The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mac117
Yes, you do. But hopefully it's worth it! I'm doing medical biology and experimental psychology :biggrin:

Wow. You're a lucky man. Did your parents pay for that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiamhM1801
Yeah I know it's still pretty good even if it's not one of the best. Tbh I'm not fussed about Cambridge/Oxford so I'm happy to go for somewhere like Durham instead :smile:

And I live in Leeds, so not a massive way away but still far enough away from everyone I know - my grandma says I need to leave everything so that I'm actually forced to meet new people as she knows I won't otherwise :redface: probably true tbh

Lol. I know what you mean but I'd rather get my luck everywhere and not live in regret.

With me it's the opposite. My parents just want me to stop living like a hippie and not rely on them so much.😂😂😂
They know I'll meet new people as I'm quite good at mingling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
It was a joke and reference to Doc Hollywood. That's an old movie which stars Michael J Fox and was the movie in which I met my first love ... A 1956 Speedster.

That is very honourable. I respect your aspirations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I (obviously maybe) haven't seen the movie :P Many people don't know the difference so I was assuming you didn't either. Sorry!

Thanks! What would you like to study?
Wow. You're a lucky man. Did your parents pay for that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they did. I'm very lucky to have this opportunity. One of my friends is going with me as well - it takes some of the stress away! Being in another country and all.

I wanted to apply for scholarship there but I felt like others would need it more. Next year I'll look at other summer schools or go back to Oxford for Med. Prep. - it's soooo interesting!
31/05/2016 - Evening update

Focus just wasn't there today...knew it would be hard to get back after a weekend of chilling. Oh well.

Today I have done:
-50 German vocab mastered on Memrise
-B6 Notes fully made

Dentist followed by gym tomorrow so probably won't be getting much done again, hey ho. I'll manage to squeeze a bit in :wink:
Lol. I know what you mean but I'd rather get my luck everywhere and not live in regret.

With me it's the opposite. My parents just want me to stop living like a hippie and not rely on them so much.😂😂😂
They know I'll meet new people as I'm quite good at mingling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah true, at the end of the day nothing's final yet so I can't assume.

Haha, my mum's worried about me leaving as she doesn't think I'll look after myself properly, frankly I can't wait to leave as I know it'll be the time where I'll fully pull myself together while truly living at the same time :tongue:
I'm awful at mingling, I'd happily talk to the same 5 people for the rest of my life :redface:
Original post by nwmyname
Hi how did the first exams go?

I think it went really well, it was only ICT so the questions were mostly common sense as computers are all around us nowadays. Are you doing any exams? And thank you for asking :smile:

Original post by nisha.sri
How much revision are you guys doing during the half term in terms of hours ?:smile:

I've planned around 9 ish hours tomorrow but whether or not I will do them all is another matter
Original post by brainzistheword
I think it went really well, it was only ICT so the questions were mostly common sense as computers are all around us nowadays. Are you doing any exams? And thank you for asking :smile:

I've planned around 9 ish hours tomorrow but whether or not I will do them all is another matter

Hope you get 9 hours done tomorrow :smile:
I always say i'm going to do 10 hours max but i end up doing 6-8 max depends if i'm tired or not :wink:
31/05/2016 - Evening update

Focus just wasn't there today...knew it would be hard to get back after a weekend of chilling. Oh well.

Today I have done:
-50 German vocab mastered on Memrise
-B6 Notes fully made

Dentist followed by gym tomorrow so probably won't be getting much done again, hey ho. I'll manage to squeeze a bit in :wink:

Well done - hope everything is good at the dentist tomorrow :biggrin:

when you say 9 hours do you actually sit in front of your books/notes and study for 9 hours? Or are you getting distracted etc and study much less?

I personally do about 3-4 hours of revision a day without computer and phone and I cover usually all I need to cover for the exam! 9 hours would kill me :redface:
Original post by nisha.sri
Hope you get 9 hours done tomorrow :smile:
I always say i'm going to do 10 hours max but i end up doing 6-8 max depends if i'm tired or not :wink:

Me too :smile:
Yeah saying and doing are two completely different things in my world :biggrin: we will have to see :smile:
Original post by Mac117
when you say 9 hours do you actually sit in front of your books/notes and study for 9 hours? Or are you getting distracted etc and study much less?

I personally do about 3-4 hours of revision a day without computer and phone and I cover usually all I need to cover for the exam! 9 hours would kill me :redface:

9 Hours as in 25 mins with 5 mins break for 18 sessions spread out across the day (Pomodoro)

Sometimes I can get everything done quicker or have to reschedule but generally it works because I have something to focus on for the entire time :smile:
9 Hours as in 25 mins with 5 mins break for 18 sessions spread out across the day (Pomodoro)

Sometimes I can get everything done quicker or have to reschedule but generally it works because I have something to focus on for the entire time :smile:

Damn, that's a lot! I usually sit down, read my notes once or twice, and that's about it. Usually I finish my revision with a past paper or two and if I get more than 85-90% then I either move to another subject I have that week or chill. You guys are more committed than me! :tongue:
Well done - hope everything is good at the dentist tomorrow :biggrin:

Haha thank you :biggrin:

And 9 hours is insane! I struggle to hit 5 most days (when I'm not at school obviously) :s-smilie: I'm sure you'll manage to do it with your determination :wink:
Original post by Mac117
Damn, that's a lot! I usually sit down, read my notes once or twice, and that's about it. Usually I finish my revision with a past paper or two and if I get more than 85-90% then I either move to another subject I have that week or chill. You guys are more committed than me! :tongue:

Haha if it works for you then there is nothing wrong with it. I can't just read notes so I have to either write them out or use flashcards. Most of the time now I am just doing past papers which makes up most of my time. Even if I get 100% I still do more papers to make sure I have seen every kind of question and get a feel for what is repeated.

Haha thank you :biggrin:

And 9 hours is insane! I struggle to hit 5 most days (when I'm not at school obviously) :s-smilie: I'm sure you'll manage to do it with your determination :wink:

I suppose it does sound excessive. I have to make it clear that I don't like cancel everything and lock myself in my room. If I have something planned or something comes up then I reschedule everything and just do as much as I can :biggrin: (I don't want to start sounding like a recluse who never goes out or anything :smile:)
Original post by Mac117
Haha I (obviously maybe) haven't seen the movie :P Many people don't know the difference so I was assuming you didn't either. Sorry!

Thanks! What would you like to study?

No worries. A 1956 Speedster is a car made in 1956 in case you didn't know. Lol. I would like to study PPE at Oxford ( God willing ) but we'll see where life takes me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, first of all I just want to say that you are doing amazingly well and I hope everything works out the way you would like! Secondly, I was wondering how you revise for English Language? I find it extremely hard to do the reading paper for English Language while I like the Writing paper so it is the reading part that always lets me down. I don't know how to improve on this. Also, how do you revise without getting distracted? I am into too many things like music groups and movies and books and I waste so much of my time on Instagram and YouTube...I've looked for tips on how to stop procrastinating but none of them work for me. I turn off my phone to revise and I turn it back on again instantly, it is as though I am against myself. It is not just my phone and the Internet, I also procrastinate by just sitting and doing nothing.
Also, do you have any study tips? I have tried many things that have not worked for me at all:
Flashcards
Videos
Audio
Taking notes
I took a quiz that told me I'm an auditory learner yet audio revision doesn't work for me. It really frustrates me and makes me feel like I am going to fail because revision doesn't help much. Do you have any other tips for revising that you could share with me? Thank you
UPDATE FOR 31/05/16

The end of school is getting ever closer and so revision has stepped up again ready for exams next week (even though it doesn't look like much):

2 Chemistry past papers

1 Biology past paper

231 German vocab cards

15 Geography cards

Yeah I'm cool!
I follow your thread in fact because what you want to achieve is what I did achieve last year and I wanted to see how you are getting along!
Hoping you do well!

Haha yeah I had exams as well.
I'm aiming for 4As and based on preportions of people entering, that should be possible but I don't know so far yet.

Well which subject did you find hardest?
No worries. A 1956 Speedster is a car made in 1956 in case you didn't know. Lol. I would like to study PPE at Oxford ( God willing ) but we'll see where life takes me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Double fail for me then :wink:

PPE sounds interesting! I think I saw a youtuber who studied it at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending