The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by brodingoson
2 paragraphs or so, it just says that it's a protein and if 2 species have more of a similar sequence of cytochrome c, the more closely related they are

That's all you really need to know i think

Thanks mate
Original post by SGHD26716
I got 56. But why are you doing the breadth paper now?

Because I've got a mock in a few weeks. We don't do AS but sit internal exams instead.
Reply 942
Original post by neil20143
Because I've got a mock in a few weeks. We don't do AS but sit internal exams instead.

I see. Good luck
Reply 943
I think the whole thing with biology is that you never know how well you have done. Compared to chemistry or maths where there are set answers, biology is so dependent on the mark scheme. I know I got in the range of 50-60, but that 10 mark boundary is all down to how they mark the paper.
I'm expecting the next paper to be more differentiating than this one, just because extended response questions always spread out marks and the exam board will be using that to their grade boundaries
Reply 945
I think Depth will cover;

-Cardiac cycle and the heart
-Spirometer (practical investigation) and ventilation mechanism
- Enzymes and cofactors
- Biological membranes, e.g. the role of the membrane and fluid mosaic model
- Properties of water OR triglycerides and phospholipids
- Calculation questions either involving Simpson's Index, Standard deviation, t-test
- Evolution (evidence+Darwin's observations)
Reply 946
Original post by brodingoson
Did they recommend buying the new spec. book?

Nope got no push to buy anything, they said there were revision guides to buy but didn't enlarge much on it. Our textbook was useful though. We had OCR a level biology by oxford
Original post by Aintsohappy
Does anyone know what topics are specific to each paper? I.e if there are certain module 2 things that will only be in breadth or depth? Thanks!

heyy, the same topics can come up in both papers, but in the depth paper the questions can be maximum 9 mark with QWC. They're likely to be questions that follow on from each other linking to other topics. My teacher said that they are also likely to be quite similar to the old spec style questions so im revising from them :smile:
Hope that helps
Reply 948
Can someone explain the semi-conservative experiment please?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haes
Can someone explain the semi-conservative experiment please?

You could grow some bacteria in a food source that contains only 'heavy' isotope of nitrogen - N-15. After many generations, the DNA should only contain the heavy isotope of nitrogen. Some bacteria can be transferred to another food source containing the normal 'lighter' isotope of nitrogen - N-14. The DNA can be extracted from the bacteria and separated e.g. centrifuged. The more dense, heavier molecules (N-15) will stay at the bottom. it could be centrifuged bu mixing the DNA sample with cocentrated sugar solution then placing the mixture of DNA and sugar solution into test tubes and spinning them at high speeds
There are other ways though of doing it
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, I think I missed a question, cause I answered the one where it was like name T Z X or something but I missed name W? Can anyone remember where exactly this question is, or tell me the few questions after it so I know I haven't missed a page? Thanks
Original post by bunchesofpoppies
Hey, I think I missed a question, cause I answered the one where it was like name T Z X or something but I missed name W? Can anyone remember where exactly this question is, or tell me the few questions after it so I know I haven't missed a page? Thanks

I think it said something like 'name what would be found in W' i don't think it said that exactly but something along those lines! It was only 1 mark so I wouldn't worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
what are the required practicals we need to know
Bullet point answers please.
Thanks! can anyone remember the question straight after the W question? X
Reply 954
Original post by bunchesofpoppies
Thanks! can anyone remember the question straight after the W question? X

It asked about a plant in a saltwater area and you had to suggest how it gets water into the xylem by osmosis, if the water potential of the water surrounding it is very low.
Does anyone have the depth in biology practice paper?
Does anyone know whether the answer on the classification table was animalia or eukarya? Panicking thinking I've read the table wrong :s-smilie:
Reply 957
Original post by Ilovepugs
Does anyone know whether the answer on the classification table was animalia or eukarya? Panicking thinking I've read the table wrong :s-smilie:

forget it now.. just focus on depth nothing you can do, don't rag your brains out over one mark when you have the potential to get 70 on 07/06/16.
Original post by Neelthesuperdude
what are the required practicals we need to know
Bullet point answers please.

Spirometer, Potometer (already asked on multiple choice), Enzyme experiment
Original post by SURH
forget it now.. just focus on depth nothing you can do, don't rag your brains out over one mark when you have the potential to get 70 on 07/06/16.

Thankyou! I think I did get the answer right but I'm just over thinking everything :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending