The Student Room Group

Will I be able to do a level Spanish from scratch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
I thought the same when I was in year 11. I got a ABD in triple science and an A in maths, and I thought I'll probably get Bs in maths,biology and chemistry, but now in my second year of A-levels I'm predicted to get A* in maths and A's in biology and chemistry.

You just have to work hard really

Spoiler

Also if I did geology a level the pass rate is 100% and 42% A* -A grades in college I want to go to would that give me more chance to get a high grade?
Original post by Kaimich17.11
Also what exam boards are you doing, if I did mine for biology it would be AQQ, for chemistry ocr or ocr salters, and edexcel for maths

AQA is the better exam board for biology and chemistry
I'm doing OCR and they're very picky about wording, which can get annoying

For maths I'm doing OCR MEI
For maths the exam board doesn't really matter, because they all have the same content and your answers in the exams are marked similarly
Also if I did geology a level the pass rate is 100% and 42% A* -A grades in college I want to go to would that give me more chance to get a high grade?

It really depends on you, those stats just suggest that the teaching is really good at that college
AQA is the better exam board for biology and chemistry
I'm doing OCR and they're very picky about wording, which can get annoying

For maths I'm doing OCR MEI
For maths the exam board doesn't really matter, because they all have the same content and your answers in the exams are marked similarly

How much content you need to understand and memorise for chemistry ocr specification? Compared to GCSEs
Hello,
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I think my grades are going to be:
Russian-A* Maths- A double science -BB history-C English literature -C/B RS- C French-C English language-C/D Art-C computer studies-pass music-D
I was thinking of doing a levels in maths, biology and fast track Spanish- where you do GCSE in year 12 and As and A2 in second year. As well as you can see my GCSE grade in English my not even reach a C and that's because English is my third language and when I did my coursework I barely knew any English so i got like a U in that, meaning that I had to get an A in first English igcse reading paper to be able to get a C. Additionally for college I'm applying to they require grade A in either English or a foreign language , and I know I gotten A* in Russian but that's because I already basically know it and just had to sit an exam without teacher so had to learn all how to write and read in Russian in a week which I managed. As well as for French I might only get a C because we had a crap teacher who didn't even teach us anything but just said write this and she always said how bad mine was and then just wrote it and I had to remember it for my coursework, as well as I sat the foundation papers, but so many sat higher and now I feel really bad that the college will say no that I can't do the a level. But I can speak Latvian, Russian and English fluently right now, and Latvian and Russian are completely different if you are wondering.
I really will appreciate all the help I can get

Hey, my friend in my French class had never done French when she took it for A-level and she is predicted an A* for it. Otherwise, I take chemistry, biology and french (and did maths and economics at AS) so if you have any questions on that just ask!
How much content you need to understand and memorise for chemistry ocr specification? Compared to GCSEs

Check it out here

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h032-h432-from-2015/
Original post by senpaipoppy
Hey, my friend in my French class had never done French when she took it for A-level and she is predicted an A* for it. Otherwise, I take chemistry, biology and french (and did maths and economics at AS) so if you have any questions on that just ask!

Had she done any other languages at GCSE? And also did she need to remember a lot of stuff in a short period of time?
I got an A at GCSE Spanish and have carried it on. I've just sat my AS exam and I have struggled with it throughout the whole of this year, however it sounds like you're good at and enjoy learning languages. It's completely up to you. If you enjoy learning grammar with lots of rule and exceptions and you really want to do Spanish then go for it!!
Hope I've helped.
Saskia
Had she done any other languages at GCSE? And also did she need to remember a lot of stuff in a short period of time?

Well the thing is she is pretty gifted in languages because she also does spanish and italian a level and is going to do spanish and japanese at uni. But yeah, she did spanish and italian at GCSE and she did find French VERY hard to begin with

Did you have a really good teacher in explaining things, because the teacher at two out of three colleges is quite bad in teaching.
Well the thing is she is pretty gifted in languages because she also does spanish and italian a level and is going to do spanish and japanese at uni. But yeah, she did spanish and italian at GCSE and she did find French VERY hard to begin with

What grades did she get at GCSE because if she got like A or above in both then she is smart and probably I would not be able to be smart enough as everyone else in class, and then they will be you are so bad. However I did learn English in around 8 months and then after 18 months I was even better at English than quite a few native English speakers , but that's because I was actually in England which will not be the case of me being in Spain
What grades did she get at GCSE because if she got like A or above in both then she is smart and probably I would not be able to be smart enough as everyone else in class, and then they will be you are so bad. However I did learn English in around 8 months and then after 18 months I was even better at English than quite a few native English speakers , but that's because I was actually in England which will not be the case of me being in Spain

I have no idea what she got for GCSE, sorry!
Did you have a really good teacher in explaining things, because the teacher at two out of three colleges is quite bad in teaching.

She was good, but not all teachers are the same, they have their own methods
She was good, but not all teachers are the same, they have their own methods

Yes, in the two colleges success rate in chemistry a level is really low
I have no idea what she got for GCSE, sorry!

What are you yourself predicted? And what did you get at GCSE? XD
What are you yourself predicted? And what did you get at GCSE? XD

Well, it's complicated for me in terms of French because my mum is French and she has brought me up with French so while I'm not fluent in it I'm quite good at it and so I did the AS at home last year without being in the lessons. I'm predicted A*AA with the A* being in French but I think I'll most likely get AAB. At GCSE I got 6A*s and 6As
Well, it's complicated for me in terms of French because my mum is French and she has brought me up with French so while I'm not fluent in it I'm quite good at it and so I did the AS at home last year without being in the lessons. I'm predicted A*AA with the A* being in French but I think I'll most likely get AAB. At GCSE I got 6A*s and 6As

Oh I definitely will not get even a C at a level I'm looking at around 2 A*s 2Bs 6Cs 1 D (GCSE) and same with my Russian but universities don't like if you taken an a level in your native language, even if you don't consider it native but your parents are French or so on
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh I definitely will not get even a C at a level I'm looking at around 2 A*s 2Bs 6Cs 1 D (GCSE) and same with my Russian but universities don't like if you taken an a level in your native language, even if you don't consider it native but your parents are French or so on

No, most universities don't mind it because I called up a few to ask obviously with my mum being French and all that and I live in the UK based on my French nationality and all of them (King's, Leeds and Surrey) all said they didn't have a problem with it. The only university I have seen which seems to have a problem with it is Bath
No, most universities don't mind it because I called up a few to ask obviously with my mum being French and all that and I live in the UK based on my French nationality and all of them (King's, Leeds and Surrey) all said they didn't have a problem with it. The only university I have seen which seems to have a problem with it is Bath

So they would not mind? Because I know Russian, Latvian and English fluently and so I can't take any of them at a level. Well English I really don't want to take at a level. As well as they don't even offer those language a levels in Lancashire colleges that re near me.
(edited 7 years ago)
So they would not mind? Because I know Russian, Latvian and English fluently and so I can't take any of them at a level. Well English I really don't want to take at a level. As well as they don't even offer those language a levels in Lancashire colleges that re near me.

You could do those at A level because I'm doing French even though I'm French. How long have you lived in the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest