The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-LJLB
I've given up with exogenous zeitgebers - the evaluation is too all over the place and there's not enough studies I can find that actually hugging EZ rather than EP, loopa is no help either.

I'm just going to move on because it's frustrating me too much!

(EZ) - Luce and Segal - findings: During the summer months in the Arctic Circle, the earth's axis is tilted towards the sun, meaning there is a constant 24hrs of sun. Despite this, they still go to bed at a normal time
Original post by Mesosleepy
(EZ) - Luce and Segal - findings: During the summer months in the Arctic Circle, the earth's axis is tilted towards the sun, meaning there is a constant 24hrs of sun. Despite this, they still go to bed at a normal time

Yeah I saw that, but isn't that highlighting biological clock?

I suppose I was just looking for more evaluation for EZ alone, but there doesn't seem to be any
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey could somebody explain how you actually phrase a reductionism IDA? I'm pretty sure that my teachers just literally have no clue as they say different **** every time.
If you can give me a brief description using any essay type that would be much appreciated.
Original post by pentagonath
Hey could somebody explain how you actually phrase a reductionism IDA? I'm pretty sure that my teachers just literally have no clue as they say different **** every time.
If you can give me a brief description using any essay type that would be much appreciated.

It's only reductionist if it's a biological theory remember.
Original post by A-LJLB
Yeah I saw that, but isn't that highlighting biological clock?

I suppose I was just looking for more evaluation for EZ alone, but there doesn't seem to be any

It depends on your A01, did you put the SCN as the main EP and light as the main EZ in your a01?
Original post by A-LJLB
It's only reductionist if it's a biological theory remember.

So like, for instance, could I say Hormonal explanation of aggression is reductionism, but not like social explanations of aggression like Deindividuation ?
It depends on your A01, did you put the SCN as the main EP and light as the main EZ in your a01?

Yeah, I did :smile:

Original post by pentagonath
So like, for instance, could I say Hormonal explanation of aggression is reductionism, but not like social explanations of aggression like Deindividuation ?

Yep! Otherwise it's limited view
How many IDA points are sensible to have in a 24 marker?
Has anyone got a plan/ essay for role of genes and hormones in gender development? I've got notes/ material for all but that one, and knowing my luck if I miss it out it'll be the 8 + 16!
Original post by A-LJLB

You can use Luce and Segal study to illustrate the reductionist view in paying too much attention of the influence of light as a Zeitgeber. So for example..

Reductionism refers to the simplification of human behaviour to its most basic components. A lot of attention is paid to the influence of Light as a Zeitgeber. This could be considered Reductionist as it suggests we simply respond biologically to the presence or absence of light. What this ignores is the influence of other social Zeitgebers such as social norms of expected sleep times and how this differs between cultures. For example, cultures nearer the equator tend to have 2hr siestas during the day (Spain). This is illustrated by Luce and Segal (findings), which demonstrate that social factors also play a huge part in regulating our sleep.
Original post by A-LJLB

Yep! Otherwise it's limited view

You can use Luce and Segal study to illustrate the reductionist view in paying too much attention of the influence of light as a Zeitgeber. So for example..Reductionism refers to the simplification of human behaviour to its most basic components. A lot of attention is paid to the influence of Light as a Zeitgeber. This could be considered Reductionist as it suggests we simply respond biologically to the presence or absence of light. What this ignores is the influence of other social Zeitgebers such as social norms of expected sleep times and how this differs between cultures. For example, cultures nearer the equator tend to have 2hr siestas during the day (Spain). This is illustrated by Luce and Segal (findings), which demonstrate that social factors also play a huge part in regulating our sleep.
Original post by l0nelynight
does anyone do psychology and history and if so, how are you managing revision because i'm currently dying??

I am! Tbh I'm focusing more on History because I'm 50% more screwed for that compared to Psychology but I'm basically dying too :frown:
Original post by 09Laura
Has anyone got a plan/ essay for role of genes and hormones in gender development? I've got notes/ material for all but that one, and knowing my luck if I miss it out it'll be the 8 + 16!

i'm not sure of the specific marks but i know this is an A grade essay that i wrote in class!
I'm not going to stick strictly to Loopa's predictions but I'm just not revising what came up last year. Let's hope this doesn't blow up in my face :s-smilie:
Original post by Oiseaux
I am! Tbh I'm focusing more on History because I'm 50% more screwed for that compared to Psychology but I'm basically dying too :frown:

i literally am finding it impossible to revise either and both, plus i have another exam on friday as well !! i definitely think i'm gonna move my focus onto history from tomorrow because i don't have enough essay plans written and remembered :frown:
You can use Luce and Segal study to illustrate the reductionist view in paying too much attention of the influence of light as a Zeitgeber. So for example..Reductionism refers to the simplification of human behaviour to its most basic components. A lot of attention is paid to the influence of Light as a Zeitgeber. This could be considered Reductionist as it suggests we simply respond biologically to the presence or absence of light. What this ignores is the influence of other social Zeitgebers such as social norms of expected sleep times and how this differs between cultures. For example, cultures nearer the equator tend to have 2hr siestas during the day (Spain). This is illustrated by Luce and Segal (findings), which demonstrate that social factors also play a huge part in regulating our sleep.

That would be great for an IDA point, thank you so much for your help. Are there any other studies I can use as pure AO2?
i literally am finding it impossible to revise either and both, plus i have another exam on friday as well !! i definitely think i'm gonna move my focus onto history from tomorrow because i don't have enough essay plans written and remembered :frown:

I say this every year but I wish I started hardcore revision earlier :frown:. I have Biology next week too which I haven't even started focusing on yet! What exam board are you with for History?
Original post by A-LJLB
That would be great for an IDA point, thank you so much for your help. Are there any other studies I can use as pure AO2?

Miles et al - blind man had a circadian rhythm of 24.9 hrs. He had to use stimulants and sedatives to adjust his sleep waking cycle to the standard 24 hours, showing that light is the main EZ in regulating our sleep/wake cycle as the absence of light led his rhythm to be 24.9hrs rather than 24hrs.

Siffre - 179 days in a cave with no natural light . Sleep/wake cycle extended to between 25-30 hrs, body temperature out of synch, showing that our body can still regulate biorhythms without EZ but these become out of synch with the 24 hr. Therefore, light is the main EZ in regulating our sleeping pattern
Original post by Oiseaux
I say this every year but I wish I started hardcore revision earlier :frown:. I have Biology next week too which I haven't even started focusing on yet! What exam board are you with for History?

yeah me too, i'm literally doing 10/11 hour days to compensate for my laziness earlier ): and AQA, you??
yeah me too, i'm literally doing 10/11 hour days to compensate for my laziness earlier ): and AQA, you??

I'm doing OCR and same! We can do this :redface:.

Latest

Trending

Trending