The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Can you not understand comprehension.... Why would we evolve to a degree where we QUESTION LIFE, EXISTENCE, it SERVES no BENEFIT, it HARMS many people, this goes against the very theory of passing on desired characteristics to SURVIVE...

Your understanding of evolution is very, very poor. We evolved large brains because increased intelligence is obviously a huge advantage for survival, where you can come up with more efficient and complex ways of getting by. A consequence of larger brains is also increased creativity and critical thinking skills. But people can still choose their own actions. Evolving to a high degree doesn't mean that people can't make stupid decisions or that they wouldn't kill each other.

And you're also saying this as if evolution is some kind of thinking being that has to stop us getting to a certain point, which is false. Evolution doesn't think and evolution doesn't have an end point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
If God knows what's written then that means my future has been decided for me meaning I have no free will because I did not have a say in what was written. It is either that or my future is not written at all. God may know the different possible outcomes of decisions I make however, ultimately, I should be the one making the decision. Your theory that all is written contradicts the idea of freewill.

You did have a say in what was written because what youre doing now is upto you it God hasnt forced you to do anything you want to right now, if you want to drink alcohol you can you have free will to do so, dont know how youre confusing all knowing with free will....
I guess I knew from a very young age because anytime anyone brought up "Allah" I just didn't believe he was real. As I matured, that manifested into me becoming an Atheist. But at this point in my life I think I believe in something "out there" but not God or anything related to religion.
Reply 183
Original post by champ_mc99
Depends how limited. If some homeless guy in a desert or something knows Islam tells you to pray 5 times a day but nothing else, then he has a chance. Like you said, they will be judged fairly.

Fair enough. I feel it's a cop out for an unanswerable question anyways. What does Allah consider judging them fairly. What happens to people of past civilisations that considered murder to be part of everyday life. Would they be accountable for what they didn't consider to be wrong. Why would he create people but not let them now why they were created (men and jinn were created to worship him etc etc)
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
You did have a say in what was written because what youre doing now is upto you it God hasnt forced you to do anything you want to right now, if you want to drink alcohol you can you have free will to do so, dont know how youre confusing all knowing with free will....

If I have a say now then it was not written before. In other words, if I have freewill now then nothing was written by God beforehand. Yet, you claim that everything is written and we also have freewill. That's impossible.
(edited 7 years ago)
If God knows what's written then that means my future has been decided for me meaning I have no free will because I did not have a say in what was written. It is either that or my future is not written at all. God may know the different possible outcomes of decisions I make however, ultimately, I should be the one making the decision. Your theory that all is written contradicts the idea of freewill.

If I were to put out a bowl of spinach and a bowl of chocolate in front of my 5 year old cousin and told him to pick one, I would be pretty sure he would choose the chocolate. I use my knowledge about what 5 year old like, my own personal experiences of knowing my cousin and I could tell myslef the chocolate looks more appealing. The option is open for him to choose which one he wants to eat. Using my knowledge (for the sake of argument) I'm about 95% sure he chooses the chocolate. I can write it down too if you want. He still has the choice though.

Same way an all-knowing God would know every action of everything and He will be 100% certain my cousin chooses the chocolate.
Original post by theBranicAc
are you an idiot?

He merely stated his personal experience, no need to call him an idiot. It's actually a very common response, though perhaps without the addition of the "imaginary friend".
Reply 187
If I have a say now then it was not written before. In other words, f I have freewill now then nothing was written by God beforehand. Yet, you claim that everything is written and we also have freewill. That's impossible.

He's outside the space-time continuum so they can say whatever about him and say it's true. Duuuh
Reply 188
If I were to put out a bowl of spinach and a bowl of chocolate in front of my 5 year old cousin and told him to pick one, I would be pretty sure he would choose the chocolate. I use my knowledge about what 5 year old like, my own personal experiences of knowing my cousin and I could tell myslef the chocolate looks more appealing. The option is open for him to choose which one he wants to eat. Using my knowledge (for the sake of argument) I'm about 95% sure he chooses the chocolate. I can write it down too if you want. He still has the choice though.

Same way an all-knowing God would know every action of everything and He will be 100% certain my cousin chooses the chocolate.

So god knows who's going to heaven and hell already. Why didn't he just not create the ones who were going to hell?
If God created us all, and He knows everything that is ever going to happen. Hence, He knew everything that was ever going to happen from the moment (and even before) we were created (supposedly by Him). Therefore, did God create many individuals knowing that they would be punished in hell for eternity?

If He didn't know an individual would be lead astray (and burn in hell), and then He proceeded to create that individual... then He isn't all knowing.

However, if He did know the individual would be lead astray (and be tortured in hell for eternity), but He still proceeded to create this individual... what does this say about God?
(edited 7 years ago)
You know what many replays here who are trying to backup Islam are not good anyone a ex-muslim or a non-muslim please reply to this with your point and i will explain it . I'm sure i will not disappoint you.

I don't want to get into the whole free will debate because it's been done to death and I find it quite tedious, but I'd just like to say that this analogy is flawed because you are not all-knowing. You may be able to make a very good guess at what your cousin will pick, but you cannot be 100% sure because there is always the possibility that your cousin could choose what you weren't expecting. This obviously cannot be extended to a god who knows all things and cannot possibly, ever be wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mjcal1
My parents never forced me to practice or anything, it was actually quite the opposite. I would always tell them they have to pray etc. I started practice after always going to the mosque and befriending the practising Muslims there.

I haven't told them about me not believing. Eventhough they don't pray, wear hijab I know there would be problems with me leaving the faith (weird I know) maybe just because what people would think.

I see. Thank you for answering my questions :smile:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't want to get into the whole free will debate because it's been done to death and I find it quite tedious, but I'd just like to say that this analogy is flawed because you are not all-knowing. You may be able to make a very good guess at what your cousin will pick, but you cannot be 100% sure because there is always the possibility that your cousin could choose what you weren't expecting. This obviously cannot be extended to a God who knows all things and cannot possibly, ever be wrong.

I mentioned this. The option is still open to us, but because God has unlimited knowledge in comparison to my limited knowledge, he cannot be wrong. Doesn't mean he's interfering. He just knows the answer. It's pretty much what my analogy was, neither I nor God interferes in such a way to remove the option from either scenario; however, we can 'predict' the outcome using our knowledge (of course God has unlimited knowledge so the outcome will be in line with his 'prediction'). There would be no free will, however, if I decided to remove the bowl of chocolate in front of my cousin, ultimately leaving him no other choice.
I mentioned this. The option is still open to us, but because God has unlimited knowledge in comparison to my limited knowledge, he cannot be wrong. Doesn't mean he's interfering. He just knows the answer. It's pretty much what my analogy was, neither I nor God interferes in such a way to remove the option from either scenario; however, we can 'predict' the outcome using our knowledge (of course God has unlimited knowledge so the outcome will be in line with his 'prediction':wink:. There would be no free will, however, if I decided to remove the bowl of chocolate in front of my cousin, ultimately leaving him no other choice.

I don't think it's a case of interfering. God doesn't need to be physically moving your body in order for people to still see the flaws in the concept.
Original post by Mjcal1
So god knows who's going to heaven and hell already. Why didn't he just not create the ones who were going to hell?

#LyfIsATest
Reply 196
Original post by Nuwfall
You know what many replays here who are trying to backup Islam are not good anyone a ex-muslim or a non-muslim please reply to this with your point and i will explain it . I'm sure i will not disappoint you.

Big talker, I like it.

Can you prove that Allah exist?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't think it's a case of interfering. God doesn't need to be physically moving your body in order for people to still see the flaws in the concept.

Expand?

EDIT: There was no need for the emoji mate. I put qoutation marks to highlight the wording is a bit dodgy. lmao
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 198
#LyfIsATest

Aaah... Here's a test that you will undoubtedly FAIL. Good luck xoxo
Reply 199
Original post by daal roti hummus
If God created us all, and He knows everything that is ever going to happen. Hence, He knew everything that was ever going to happen from the moment (and even before) we were created (supposedly by Him). Therefore, did God create many individuals knowing that they would be punished in hell for eternity?

If He didn't know an individual would be lead astray (and burn in hell), and then He proceeded to create that individual... then He isn't all knowing.

However, if He did know the individual would be lead astray (and be tortured in hell for eternity), but He still proceeded to create this individual... what does this say about God?

I've Studied at a catholic school. I'm not catholic but this is their perspective.

Catholics argument: Like a father, God gives his children what they need, not everything they wan't. Also God would be abusing people's free will, if God stopped people who are about to create moral evil.