The Student Room Group

Britain in or out of the European

As our MEU members, soon to be representative elected into our MEU; how do you believe the United Kingdom should act at the upcomming referendum. I'm presuming we will have the majority of you guys being British, but this can include the viewpoints of anyone outside of the UK!

Should the UK leave the EU?
Reply 1
Yes.
No!

It is evident that the European Union needs further reform, especially in terms of becoming more democratic, but ultimately I feel that it is safer economically and physically to stay in.
Yes!
Absolutely not.
Original post by PetrosAC
No!

It is evident that the European Union needs further reform, especially in terms of becoming more democratic, but ultimately I feel that it is safer economically and physically to stay in.

It needs changing so we will try and fail to change it, taking what we don't want because we're insane enough to believe we can act against the majority of Europe's wishes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.

There's so much business and trade that will be disrupted, not to mention all those from EU working or even living here and those from here working elsewhere in the EU. If we leave, there's going to be thousands of applications for permanent residence and who knows what happens to those people. Plus I'll take longer than 2 years to leave which will also cost a lot.
deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
nuuuu
yes

as trade will be barely affected as these countries will still want our money and we want there products the way the in campaign angles it as if mercedes will close all their dealerships and rolex will close its stores and leave
I believe it is much safer and more beneficial for us to stay in the EU. Our ancestors have fought for us to belong with the EU so it would be unmoral to decide to leave. Also politicians are just confusing us with these silly facts which clearly are not the truth.
Original post by Alipattzr5
I believe it is much safer and more beneficial for us to stay in the EU. Our ancestors have fought for us to belong with the EU so it would be unmoral to decide to leave. Also politicians are just confusing us with these silly facts which clearly are not the truth.

Our ancestors have fought for us to belong with the EU? What? The EU was former way later than WW1 and WW2, started as a common market deal between France and Germany. There's no morality involved, it's utterly detrimental to stay in.
Original post by pelaitsc45
Our ancestors have fought for us to belong with the EU? What? The EU was former way later than WW1 and WW2, started as a common market deal between France and Germany. There's no morality involved, it's utterly detrimental to stay in.

If you did not know, in 1948, our ancestors all fought for a peaceful Europe. They helped us become apart of the EU. If it werent for them, we may have never became apart of the EU.
If you did not know, in 1948, our ancestors all fought for a peaceful Europe. They helped us become apart of the EU. If it werent for them, we may have never became apart of the EU.

Sorry what? The war ended in 1945, mate. It was already peaceful by 1948. We fought for a peaceful Europe, not a Europe united under an anti-democratic, anti-economic banner.
Original post by PetrosAC
No!

Principles man...

(Old post I know...)
(And I know we've already had a conversation about this. :tongue:)

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Absolutely not.

Warum nicht? Why not?

Original post by _Lizabeth_
No.

There's so much business and trade that will be disrupted, not to mention all those from EU working or even living here and those from here working elsewhere in the EU. If we leave, there's going to be thousands of applications for permanent residence and who knows what happens to those people. Plus I'll take longer than 2 years to leave which will also cost a lot.

Short term effect.

think long term! Think about the future!

And don't be selfish whilst doing that. :wink:

I guess you don't realise or acknowledge the economic advantages of us leaving?

- EU membership fees (~£55 million/day)(Only half invested into things in UK, and we have no say!)
- Customs Union
- Common External Tariff (Tariff on non-EU agricultural goods, driving down competition, protecting EU trade. But hurts business in third world countries, and drives up our food prices!)
- Energy prices (carbon emission tax, business relocate, driving down competition, higher energy prices. No carbon emission reduction because the businesses just source elsewhere.)
- Fisheries
- Steel industry

Just some things to think about.

Do some research; a lot of this has to do with tariffs (food prices, steel industry) and energy prices (energy prices, steel industry) and carbon/environmental taxes (energy prices, steel industry.)

"Plus I'll take longer than 2 years to leave which will also cost a lot." What prompted you to make this statement?

Original post by Milzime
nuuuu

Why?

Why is it safer and beneficial to stay in the EU?
What? In which wars did our ancestors fight for EU membership?

1a) The war ended in 1945 not 1948
1b) We joined the EEC in 1973, which was the predecessor to the EU
1c) The 28 years gap might have indicated sth
1d) Our ancestors have fought for our democracy; the EU is undemocratic; they don't mix. (Undemocratic because our representatives in the European parliament can't propose, amend or repeal legislation.)
1e) therefore it's immoral to remain, very oh so very immoral.
1f) Which politicians with which facts? You've just generalised politicians, probably including the remain camp of politicians.
Yes and no.
Yes because I think there are many flaws in the running of the EU and its laws and there are many things Britain can benifit from outside the EU.
No because personally I think its a bit early to leave and that we should have held back the referendum until we had a clear(er) plan of what we were going to do when we triggered Article 50, instead of politians constantly telling us "we're in the dark" to avoid the fact they had no idea. We have made the situation a lot harder than it could have been if we left it longer with clearer campaigns.

You say that our "ancestors" fought for us to belong in the EU and that it would be "unmoral" to leave, however I'm pretty sure that older voters, of which many would have voted for us to go into the EU, were actually more likely to vote leave. Therefore its unfair to say its immoral to leave when some who once fought for us to be in it are wanting to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending