The Student Room Group

OCR Philosophy GCSE

Guys does anyone know what structure to use for the 12 mark questions?
Especially when talking about the arguments.
There will be different recommendations. I usually go:

Thesis statement (I believe .........)
Argument for the statement
(any criticisms of said argument- you don't have to do this every time)
Argument against the statement
(criticisms)
For
(criticisms)
Against
(criticisms)
Summing up (Overall, I still believe ....... because ............. and although there are arguments against ....... I believe these are mostly weak because ........)
CAVEAT: sometimes it's not all black and white and there are a number of different opinions rather than just 2. In these cases, try to present as many points of view as you can but - and this is crucial - maintain the order of whether they agree or disagree with the statement and back each viewpoint up with religious teachings. Higher grade students will tag their opinion onto the criticisms bit and thereby weave it throughout the "essay".
Reply 2
Original post by Undec

so what I do and gets me a high mark in is
depending on what religion you're answering about, so for example on christianity, you answer how some types of Christians would agree with the statement. Then talk about how other Christians would disagree, then talk about your point of view. Carry that out throughout the essay but make sure in your conclusion you finish with if you agree or disagree with the statement. Basically have a personal viewpoint throughout.
Original post by Undec

YES- FOLLOW THIS!!!
1. Say why the statement is controversial. (A* Why is it an important point to discuss?)
2. Say what some Christians think about statement.
3. Explain WHICH group of Christians are mist likely to agree. (A* Why they might agree. E.g. the Bible teaches Christians to...)
4. Say what other Christians think and then do the same as step 3.
5. Say what others think- Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims...
6. Give your opinion. Say why you agree/disagree.
7. Offer EVIDENCE to support your opinion- e.g. in the news recently... (A*)

I assume you are doing Christianity! If you are not just follow the same format.:smile:
Best of luck!x

Spoiler

If the question is horrid, stick to an easy, simple structure like:
Some people think (Christians)
Other people think (Atheists etc)
Your opinion

For a question you feel you can answer really well, I would suggest this:
Some think, counter argue, your opinion (can be brief)
Others think, counter argue, your opinion
Possibly another point of view, with counter arguments and opinion
Your opinion (more detailed)
Original post by sunshine774
YES- FOLLOW THIS!!!
1. Say why the statement is controversial. (A* Why is it an important point to discuss?)
2. Say what some Christians think about statement.
3. Explain WHICH group of Christians are mist likely to agree. (A* Why they might agree. E.g. the Bible teaches Christians to...)
4. Say what other Christians think and then do the same as step 3.
5. Say what others think- Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims...
6. Give your opinion. Say why you agree/disagree.
7. Offer EVIDENCE to support your opinion- e.g. in the news recently... (A*)

I assume you are doing Christianity! If you are not just follow the same format.:smile:
Best of luck!x

Spoiler

Yes! This is the best plan!
Original post by andreigheorghe
Yes! This is the best plan!

Glad you find it useful!:smile:
Glad you find it useful!:smile:

Do you have any idea about part D? I've always been able to (somehow - perhaps through divine intervention) get a solid 10 every time on the E but always dropped half the marks on part D.
Do you have any idea about part D? I've always been able to (somehow - perhaps through divine intervention) get a solid 10 every time on the E but always dropped half the marks on part D.

Part d is very similar to part e. Just don't include personal opinion and why the statement is controversial like I have explained above. Basically include all the Christian views in the same way, but without detail and without lengthy quotes (save that for part e.)
Part d is always "explain" so you should not go into too much detail about Christian views, but abut their RESPONSES.

For example, " Explain how Christians might be affected by the way Christians are shown in the media". The key thing would be to talk about responses and attitudes.

Hope that is not too confusing! Best of luck!:biggrin:
Part d is very similar to part e. Just don't include personal opinion and why the statement is controversial like I have explained above. Basically include all the Christian views in the same way, but without detail and without lengthy quotes (save that for part e.)
Part d is always "explain" so you should not go into too much detail about Christian views, but abut their RESPONSES.

For example, " Explain how Christians might be affected by the way Christians are shown in the media". The key thing would be to talk about responses and attitudes.

Hope that is not too confusing! Best of luck!:biggrin:

It makes perfect sense. Thank God you're so kind! Our school cut back our RPE lessons to 1 a fortnight (no joke) and decided to make us do the full course. I've not had an RPE lesson for over a month! I love the subject but the workload is driving me crazy at the moment.
It makes perfect sense. Thank God you're so kind! Our school cut back our RPE lessons to 1 a fortnight (no joke) and decided to make us do the full course. I've not had an RPE lesson for over a month! I love the subject but the workload is driving me crazy at the moment.

Ha ha thanks! It's my Philosophy teacher really- he gives the best advice! I am glad you enjoy the subject- most of the people in my year do not give a **** about RS even though we are lucky enough to have 1 lesson per week with a great teacher.

Spoiler

I say some Christians would agree.... (around 3-4 points)
then some Christians would disagree (3-4 points). And I include criticising arguments linked in, if they are relevant.

Then I put my own opinion, with a reason, but also a criticism against my own opinion. For example, i disagree with abortion ...... but in certain circumstances I would accept it because .....
Ha ha thanks! It's my Philosophy teacher really- he gives the best advice! I am glad you enjoy the subject- most of the people in my year do not give a **** about RS even though we are lucky enough to have 1 lesson per week with a great teacher.

Spoiler

What they did do (quite cleverly) is only teach us 2 of the units per paper. Since you get 3 units but only have to answer 2, they only taught us 2 thereby slashing the workload by a third. Anyway, I'm sure you have work to do so I'll stop pestering you 😊😊 Good luck
What they did do (quite cleverly) is only teach us 2 of the units per paper. Since you get 3 units but only have to answer 2, they only taught us 2 thereby slashing the workload by a third. Anyway, I'm sure you have work to do so I'll stop pestering you 😊😊 Good luck

Best of luck too!x

Spoiler

Reply 14
Thanks a lot guys.
Has anyone got any idea what you'd answer for this e question?
"Only people in need of God believe in God" (christianity)

This is Philosophy 1 topic 1 and am struggling to think of what to say
Original post by Undec

Many people have their own plans for the "e" - 12 mark questions. However, as an A* predicted student, I study Islam and Christianity for Philosophy and Ethics. I have applied this effective plan in all my e questions and tend to get the highest band with marks between 10-12 which is always impressive. After highlighting the suggestions from all the examiners in the examiners report, this is my highly advised method for those who want to achieve the full 12 marks.

Religious studies is quite similar to English but the opinions push you to the highest grade!

INTRODUCTION - Start off defining key terms, e.g. soul- divine spark, source from God, is holy, immortal. Then state one point FOR, and one point AGAINST. Then end off your intro with a rhetorical question, (this show's an engagement in a detailed conversation). e.g.

PARAGRAPH FOR- Apply the P.E.E.P structure. POINT- make points based on the argument FOR the statement in the question, keep making links. EVIDENCE- provide biblical or other holy scripture references for the relevant point and the relevant religion. EXPLAIN- Develop points but still link to topic. PERSONAL OPINION- End the paragraph with a short opinion, what you believe is right and whether you agree with the points of this argument.

PARAGRAPH AGAINST- Apply the P.E.E.P structure.POINT- make points based on the argument AGAINST the statement in the question, keep making links. EVIDENCE- provide biblical or other holy scripture references for the relevant point and the relevant religion. EXPLAIN- Develop points but still link to topic. PERSONAL OPINION- End the paragraph with a short opinion, what you believe is right and whether you agree with the points of this argument.

CONCLUSION- Finally, summarise all the points for and against. Summarise your opinion.

I promise you that if you are a student with an ambition to achieve an A* like me, and have enough time in the exam, this is absolutely the solid plan which will 100% help you achieve your desired grade. I wish everyone the best of luck!

WARNING: Before the exam, revise plenty of points for all the topics in Philosophy, such as End of life, Religion, reason, revelation etc, for both religions. Memorise short passages of Holy Scripture References and during the exam choose the "e" question which you have a strong feeling about. Don't just rush into one of the questions on the day! Spend a good 15 minutes on the "e" question if you want to apply this method. Finally don't forget to revise key words and definitions.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

I thought every school did that? Mine does as well:smile:
Original post by grace143
I thought every school did that? Mine does as well:smile:

I also only learn 2 units but I am not sure if every school does this. My teacher said if we had 2 lessons per week (we only have 1) we would have done all 3 units.
I also only learn 2 units but I am not sure if every school does this. My teacher said if we had 2 lessons per week (we only have 1) we would have done all 3 units.

Oh ok I didn't realise- must be annoying for the people who had to learn an extra unit for basically no reason!!
Original post by grace143
Oh ok I didn't realise- must be annoying for the people who had to learn an extra unit for basically no reason!!

Yep we should count ourselves lucky! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending