The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AKC...
They can only ever ask the same sort of string manipulation kind of questions. Learn how to do this and all should be good. I'm in the same boat, but I've spent the past 4 days doing 453 just to make sure I know that. After that's done I'll spend some time on 452.

Im pretty bad at doing the algorithms under pressure, didnt complete 1 of the many they put in last years exam. Got any tips?
Reply 81
Original post by MrSplash
Im pretty bad at doing the algorithms under pressure, didnt complete 1 of the many they put in last years exam. Got any tips?

I'm in a similar boat, I will give you tips after I look at the syllabus. I reckon it can't be too hard to learn if it's an AS module.
Reply 82
Hello! Also taking this exam on the 22nd. I got 72/80 for my F454 project (but due to having a bias teacher I'm going to speak to my school examiner about getting it marked externally). I feel that the best way of revising for F543 is just learning the mark-schemes as questions are very repetitive.
On a side note can anybody please tell me an example when procedural and OO language would be used? Thanks!
Reply 83
Original post by Ec0n
Hello! Also taking this exam on the 22nd. I got 72/80 for my F454 project (but due to having a bias teacher I'm going to speak to my school examiner about getting it marked externally). I feel that the best way of revising for F543 is just learning the mark-schemes as questions are very repetitive.
On a side note can anybody please tell me an example when procedural and OO language would be used? Thanks!

I would say procedural is used in a circumstance where you know exactly what you want the computing to do (such as adding up values in an array).
Object oriented I'm unsure about, I've never seen it asked that way. As long as you can describe it and demonstrate the use (such as through UML diagrams) then I think you'll be okay.
Reply 84

Which in particular? I've done it by understanding what has to be done, thinking about how I would do it, and memorising the examples in previous papers.
Reply 85
Mine is a vb program using sql to connect to a database... I got 74, it shouldnt be a problem if you have sufficient amount of code and alpha testing in your implementation.

I used the same and got 79/80
Anyone retaking F451 or F452? If so what do you think the grade boundaries will be like considering it'll only be us retakes sitting the exams?
Original post by Ec0n

Procedural is generally used in problem-oriented applications, such as financial calculations in a bank. The reason being is that procedural languages contain many mathematical functions, they are easy to maintain and contain library routines for performing common tasks like searching or sorting.

Object oriented uses data encapsulation, which would ensure the integrity of data and hide data in applications where it is needed.
Original post by Hazzer98
Which in particular? I've done it by understanding what has to be done, thinking about how I would do it, and memorising the examples in previous papers.

Usually understanding the problem. I have done every past paper tgough amd i think i have improved
Reply 89
Hiya can anyone explain how Case-select statements are done in pseudocode? Thanks!
Reply 90
Original post by AKC...
Hiya can anyone explain how Case-select statements are done in pseudocode? Thanks!

Normally they're aren't used in pseudo as they're specific to a language, use an IF statement with ELSEIF conditions instead
Reply 91
Normally they're aren't used in pseudo as they're specific to a language, use an IF statement with ELSEIF conditions instead

No there are and have been questions in the past which ask you to convert IF/THEN statements into CASE/SELECT statements in pseudocode.
Reply 92
Original post by AKC...
No there are and have been questions in the past which ask you to convert IF/THEN statements into CASE/SELECT statements in pseudocode.

I've been through every past paper many times and never seen that question, also I am fairly certain in what I said, it's also very unlikely as is not mentioned in the specification. As long as you're comfortable with IF statements you'll be fine.
Reply 93
I've been through every past paper many times and never seen that question, also I am fairly certain in what I said, it's also very unlikely as is not mentioned in the specification. As long as you're comfortable with IF statements you'll be fine.

Depends on the paper you're talking about, I'm talking about F452
Reply 94
Original post by AKC...
Depends on the paper you're talking about, I'm talking about F452

You should've stated that, this is an F453 thread.
Reply 95
You should've stated that, this is an F453 thread.

Read up mate, the subject of the thread has been F452 for a while. Either way, I was asking for help on it, doesn't really matter if it's on the paper or not.
Reply 96
Original post by AKC...
Read up mate, the subject of the thread has been F452 for a while. Either way, I was asking for help on it, doesn't really matter if it's on the paper or not.

Only a few replies, this is still majorly F453. I did offer some help and you disagreed, I'm only here to try and help as I find this subject natural and easier than most and wish to help others that struggle.
Reply 97
Only a few replies, this is still majorly F453. I did offer some help and you disagreed, I'm only here to try and help as I find this subject natural and easier than most and wish to help others that struggle.

Dude, if you want to help, help. I'm not asking for a giant justification about what just happened. You didn't offer any help, and I didn't disagree with anything except the statement that CASE SELECT statements aren't on the spec, which they are. Anything from F452 can come up in 453 by the way.
Reply 98
Anyone got the June 15 F451 and F452 papers w/ MS?
Reply 99
Original post by AKC...
Dude, if you want to help, help. I'm not asking for a giant justification about what just happened. You didn't offer any help, and I didn't disagree with anything except the statement that CASE SELECT statements aren't on the spec, which they are. Anything from F452 can come up in 453 by the way.

I'm sorry that my help was of no use, however I am correct that Case statements are not on the spec for F453, only F452. They've never asked about F452 content in a F453 paper before so I feel it would be unlikely to happen now, especially with it being the last one examined. Hopefully this clears things up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending