The Student Room Group

Computing GCSE (OCR)

I was just wondering if knowing the specification inside out would enable me to get at least an A, maybe even an A*. Typical questions involve spitting out knowledge onto a page rather than application so if i know everything, would i be alright?

Or is there something else i should be doing, other than past papers obviously?
Reply 1
Its so new they hardly ever do application questions, but id still try other means as well, just in case they decide to change it up.
just try your best :biggrin:
Yeah that should be good enough for you, although I'd suggest doing past papers too to get you in the swing of things. A few things they often ask which may trip you up are:
-Advantages and Disadvantages questions
-Questions asking for the definition/purpose of different things
-Algorithm questions

Practice these and you should be good, good luck :-)
Original post by JamesHare
Yeah that should be good enough for you, although I'd suggest doing past papers too to get you in the swing of things. A few things they often ask which may trip you up are:
-Advantages and Disadvantages questions
-Questions asking for the definition/purpose of different things
-Algorithm questions

Practice these and you should be good, good luck :-)

Advantages and disadvantages should be considered a gift :biggrin:
Though Algorithms do annoy me a lot... :angry:
Original post by Ads.m
I was just wondering if knowing the specification inside out would enable me to get at least an A, maybe even an A*. Typical questions involve spitting out knowledge onto a page rather than application so if i know everything, would i be alright?

For past papers they word the questions differently so you get confused, I'm not looking forward to this exam :/
Reply 6
Original post by Ads.m

OMY GOSH. You like Logic!!!! He is my favourite artist, The incredible true story was amazing.

As for computing they ask a few 6/8 mark questions but the paper isn't so bad as long as you know the stuff. Also if you did well in your controlled assessment you can get an A.
Does anyone have a link to the complete OCR Computing specification/a list of what we need to know? I mean a simplified list to the massive list OCR created- that would be helpful
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Does anyone have a link to the complete OCR Computing specification/a list of what we need to know? I mean a simplified list to the massive list OCR created- that would be helpful

I don't think you can simplify that list. It is already quite short, it just has a lot of content which you will need to know.
If anyone is having problems revising OCR GCSE Computing, type in "Computer Science Tutor YouTube" in google and watch the videos. There are around 25 of them, all around 4hrs and cover everything you need to know for the exam.
Just practice those bloody algorithms and you'll be fine lmao.
As long as they don't throw stupid questions like the 'standards' ones, we'll all be fine... (if we've revised).
For anyone planning on taking GCSE Computing, honestly you need patience for when you code and really listen to your teacher because otherwise the exams will be just fine whereas the coding will be a nightmare.

Page 14-19:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/72936-specification.pdf
Does anyone know how many marks one needs to get an A* overall, in different case scenarios (such as if both your coursework are an A, or an A*, or even a B)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQAirT5Hwc - this is a YouTube video that lasts approximately 1h15mn, and covers the whole specification.
Original post by salemN
OMY GOSH. You like Logic!!!! He is my favourite artist, The incredible true story was amazing.

As for computing they ask a few 6/8 mark questions but the paper isn't so bad as long as you know the stuff. Also if you did well in your controlled assessment you can get an A.

if I get an A in the exam but I've got A* in both my coursework, how likely is it that it'll average out to an A* ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending