The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
It didn't cross your mind before, but he's "utter class" as soon as he's linked with Liverpool?

Seems legit.

Isn't that the same with every team though to be fair? The same way that players are terrible as soon as they don't join your club :tongue:

What's the point focusing on the negatives of a potential player?
Original post by Lúcio
Isn't that the same with every team though to be fair? The same way that players are terrible as soon as they don't join your club :tongue:

What's the point focusing on the negatives of a potential player?

Yeh everyone becomes an expert.

My favourite one is when Ashley Fletcher (one of our kids on loan) scored for Barnsley yesterday and United Twitter was full of "i've watched Barnsley extensively this season, and this kid will be world class"
Original post by sr90

My favourite one is when Ashley Fletcher (one of our kids on loan) scored for Barnsley yesterday and United Twitter was full of "i've watched Barnsley extensively this season, and this kid will be world class"

All I do is watch a few YouTube videos even though I know those are handpicked "best bits" and may not represent their consistent output.
It just comes with being a fan I guess!

Well luckily for you, half of my family support Barnsley so I have watched them quite a bit this season :tongue:
Fletcher is a bright young talent and he's scored some important goals but equally he needs to be a bit more consistent with his chances.
He's almost afraid to go on his left foot and it can be a major problem.

In the play-off final, although he scored a good goal he also wasted a ridiculously good opportunity.
He was absolutely MILES ahead of the defenders, through on goal but towards the right corner of the penalty area. For some reason he went on his right foot and narrowed the angle way too much, wasting the chance. Go on your left foot there and it's a tap in.

People should've been watching Barnsley more this season anyway! Only League One but were bottom at Xmas and somehow managed to get promoted. Aside from Leicester that's the most shocking thing to happen this season...
Original post by sr90

I'd never heard of him before yesterday :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
It didn't cross your mind before, but he's "utter class" as soon as he's linked with Liverpool?

Seems legit.

Don't forget that the said player becomes **** as soon as he moves to another club/stays at his current club :colondollar:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-target-gotze-refuses-11402180

Jesus Christ, this is gonna go on all summer isn't it?

I still maintain 0 optimism - if he's gonna move to the PL he might as well go to Spurs tbh.
Original post by Zerforax
Don't forget that the said player becomes **** as soon as he moves to another club/stays at his current club :colondollar:

That or "we were never in for him anyway".
Original post by Lúcio
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-target-gotze-refuses-11402180

Jesus Christ, this is gonna go on all summer isn't it?

I still maintain 0 optimism - if he's gonna move to the PL he might as well go to Spurs tbh.

Hopefully we won't hear much during the tournament now..
Original post by Zerforax
Hopefully we won't hear much during the tournament now..

We can only hope...

We've already sorted GK and CB, so I'm more concerned about us bringing in a LB and CM than rumour talk about Götze.

If we have money left over and we get him? Great.
However we don't majorly need to improve our CAM positions so it's not a problem if we don't.
Original post by Lúcio
We can only hope...

We've already sorted GK and CB, so I'm more concerned about us bringing in a LB and CM than rumour talk about Götze.

However we don't majorly need to improve our CAM positions so it's not a problem if we don't.

Yea Klopp has a few decisions to make on the backline:

GK - sorted with the purchase of Karius
CB - Sakho looks like he won't be banned and we've got Matip coming in already. Klopp needs to decide who will be 4th choice (currently have Toure, Lucas, Gomez and Ilori as candidates but wouldn't be surprised if we buy another)
RB - Clyne nailed on but to decide if Flanagan and/or Gomez are good enough to be back up. Probably are with no Europe..
LB - another LB to compete with Moreno
Original post by Lúcio

Depends on whether we can keep hold of Coutinho or not.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Depends on whether we can keep hold of Coutinho or not.

He's on a pretty long term contract and I don't think he does the magical consistently enough for a big club to actively make a huge bid for him. We won't sell him for any less than we did Sterling and Man City only made that bid because they are desperate for decent HG players.
Sturridge, Clyne, Milner, Lallana and Henderson all called up for England, let's pray for their fitness guys especially Sturridge,
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7933
I'd probably take about £30mil for Coutinho tbh, I don't think he's improved enough over the last couple of seasons to suggest he's going to get much better than he is now.
Original post by cBay
I'd probably take about £30mil for Coutinho tbh, I don't think he's improved enough over the last couple of seasons to suggest he's going to get much better than he is now.

That's an obscenely low amount when you consider how much players are going for nowadays.

Not to mention based on our previous transfers, I severely doubt we would get our money's worth if we reinvested following his sale.

I doubt the club would sell for anything less than £40-45m
Original post by cBay

He has improved his goal output tbf to him, but his performances are still inconsistent. He is our best number 10, neither Lallana or Firmino have set our team alight in that position, the latter plays better upfront and the former doesn't impact the game enough other than his pressing and ball retention and his end product has been disappointing.

The problem is that Klopp has shifted Coutinho to LW and he has been ineffective there as he is not a winger. He needs a mobile striker and a winger to stretch defences and give him space to operate because he gets too crowded out. A CM capable of distributing the ball quicker to him also helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7936
Original post by cBay

That's how much he's probably worth but Sterling went for 50M so Coutinho should be going for somewhere near that price if I were Liverpool.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
That's how much he's probably worth but Sterling went for 50M so Coutinho should be going for somewhere near that price if I were Liverpool.

Agreed and can't see anyone offering that really - can't see the danger of him leaving as he isn't good enough to command a big transfer. And would be silly for him to make a sideways move.
Who'd go for Coutinho though? Juve? Barca? Dortmund? None of them would pay 40+mill for him.
Reply 7939
Original post by That Bearded Man
Who'd go for Coutinho though? Juve? Barca? Dortmund? None of them would pay 40+mill for him.

Barcelona would but they don't need him.

Latest