The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Biomedical & Health Science - Course Ambassador Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi everyone,
Welcome to my usual weekly update from the heart of MDX - week beginning 25/04/16.

It is exams period; library is packed, lecturers are swamped with papers-marking and student emails, the atmosphere is tense and every where you look there are students battling with books for last-minutes-revision. Go you and smash it! it is the slogan that used among students to motivate themselves.

At the moment, I am revising for my cellular science exam on Tuesday. The module concerns about the appropriate usage of histochemical (histology+chemistry) application in the identification and the differentiation between healthy and unhealthy human tissues e.g. malignant and benign tumours. Basically, how would you use different dyes (chemical substance that colours tissues) to obtain the correct diagnosis.

As always, I cannot conclude my update unless I share with you some of MDX achievement. As you maybe aware of, this week, Middlesex University has risen to 78th (11 places) in the completeuniversityguide.co.uk's annual league table of UK universities, ranking it as the second highest modern university in London and 12th highest overall in the capital. #proud!

That all for me this week and, until I see you next week study hard!

Regards,

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Biomedical and Healthcare Science
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Original post by Mo at MDX
Hi Alina,
Thank you for asking me again,
Third year biomedical science is more like independent; students are given more free time to be able to work on their theses, whether it is laboratory based or literature based. Still there are lectures, seminar and practical laboratory their need to attended but the timetable is not hectic as second year.

I am not aware of any year 3 advance entry, what we do however is year two entry either by transferring from other universities or someone who had been successful during the interview. Regarding the HCPC portfolio you should either be transferred onto our applied biomedical science course or have arranged your own placement to be able to complete the portfolio.
I hope that helps,

Best Wishes

Mohamed Farah

Thanks Mo,
Yes, I got year 3 as point of entry.
Do you know which date will start the year as I will have to go out of country for few days biggining of October.

Alina
Mo, Good luck with your exam tomorrow and let us know how was it.
Reply 63
Original post by alina.corina
Mo, Good luck with your exam tomorrow and let us know how was it.

Thank you very much Alina! I will do
Original post by sara1986
Good evening dear Mo,
I would like to ask a question.

I was offered a place at Middlesex to study biomedical science with a foundation year

And so my dream came true...

I was told that the tutors were very impressed by my application and so I was wondering whether it is possible to study biomedical science without foundation year and not having the exact entry requirements. As I would save one year ;-)

Thank you
Sara

Im doing the same thing- hopefully i can go ahead without the foundation year
Good luck
Reply 65
Original post by steph_pestana
Good luck

Hi Steph,
I hope things will be as the way you want it to be!
I just want to emphasise on the importance of communication with admission team as they will know what is the right answer to your question regarding foundation year. The foundation year is extremely important for students with little science background in their previous education. From experience we know that student who are undergone foundation are more likely to achieve better than those who are have not. Nonetheless, I recommend you to contact the admission and explain your wishes so, you will get more understating on the choices that available to make your decision.
Good Luck,

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex Course Ambassador.
Reply 66
Hi All,

Welcome back to my weekly update from MDX week beginning 02/03/16

We are in the exam’s period and, there aren’t big things going on campus but I am going to talk to you about my exams and how they been so far both year 1&2. Perhaps that will give you more information about the type of assessment we do in MDX and, if you are a prospect student it will be advantageous to you to be informed one step ahead than other students. OK! Here it comes

In my first year I undertook three exams, although we done five modules but the other two was based on assignments and ongoing assessment. . Human science, Cell science and biochemistry were the modules that we have been examined on. Since your achievement in first year is not counted toward your degree; two of the exams were MCQs. In general, the exams were average and, most students have passed them.

In the second year, is where you will acquire those essential skills of laboratory practice and the in-depth knowledge in the biomedical field so, you have to be on track! You will be given clear objectives and ultimate support to make the best of you, and hopefully, all that hard work will pay off in your exams and other assessments.

There are four exams in the second year I have done two so far. Blood science (haematology) was on Friday the 29/03: we got seven short case studies in which brief patient history was given and my task was to identify the morphological changes in blood film, suggest the right diagnosis and propose treatment and further management. Also, calculation to estimate the efficiency of some fatal organs such as kidneys (glomerular filtration rate) was involved.

On Tuesday, we have cellular science (histology) exam, and the exam consist of identification of morphological abnormality on tissue that stained with different chemical dyes and, whether this abnormality is alarming (need further investigation from medical profession) or otherwise. Furthermore, students’ knowledge about laboratory apparatus and, how to use them safely was part of the exam. All good so far, as I believe that I did well in both exam and hopefully that will extend to the remaining two clinical science and molecular biology (genetics) on the 13th&17th of May respectively.

That’s it for me this week I hope you all enjoy that, till I see you next week say tuned and keep working hard.

Best wishes,

Mohamed Farah
Hi Steph,
I hope things will be as the way you want it to be!
I just want to emphasise on the importance of communication with admission team as they will know what is the right answer to your question regarding foundation year. The foundation year is extremely important for students with little science background in their previous education. From experience we know that student who are undergone foundation are more likely to achieve better than those who are have not. Nonetheless, I recommend you to contact the admission and explain your wishes so, you will get more understating on the choices that available to make your decision.
Good Luck,

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex Course Ambassador.

Hi mo. Thank you for your reply. Ive emailed the admissions team and im waiting for a reply. I just feel that i am more than able yo go straight onto first year as my access course has prepared me well. We will see what they say !
Hi, again.
i know it depends on the course but on average of the first year of uni, do you have lectures every day on weekdays or can you sometimes have a day off?
Reply 69
Original post by JubilationXXV
Hi, again.
i know it depends on the course but on average of the first year of uni, do you have lectures every day on weekdays or can you sometimes have a day off?

Hi Jubilation,
Nice to hear from you again!
For my first year, in average, I used to come to the university 3 days a week. Having said that there are some courses, which will require less or more attendance, although I believe most courses runs for 3 days a week.
I hope I have addressed your question and sorry for the late response!

Mohamed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 70
Hi everyone,

Welcome to my weekly update from the heart of MDX. It is has been an amazing year that I have spent on campus. The exams are over and the summer holiday has begun. While waiting anxiously for the results, some students have gone to their holiday either abroad or within the UK. Me on the other hand, I am still working with MDX and keep visiting the campus once and while.

The course ambassadors’ scheme and its members are planning to create a virtual tour across the campus: recording different areas of MDX featured by the course ambassadors’ voice explaining some of MDX landmarks. We are yet to know when these videos will be finalised and ready for public viewing;however we are planning to be ready somewhere next month.

On the 11th of June an open day will be held by Middlesex University, it is a great opportunity for those who could not have attended the previous open days to come and have a chat and interact with staff and student who are already working and experienced the atmosphere of MDX. If you have not had the chance to visit us before I strongly recommend you to take the advantage of this opportunity and come along with you family and friends.

I know most of you are doing their final exam and I would like to use this opportunity to wish you very good luck: may all you wish come true!

That is it from me this week, until I see you next week stay tuned!

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex University Course Ambassador
biomedical and healthcare science
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Good luck

I got in
No foundation year for me
Entirely happy for that

Going for an open day on Saturday 11/6
Reply 72
Good luck

Good luck Steph to you as well
Let us know
😊
Reply 73
Hi everyone,

Welcome to my weekly update from the heart of MDX. It is has been an amazing year that I have spent on campus. The exams are over and the summer holiday has begun. While waiting anxiously for the results, some students have gone to their holiday either abroad or within the UK. Me on the other hand, I am still working with MDX and keep visiting the campus once and while.

The course ambassadors’ scheme and its members are planning to create a virtual tour across the campus: recording different areas of MDX featured by the course ambassadors’ voice explaining some of MDX landmarks. We are yet to know when these videos will be finalised and ready for public viewing;however we are planning to be ready somewhere next month.

On the 11th of June an open day will be held by Middlesex University, it is a great opportunity for those who could not have attended the previous open days to come and have a chat and interact with staff and student who are already working and experienced the atmosphere of MDX. If you have not had the chance to visit us before I strongly recommend you to take the advantage of this opportunity and come along with you family and friends.

I know most of you are doing their final exam and I would like to use this opportunity to wish you very good luck: may all you wish come true!

That is it from me this week, until I see you next week stay tuned!

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex University Course Ambassador
biomedical and healthcare science

Thanks a lot Mo
I find this special Middlesex biomedical science thread extremely useful

Very kind of you

Sara
Reply 74
Original post by sara1986
Thanks a lot Mo
I find this special Middlesex biomedical science thread extremely useful

Very kind of you

Sara

You are welcome, glad to help
Reply 75
Hi all,

Welcome again to my weekly update from Middlesex University. This week the world of science has proposed a radical andrather controversial invention and, I would like to share with you the storyand its implication.

The shortages in the organ donation have led scientists inthe United State - Universityof California - to attempt to grow human tissue inside pigs. The procedure itis very complicated and I can write an entire essay on how it is done but I willtry to summarise it.

The gene editing technique will allow the removal of theanimal DNA from its newly fertilised cell, and subsequently human stem cellwill be injected to the pig embryo. The human-pig chimeric embryos are beingallowed to develop in the sows for 28 days before the pregnancies areterminated and the tissue removed for analysis.

The hope and purpose of this approach is to obtain pancreas thatmade almost exclusively out of human cells and could be compatible with apatient for transplantation. The flip-side of the coin however, is what if thehuman cells might migrate to the developing pig's brain and make it, in someway, more human?! No one would like to imagine that picture and its consequences.

That is all from me this week, before I go I would like remind you about the open-day on the 11th this coming Saturday, to come and have your question answered either by myself or other staff-members.

Mohamed Farah
Hi again,

I only have 3 more exams left but my Maths exam went really badly and now I feel like I wouldn't be able to receive 280 UCAS points. I was wondering if Neuroscience at Middlesex is a particularly over subscribed course? And how likely would it be for the university to accept me with lower grades? Like 20 or 40 UCAS points lower?

Thank you
Hello Mo,
I would like to ask you a question.
I have done some research and I have found that after a degree it is a real struggle to find a job.
Especially when the actual clinical experience, which is crucial for getting a job after graduation, is available just for very few students. 4 out of 150 at Middlesex
which is roughly 2,7%

I have concluded that there is no regulation over the biomedical science course and basically each university is offering this course for let's say 150 students per year per university. I quickly found the course being offered by 8 London universities which means 1200 graduated biomedical scientist each year.
Possibly even more.
Can you tell me how it is with empoyability after the graduation?

I know that there is always "employability statistics" but employment in retail or hospitality is really not relevant to me. How many students out of 150 actually get the laboratory or any relevant job ?

Perhaps the job market is already over saturated.
I found a statistics which says
That nearly 60% of graduates biomedical scientist is employed
The rest is in further studying, employed, working & studying, unemployed or other

And according to the employment statistics
Type of job (biomedical scientists graduates)
Health professional - 21%
Technician and other profession -14%
Retail, catering and bar work - 12%
Caring and education work - 11%
Other - 42%
(https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences)

This is quite sad reading
And so I think, that to discus if biomedical scientist can earn far over £30.000 pounds is rather extraordinary.

I think, that the part of the discussion should be called "how to get a job at band 5 (which starts on £21.000) when not having professional portfolio
(Because the placement is available only to 2,7% students or if you are happy to add extra year to your undergraduate degree, to 13,4% when doing an extra year = sandwich year 20 students out of 150 get the placement)

Thank you for your opinion
Emily
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by JubilationXXV
Hi again,

I only have 3 more exams left but my Maths exam went really badly and now I feel like I wouldn't be able to receive 280 UCAS points. I was wondering if Neuroscience at Middlesex is a particularly over subscribed course? And how likely would it be for the university to accept me with lower grades? Like 20 or 40 UCAS points lower?

Thank you

Hi Jubilation,
I am sorry to keep you waiting I have sign off this page as I went on my summer holiday.
Nonetheless, I am really sorry to hear that things were not going as the way you wanted for your Maths exam. But don't worry we have brilliant clearing team who will be able to help you and advice you on the issue that you are experiencing. Please use the following link to fine more information: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/clearing

Best wishes,
Mohamed.
Reply 79
Original post by Emily.Hepburn
Hello Mo,
I would like to ask you a question.
I have done some research and I have found that after a degree it is a real struggle to find a job.
Especially when the actual clinical experience, which is crucial for getting a job after graduation, is available just for very few students. 4 out of 150 at Middlesex
which is roughly 2,7%

I have concluded that there is no regulation over the biomedical science course and basically each university is offering this course for let's say 150 students per year per university. I quickly found the course being offered by 8 London universities which means 1200 graduated biomedical scientist each year.
Possibly even more.
Can you tell me how it is with empoyability after the graduation?

I know that there is always "employability statistics" but employment in retail or hospitality is really not relevant to me. How many students out of 150 actually get the laboratory or any relevant job ?

Perhaps the job market is already over saturated.
I found a statistics which says
That nearly 60% of graduates biomedical scientist is employed
The rest is in further studying, employed, working & studying, unemployed or other

And according to the employment statistics
Type of job (biomedical scientists graduates)
Health professional - 21%
Technician and other profession -14%
Retail, catering and bar work - 12%
Caring and education work - 11%
Other - 42%
(https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences)

This is quite sad reading
And so I think, that to discus if biomedical scientist can earn far over £30.000 pounds is rather extraordinary.

I think, that the part of the discussion should be called "how to get a job at band 5 (which starts on £21.000) when not having professional portfolio
(Because the placement is available only to 2,7% students or if you are happy to add extra year to your undergraduate degree, to 13,4% when doing an extra year = sandwich year 20 students out of 150 get the placement)

Thank you for your opinion
Emily

Hi Emily,
thank you for asking me,
clearly you have done a lot of research and have concluded that employability is very tough and competitive after completing the three year degree of biomed.
Allow me to say, that it is true however this is also the case with every other course in the UK; even those courses who are NHS funded you need to have very strong interpersonal and stand out from the crowd to be employed. In other word, it is down to how much offer you put in while you on the course.

My opinion on what you gathered is; biomedical science is a degree that gives you a lot of options - I mean professional option - among which: laboratory technician, teaching, further study, research projects, forensic, etc. Therefore, you have more chance to be employed in your profession as there are more vacancies than, if you studied accountancy or law. Also, if you got the passionate you will definitely do well and shine from your early days in the university.

Despite the importance of having decent career, I strongly recommend you not to worry about it at this stage, as it will disturb and distract your focus. If you really want to study biomedical make your will and go ahead, if you not sure however, take a minute and ask yourself where do you see yourself in the future, and upon that question and answer build your decision.

I wish you very good luck and if you have further query please do not hesitate to ask me,

Mohamed Farah
Biomedical and healthcare science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending