The Student Room Group

A question for religious people...

Why do you follow a religion? At least three reasons would be optimal if possible.

Many thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
- the religion I follow is Islam and here are some reasons why I follow it:
It gives me Internal peace. Literally I can't describe how much peace it gives me...
It gives me hope that there's better after this disappointing life. So much better for people who deserve it.
It teaches me how to be a great human being in every way possible( I mean I can't kill an ant cause it's innocent) 😌
It's the reason why I'm mentally sane

Thanks for asking btw 💞

Posted from TSR Mobile
- cos i want to
- cos i want to
- cos i want to.
I also follow Islam, my reasons being exact same as @Bliss_
It really does offer a different kind of peace.. The words are so sweet and kind. It gives me hope for this world and also for the afterlife... It also teaches to be respectful in genera, which is always a good thing!😍
I follow TSRianism because TSR is the joy and love of my life. It gives me sense, it gives purpose, it gives me meaning to my otherwise bare and obsolete life.

TSR transforms my inner soul from the misery of being lost in a barren desert to being in a bubbly urban centre teeming with life and people.

From the trolls to the racists to the hippies, TSR is the place where one can feel the connection between the souls and feel the sensation as it cleanses the heart from unworldly (or rather, worldly) evil from the real life.

TSR is hope, it is unique, it is beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I follow a religion because it supports and comforts me regarding beliefs about death, and life after death, and helps me to cope with friends and relatives that I have lost.
I also follow it because it re-enforces my empty belief that there is an almighty force.
It reminds me that there is a force that is extremely compassionate and forgiving that will forgive me when I do wrong.
Religion gives me guidance in every aspect of life.
It gives me a sense of direction in my daily life. :smile:
Original post by ironandbeer2
Why do you follow a religion? At least three reasons would be optimal if possible.

Many thanks.

I can see evidence of God to be real in the amazing design of the world and naturee
I want to remember God so he doesn't forget me
It teaches basic human morals as well, and I agree with the teachings and the way it says to live your life
Because they have been indoctrinated to believe in that religion from birth.
Reply 8
I'm muslim because something/someone must have created this universe, now scientists says the universe was created from nothing.. This is just their excuse of denying that there is a truth and that they can't possibly prove or describe how the universe started. And even so, lets say it was created from nothing, they say we all living things were created randomly in the big bang explosion, now a 6 year old can tell you right now that all this life, humans, insects, animals are designed and created to absolute perfection, we still don't fully know how our brain works just because of how complex it is and you can literally buy a 200 pages book on only about butterflies on how they eat, die, etc. You telling me this all was created by "Random" events from an explosion?? Again a 6 year old will tell you the answer to that question. This earth, sun, moon, how we live, eat, digest, sleep, cannot just happened for random reasons.
Do you really think this Earth and the Sun was placed perfectly apart, and all COMPLEX life to every single molecule was created by just an explosion, for us to perfectly live in?

To those who don't believe in God. I will ask you now, how do you think the Universe was created? That is really the question it comes down to at the end.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reda2
I'm muslim because something/someone must have created this universe, now scientists says the universe was created from nothing.. This is just their excuse of denying that there is a truth and that they can't possibly prove or describe how the universe started. And even so, lets say it was created from nothing, they say we all living things were created randomly in the big bang explosion, now a 6 year old can tell you right now that all this life, humans, insects, animals are designed and created to absolute perfection, we still don't fully know how our brain works just because of how complex it is and you can literally buy a 200 pages book on only about butterflies on how they eat, die, etc. You telling me this all was created by "Random" events from an explosion?? Again a 6 year old will tell you the answer to that question. This earth, sun, moon, how we live, eat, digest, sleep, cannot just happened for random reasons.
Do you really think this Earth and the Sun was placed perfectly apart, and all COMPLEX life to every single molecule was created by just an explosion, for us to perfectly live in?

To those who don't believe in God. I will ask you now, how do you think the Universe was created? That is really the question it comes down to at the end.

But what created this God? Most people would say God has always been there, he is incomprehensible etc, but if God can always exist or come into existence, why can't the universe just exist without God (the middle man).

The universe has existed for around 14 billion years; the solar system was created around 4-5 billions years ago, and humans have been around for around 6 million years (I think). It's not so improbable if you think about the chaos of the big bang going on for billions of years. At some point, out of all the planets and stars out there over billions of years, it is almost certain that at least one would randomly fulfill the conditions for life as we know it.

Most religious people believe in God because they were taught to, they try to justify a belief in God using various arguments, which I don't get. You don't believe something and then justify it, you believe something because you can justify it. It's weird to think that most people believe in a religion when they barely know anything about it: you're encouraged to learn more about your religion. You should be in your religion because you already know everything about it.

I mean no disrespect, I used to be a Muslim and I respect your right to believe in what you want. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by burritosnake
But what created this God? Most people would say God has always been there, he is incomprehensible etc, but if God can always exist or come into existence, why can't the universe just exist without God (the middle man).

The universe has existed for around 14 billion years; the solar system was created around 4-5 billions years ago, and humans have been around for around 6 million years (I think). It's not so improbable if you think about the chaos of the big bang going on for billions of years. At some point, out of all the planets and stars out there over billions of years, it is almost certain that at least one would randomly fulfill the conditions for life as we know it.

Most religious people believe in God because they were taught to, they try to justify a belief in God using various arguments, which I don't get. You don't believe something and then justify it, you believe something because you can justify it. It's weird to think that most people believe in a religion when they barely know anything about it: you're encouraged to learn more about your religion. You should be in your religion because you already know everything about it.

I mean no disrespect, I used to be a Muslim and I respect your right to believe in what you want. :smile:

Nice reply mate :wink:
Original post by chemting
I follow TSRianism because TSR is the joy and love of my life. It gives me sense, it gives purpose, it gives me meaning to my otherwise bare and obsolete life.

TSR transforms my inner soul from the misery of being lost in a barren desert to being in a bubbly urban centre teeming with life and people.

From the trolls to the racists to the hippies, TSR is the place where one can feel the connection between the souls and feel the sensation as it cleanses the heart from unworldly (or rather, worldly) evil from the real life.

TSR is hope, it is unique, it is beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin:
I believe in Islam because I truly believe it. Although I was born into the religion, I've done plenty of research and I'm always going to continue to do that because Islam has so many things that I might still not know about. Many say that Islam is this and that but they only say that as non-believers tbh, what else are they supposed to say? Also, people give their arguments about Science and what not, unless science can explain everything then you can start a debate. Islam does mention everything that we need to know in this world so I'll keep following my religion thanks.

1. Islam gives me another outlook on life. I've been a Muslim that's gone through a lot and culture clashes a lot with my religion however differentiating what difference between culture and religion is important. For example, my family love swearing is just in nearly every sentence however in Islam it's a sin. That was something that arouse from back home and the enviroment around us, not Islam.

2. I am more mindful of what I do in this world. That's pretty important because I can be pretty "savage" as one might say but always remembering my actions will be brought up on the day of judgment is how I can TRY to be a good person.

3. I can keep the "bad" side of myself at bay. For example, I have a big ego and Islam has taught me that it will get you no where in life therefore I try to be modest and calm because it helps me do things that I wouldn't have naturally done. For example, make the friends I have now, I've been through slippery slopes with friendships over years mainly because I was too strong and intimidating as a person however now I feel like I am still like that as a person but without the huge ego.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm well aware of the cosmological arguments having done AS RE. :h:

The person I was replying to didn't use the cosmological argument, they just said that God must have created the universe.

All of these cosmological arguments never prove that this first cause must be the God of theism, nor must it be anything resembling a God. Why must some things necessarily exist? Existence in itself is arbitrary. Why can't the universe be the first cause of itself, as I said, cutting out the 'middle man'. All of these arguments rely on logic, but empirically we simply don't know how the universe started, nor how it works.
Original post by burritosnake
I'm well aware of the cosmological arguments having done AS RE. :h:

The person I was replying to didn't use the cosmological argument, they just said that God must have created the universe.

All of these cosmological arguments never prove that this first cause must be the God of theism, nor must it be anything resembling a God. Why must some things necessarily exist? Existence in itself is arbitrary. Why can't the universe be the first cause of itself, as I said, cutting out the 'middle man'. All of these arguments rely on logic, but empirically we simply don't know how the universe started, nor how it works.

I'm don't know, I think alluding to God as the cause of the universe is basically as a cosmological argument.

A few points;

The arguments from classical theism (Aquinas' five ways being the most common example) attempt to show that which is pure actuality (or colloquially the unmoved mover) has divine traits like omnipotence etc. You may disagree with these points but that means dealing with the arguments given for 'and this we call God'.

The universe cannot in any way 'cause' itself as self causation is unintelligible. That's why no one defends the idea that the universe itself is the first cause. Rather, the typical atheist response is that the universe is neccessary. Or that the universe has it within the necessity of its own nature to exist.

You talk about logic and empiricism. Generally, the idea of scientism plays a role in the assumptions of many objectors to cosmological arguments. If that's what you mean by highlighting that we need empiricism in order for a cosmological argument goes through, it's not hard to show scientism to be wrong.

Also, science may play a role in the Kalam cosmological argument in whether the universe had a beginning or is eternal, but is almost irrelevant to all other types. The First Way of Aquinas starts from the general notion of change, for example, and is simply something that science must presuppose if it is to work. Similarly, the Principle of Sufficient reason is something science needs in order to work, a rejection of the PSR undermines scientific ideas.

Ofcourse, you may wish to argue that the Cosmological argument from contingency fails or the Aristotelian-Thomistic metaphysics which are the foundation for the Five Ways of Aquinas are wrong, but this is an argument from philosophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it gives me hope.
It makes me want to achieve and makes me aspire.
Helps me be independent.
I believe in a religion because it helps me understand the meaning of life, understand what happens when you die and it helps me develop morals.
Original post by NickLCFC
Because they have been indoctrinated to believe in that religion from birth.

It really is this 99% of the time.
Original post by ModernGoodGuy
I'm don't know, I think alluding to God as the cause of the universe is basically as a cosmological argument.

A few points;

The arguments from classical theism (Aquinas' five ways being the most common example) attempt to show that which is pure actuality (or colloquially the unmoved mover) has divine traits like omnipotence etc. You may disagree with these points but that means dealing with the arguments given for 'and this we call God'.

The universe cannot in any way 'cause' itself as self causation is unintelligible. That's why no one defends the idea that the universe itself is the first cause. Rather, the typical atheist response is that the universe is neccessary. Or that the universe has it within the necessity of its own nature to exist.

You talk about logic and empiricism. Generally, the idea of scientism plays a role in the assumptions of many objectors to cosmological arguments. If that's what you mean by highlighting that we need empiricism in order for a cosmological argument goes through, it's not hard to show scientism to be wrong.

Also, science may play a role in the Kalam cosmological argument in whether the universe had a beginning or is eternal, but is almost irrelevant to all other types. The First Way of Aquinas starts from the general notion of change, for example, and is simply something that science must presuppose if it is to work. Similarly, the Principle of Sufficient reason is something science needs in order to work, a rejection of the PSR undermines scientific ideas.

Ofcourse, you may wish to argue that the Cosmological argument from contingency fails or the Aristotelian-Thomistic metaphysics which are the foundation for the Five Ways of Aquinas are wrong, but this is an argument from philosophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ontological argument also

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending