The Student Room Group

Eu: In or out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellodave5
I don't get why being in Europe limits trade outside of Europe?

Thats the point, it shouldn't but due to the protectionist nature of the EU and the clear European obsession by many on the remain side it is limiting trade outside
I might be voting leave. But I understand that both sides have advantages and maybe disadvantages.

I have really nice EU foreign student friends at University. I feel like Im stabbing them in the back by voting leave.. Oh well. I need to get a house in the future so I have to do what I gotta do, etc.
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Thats the point, it shouldn't but due to the protectionist nature of the EU and the clear European obsession by many on the remain side it is limiting trade outside

Not really. Germany trades three times as much to China as the UK does, and it's subject to the same EU regulations as we are. And as the Leave campaign itself is so eager to emphasise anyway, the EU is falling as a percentage of total UK exports (although it still constitutes up to 52% of them - by far the biggest and most important export partner of the UK). If this is true (which it is), then - by default - it means we are trading even more with countries outside the EU. So how on earth can the EU be limiting trade outside of its borders?

The protectionist trade bloc of the EU means that it will always favour trade between its member states - quite rightly, I suppose, because it means that the European economy on-the-whole can be stronger and rather than rivalling with itself, it can rival with the big superpowers of the world like China and the USA, and it means fairer rules and regulations in terms of European competition. The protectionist nature of the EU does not, however, limit the UK's exports to other countries. This is a failure of national government, not the European Union.

Just as well Osborne has seemingly begun to throw out the red carpets for the Chinese, eh?
Original post by Naveed-7
I might be voting leave. But I understand that both sides have advantages and maybe disadvantages.I have really nice EU foreign student friends at University. I feel like Im stabbing them in the back by voting leave.. Oh well. I need to get a house in the future so I have to do what I gotta do, etc.

Vote for what you think is right and what you think is best for your own future, as well as the future of your children and grandchildren. Don't let these emotional attachments cloud your judgement - I speak to you as the son of EU migrants.

Do, however, consider whether leaving the EU will help the housing crisis of the UK at all. A separate thread on this forum (which I've recently replied to) might be interesting for you.

Do also consider what you think is a more important priority - being able to buy a house in the UK or being able to travel across the continent, so that you can buy a house anywhere else in 27 other European countries and can live, work and study within those 27 other European countries freely.

Although I question whether leaving the EU will help you buy your house in the UK. Again, see the other thread.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Brexiter here.

I got the IN leaflet yesterday. Wrote "Send to 10 Downing Street and tell the PM he's an idiot."

Never felt so liberated.

This has made my day :')
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett

I don't understand this argument. Are you saying that we don't like the EU because they put in protectionism rules to protect EU industries, or are you saying you would like a trade deal with say the US, were we open ourselves up to allow US companies to come in and compete directly with our companies i.e. free trade? On the one hand we are opposed to TTIP, but on the other hand we want a private deal with the US that opens us up to US commerce?
Love Europe
Loath EU

Vote Leave 23rd June!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hachik0
Love Europe
Loath EU

Vote Leave 23rd June!

I wish I could but I'm only 16 😐
This whole referendum thing seems a bit like a joke tbh.
Asking people to vote based on very limited information - I assume most people (if not almost almost all) don't have a highly intricate and specific knowledge of all the different facets which should be considered when making such a choice.
For much of the population, choice is going to be based on insignificant surface features or those which have been played up by the media.
I can only assume people that like to base their judgements on evidence, from an educated demographic, feel just as lost as I do.
Original post by AfcFob
I wish I could but I'm only 16 😐

Get people who can vote to register, if they havent already, and vote Leave
Original post by Hachik0
Get people who can vote to register, if they havent already, and vote Leave

Everyone I know who can vote are voting leave and rightly so!
I really hope we leave the EU. But TBH I just can't see it happening. When Ireland held a Referendum and the majority voted to Leave they just held another Referendum until they got the Stay vote they wanted. I think the Government and big business are so determined the UK stays they will absolutely do whatever it takes for that to happen. Even if the majority vote to leave.
Original post by markova21
When Ireland held a Referendum and the majority voted to Leave they just held another Referendum until they got the Stay vote they wanted.

Those referenda were to do with the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, not to decide on Irish membership of the EU.
Original post by Hydeman
Those referenda were to do with the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, not to decide on Irish membership of the EU.

Oh thanks. I didn't know that. In either case I was making the comparison though that the Government wasn't happy with the original decision of the Irish people so they had to vote again at a later date. Hardly democratic,is it?
Lord Gaben believes that it is in the best interest of the UK to free itself from the tyranny of the EU, and vote LEAVE. That way the UK will be able to set up better trade deals with the Kingdom of Gabistan, and thus both of our beloved countries will be able to prosper.
Original post by hellodave5
This whole referendum thing seems a bit like a joke tbh.
Asking people to vote based on very limited information - I assume most people (if not almost almost all) don't have a highly intricate and specific knowledge of all the different facets which should be considered when making such a choice.
For much of the population, choice is going to be based on insignificant surface features or those which have been played up by the media.
I can only assume people that like to base their judgements on evidence, from an educated demographic, feel just as lost as I do.

Do you believe instead that we should have no referendum at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lord Gaben
Lord Gaben believes that it is in the best interest of the UK to free itself from the tyranny of the EU, and vote LEAVE. That way the UK will be able to set up better trade deals with the Kingdom of Gabistan, and thus both of our beloved countries will be able to prosper.

We heed your words, Lord Gaben,oh wise one.!
We heed your words, Lord Gaben,oh wise one.!

Thank you my dear friend.

Would you be interested in being Member #5 of the Church of Gaben?

We offer free pizza and beer during our congregational prayers!
Original post by XcitingStuart
Do you believe instead that we should have no referendum at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I can tell judging by people I have spoken to ,in person and complete strangers on Twitter,for example is this. The people who wish to Remain are looking at things from a purely factual way. Whereas the Leave people [and I am most definately one] see things from an emotional perspective. Was speaking to one Remainer today who was saying about the economic arguments for staying. He said if we leave it will be really bad for the economy. I tried arguing with him that even if the economy suffers as a result of leaving ,and even if it were to suffer for the next ten or twenty years as a consequence,we had to look at the bigger picture. I argued with him we have to look at what our country will look like in 100 years time for our great grandchildren if things continue the way they are. We can't just look at the short term gains from remaining. He didn't understand my argument at all.
Original post by Lord Gaben
Thank you my dear friend.

Would you be interested in being Member #5 of the Church of Gaben?

We offer free pizza and beer during our congregational prayers!

Ooh i'll take the pizza any day of the week so yes. I am,however a teetotaller so shall decline your beer invitation.
Ooh i'll take the pizza any day of the week so yes. I am,however a teetotaller so shall decline your beer invitation.

That is fine. You can still join. We also offer non-alcoholic beverages.

Quick Reply

Latest