
I don't get lifespan changes in sleep. I understand the whole outlining of changing sleep as we age and know it all by heart. But, what I don't get is how we evaluate it. Do we treat "lifespan changes in sleep" as a theory and evaluate why this information of lifespan changes may be wrong/correct? Or, do we treat the outlining as pure scientific fact, from observation? If it's the latter, then I don't get how we can evaluate it.
How are you dividing your time between this one and psya4? Do you have any other exams between them?

I have a chemistry paper after paper 4 unfortunately the same day. I vary by revision by doing a subject per day. However im now doing a day for psya3 and a different for psya4 to fit it all in. I've learned the majority of stuff and can write something for every question but some i need to learn more content for.
Original post by Im130
I don't get lifespan changes in sleep. I understand the whole outlining of changing sleep as we age and know it all by heart. But, what I don't get is how we evaluate it. Do we treat "lifespan changes in sleep" as a theory and evaluate why this information of lifespan changes may be wrong/correct? Or, do we treat the outlining as pure scientific fact, from observation? If it's the latter, then I don't get how we can evaluate it.

I got 19/24 on this
Oh great then you're exactly who i was looking to talk to!! How exactly do you link it back to the question? I've been finding it so hard to do! So for example, if I said: "However, Mann's study had a very small participant pool, thus confounding variables such as individual differences may affect the overall result, limiting the internal validity of the study, and thus undermines the role of serotonin in aggression as a whole, as if it's supporting empirical evidence is flawed, the theory itself lacks credibility."Would that be okay in linking it back to the question and acceptable methodological evaluation?

Can you give an example of your methodological linking please also?

Thanks!! :smile:

Yes that is great as you first said what the flaw was e.g small participant pool (POINT), you then gave an (EXAMPLE) individual differences may have affected the overall result, you then (ANALYSED) therefore this lowers the internal validity of the study then (linked back to the question) undermining the role of serotonin-the hormone, in aggression (directly answering the question)

If i was an examiner i would be ticking that paragraph and awarding marks! Its good, well done!
Reply 1079
I got 19/24 on this

Yeah I've read your essay and it's more or less stuff that's in my textbook, but I don't get how it works. If it does come up, I will pretty much write the A01 and evaluation I saw in the textbook.

But, I don't understand what's going on in terms of what it is exactly that we're evaluating. For instance, Kripke et al's study of long sleep in adults being bad is supposedly an evaluation point. But an evaluation of what exactly?

When we outline the nature of sleep, it doesn't feel like we're outlining a theory provided by researchers. It's not like we're writing "This researcher proposes that adults should sleep 8 hours a night." Instead, we say "Infants sleep 16 hours, adolescents sleep 10-12 hours and adults sleep 8 hours". So saying a study found that sleeping for longer hours increases mortality risk doesn't seem like an "evaluation" of the outlining we do.

Btw, this isn't me critiquing your essay. You've made the same points I read in the textbook.

Latest

Trending

Trending