The Student Room Group

M1 - where did I go wrong?

Q2.png
For part c I resolved up and down to get 2T + T = W + kW which is T = (W + kW)/3 which obviously meant that the last part came out a bit strange but that equation isn't technically wrong so why is it invalid?

Attachment not found

For the last part, I did 3H + H = 4H x 2 = 8H which is 8(u^2/2g) which is 4T^2g 39.2T^2 again I don't see how my method didn't work as the facts are all technically true, no?

(I understand the mark scheme methods, I just want to understand why mine didn't get me the right answer)
Original post by creativebuzz
Q2.png
For part c I resolved up and down to get 2T + T = W + kW which is T = (W + kW)/3 which obviously meant that the last part came out a bit strange but that equation isn't technically wrong so why is it invalid?

Attachment not found

For the last part, I did 3H + H = 4H x 2 = 8H which is 8(u^2/2g) which is 4T^2g 39.2T^2 again I don't see how my method didn't work as the facts are all technically true, no?

(I understand the mark scheme methods, I just want to understand why mine didn't get me the right answer)

For part c of the first question. The addition of the weight offsets the tensions so one is no longer twice the tension of the other so the equation is incorrect.
Original post by Cryptokyo
For part c of the first question. The addition of the weight offsets the tensions so one is no longer twice the tension of the other so the equation is incorrect.

Ah of course, that makes sense now! Thanks! Do you know why the other one went wrong?

Also, have you done FP2?
For the second question the ball starts at height 3H and thus does not travel that distance vertically so that is wrong also. It effectively travels 5H before hitting the ground. H up and 4H down.
Ah of course, that makes sense now! Thanks! Do you know why the other one went wrong?

Also, have you done FP2?

I have not done FP2 but my modules this year are C1,C2,S1,D1,FP1,M1,M2,M3,M4. So I know some FP2.
I have not done FP2 but my modules this year are C1,C2,S1,D1,FP1,M1,M2,M3,M4. So I know some FP2.

Amazing!

Well, give it a shot:

lol.png
How do you do the last part?

Attachment not found

How do you do the last part in this question? (I've put the answer to the previous question as you'll need that) :smile:
For part c on the first question surely just sub in 2cos(pi/10) and show the result is 0.
Amazing!

Well, give it a shot:

lol.png
How do you do the last part?

Attachment not found

How do you do the last part in this question? (I've put the answer to the previous question as you'll need that) :smile:
Could you send a picture of Fig 1
For part d on that question you deduce the value of a to be root3 and then sub it in to your area in terms of a that you found in part c.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

Why are you doing 9 modules? I thought there was only Maths and Further Maths. is there a third maths A Level?
Yes I am doing an AS in Additional Further Maths this year.
Original post by jess_12
Why are you doing 9 modules? I thought there was only Maths and Further Maths. is there a third maths A Level?
(edited 7 years ago)
@creativebuzz are you there?

9 maths exams. I'm praying for you m8 wtf.
Original post by fefssdf

Well I rather enjoy them... I am such a sad kid XD
Reply 15
Original post by fefssdf

It's not that bad. I did 11 in Jan.

Quick Reply

Latest