The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naveed Rahman
Yes that is great as you first said what the flaw was e.g small participant pool (POINT), you then gave an (EXAMPLE) individual differences may have affected the overall result, you then (ANALYSED) therefore this lowers the internal validity of the study then (linked back to the question) undermining the role of serotonin-the hormone, in aggression (directly answering the question)

If i was an examiner i would be ticking that paragraph and awarding marks! Its good, well done!

Great! Thanks so much Naveed! I'm sorry to ask but could I possibly send you an essay i've written? I have no teacher so i've been having to do it alone, so if you could take a look and tell me of theres anything i need to improve that would be so helpful!
Original post by Im130
Yeah I've read your essay and it's more or less stuff that's in my textbook, but I don't get how it works. If it does come up, I will pretty much write the A01 and evaluation I saw in the textbook.

But, I don't understand what's going on in terms of what it is exactly that we're evaluating. For instance, Kripke et al's study of long sleep in adults being bad is supposedly an evaluation point. But an evaluation of what exactly?

When we outline the nature of sleep, it doesn't feel like we're outlining a theory provided by researchers. It's not like we're writing "This researcher proposes that adults should sleep 8 hours a night." Instead, we say "Infants sleep 16 hours, adolescents sleep 10-12 hours and adults sleep 8 hours". So saying a study found that sleeping for longer hours increases mortality risk doesn't seem like an "evaluation" of the outlining we do.

Btw, this isn't me critiquing your essay. You've made the same points I read in the textbook.

I do get your point and i dont like the essay either, just got to learn it though in case it comes up - i feel it is unlikely though as a 4 marker on lifespan changes came up in 2014 and there are other essays that a more overdue
Original post by Sian-97
(Sorry if this has already been asked - don't have time to read the whole thread)

For PSYA3 Sleep, Loopa predicted biological rhythms (circadian/infradian/ultradian). Would it be risky to just learn circadian (as a 24m) and ultradian (as a 12m)...

Our teacher told us that the Loopa man is a complete numpty and has no idea what he's on about. We've been told that we may get those as 4 mark questions, but if it was an essay it would be on pacemakers and zeitgebers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellie0497
Could lifespan change in sleep ever be a full 24 marker?

In theory, but it's very unlikely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hihihi123
Great! Thanks so much Naveed! I'm sorry to ask but could I possibly send you an essay i've written? I have no teacher so i've been having to do it alone, so if you could take a look and tell me of theres anything i need to improve that would be so helpful!

If you send it i could definitely mark it and tell you what what mark it is? (because my teacher taught me how to mark as i want to become a psychology teacher) I will also send you my essay of the same one you did which you could take bits from
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1085
I honestly do doubt you'll ever be asked to evaluate infradian or ultradian rhythms.

I can imagine a layout like this in the exam:

"Describe examples of an ultradian rhythm and an infradian rhythm (4 + 4 marks)

Evaluate research into circadian rhythms (16 marks)"

Or,

"Describe research into, circadian, ultradian and/or infridian rhythms (8 marks)

Evaaluate the role of endogenous pacemakers/exogenous zeitgebers in regulating biological rhythms (16 marks)"

But I'm no expert and am just a student like you guys, so don't take my word for it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
Haha I'm sure you'll do great! I'm still not panicking if that says anything :P I'm just trying to perfect essays and decide which ones to prioritise as well, I'm so scared they won't follow the pattern and throw in essays that have already come up recently!

AQA are so dodgy! I don't trust them!
Watch it be a repeat of one of the questions from last year
Fingers crossed for a nice paper
I would rather straight up 25 mark essay questions than
little 4+8 mark questions
Original post by Naveed Rahman
If you send it i could definitely mark it and tell you what what mark it is? (because my teacher taught me how to mark as i want to become a psychology teacher) I will also send you my essay of the same one you did which you could take bits from

I've pm'ed the essay to you! Thanks so much!!!! :smile:
Original post by Im130
I honestly do doubt you'll ever be asked to evaluate infradian or ultradian rhythms.

I can imagine a layout like this in the exam:

"Describe examples of an ultradian rhythm and an infradian rhythm (4 + 4 marks)

Evaluate research into circadian rhythms (16 marks)"

Or,

"Describe research into, circadian, ultradian and/or infridian rhythms (8 marks)

Evaaluate the role of endogenous pacemakers/exogenous zeitgebers in regulating biological rhythms (16 marks)"

But I'm no expert and am just a student like you guys, so don't take my word for it

Will it definitely won't be the 1st option, as it has to be 8 AO1 and 16 AO2
Reply 1089
Original post by TMC113
Will it definitely won't be the 1st option, as it has to be 8 AO1 and 16 AO2

The first one is 8 marks A01 and 16 marks A02. "4 + 4" is to show that you HAVE to do both ultradian and infradian. 4 A01 marks for describing an ultradian and 4 A01 for describing an infradian. So even if you do 8 marks worth of outlining for 1 of them, you'll get max 4/8 if you don't do the other one. I'm sure I've seen this structure somewhere before.

And alternatively, it could ask "Describe examples of ultradian and/or infradian rhythms (8 marks)" where you don't have to do both, and if you do, then you don't have to do them equally
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1090
I know what you guys are thinking........."do we have an actual AQA examiner, here, among us??? so amazingly setting out new exam questions like dat" amirite or amirite?
Original post by Im130
The first one is 8 marks A01 and 16 marks A02. "4 + 4" is to show that you HAVE to do both ultradian and infradian. 4 A01 marks for describing an ultradian and 4 A01 for describing an infradian. So even if you do 8 marks worth of outlining for 1 of them, you'll get max 4/8 if you don't do the other one. I'm sure I've seen this structure somewhere before.

And alternatively, it could ask "Describe examples of ultradian and/or infradian rhythms (8 marks)" where you don't have to do both, and if you do, then you don't have to do them equally

Oh I see, I think they'd just go for 8 marks for both, although I doubt they will at all
Does anyone have any material (essays, plans, notes, mind maps) on intelligence? I find this topic extremely boring and we haven't actually done much on it in lessons...
Can you lose marks for only including 2 studies in some essays even if your cover all the evaluation marks
Original post by m1gg1n
Can you lose marks for only including 2 studies in some essays even if your cover all the evaluation marks

I usually use 2 or 3, you can't lose marks, only gain them. As long as you elaborate well, you should be fine
Original post by xxsv
does anyone have predictions for the research & methods part of psy4?

also, how do u lot learn so many essays off by heart? i usually just learn my notes off by heart and i already know the structures. is that a bad idea?

You can't really predict RM… as there are so many questions. You could always do a CONTENT ANALYSIS, to find out what comes up often... For example, stats tests almost always appear in some form
Hi guys! More videos coming very soon, subscribe to keep updated thanks! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1WbqyvMNBEC0q1jN6nGieg
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
My essays are roughly 900 - 1000 words but everytime I write them out they seem to be cut down by about 100-150 words and it's not as if I am missing out points it's more I'm changing the wording and paraphrasing! Is anyone else having this problem because after I've written them out they seek rather short 😭

I never really do it on comp so i cant tell how many pages it would be, i normally do 5-6 written pages for each essay that ive memorized
How's the revision going folks? I feel really demotivated and left the revision for the last minute instead of learning from my mistakes last year! (I'm retaking). :colondollar: I'm risking but I'll be only teaching myself 11 essays for PSYA3 that in my opinion are most likely to come up. I am really interested in psych and this is what I want to do at uni but I find the topics that we're doing extremely boring!
Original post by TMC113
Our teacher told us that the Loopa man is a complete numpty and has no idea what he's on about. We've been told that we may get those as 4 mark questions, but if it was an essay it would be on pacemakers and zeitgebers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont know how your teacher could call someone numpty, when hes probably helped thousands of students achieve As in psych, besides hes already said they are merely predictions and always advises never to just revise those, but his track record is pretty good, he predicted the psay2 paper correctly.

Latest

Trending

Trending