The Student Room Group

Did anyone take AS CIE Chemistry exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by alyoan tariq
hello beautiful people ...
i just wanted to ask who over here is going to give cie AS paper 1 9701(chemistry) anytime soon ??
cuz ligit im damn scared for paper 1 my paper 2 was messed up already and i dont want to loose marks in paper 1...
and also do the examiners give the grade based on the total marks in paper 1 ,2, and 3 or they give according to the letters like for example AAB would add up to be A ....?
hope u understand what im trying to ask:/
thank uuu :biggrin:

Original post by fandom-queen
I'm quoting everyone because, whoever replies :-P

I did paper 33, and, for the test for -OH, like an IDIOT, I wrote the sodium metal test. I did think of potassium dichromate, which everyone wrote, but then I thought that it doesn't work with tertiary alcohols and then how would you identify tertiary alcohols.

And then I wrote the sodium test, because I'm obviously the brightest person around. Idiot.

Also, PLEASE, does anyone have tips for AS paper 1?? Please, chemistry, I just cannot manage. I never get above 25, and I'm pretty sure I messed up my other papers.

I did chem too. And ofor paper 3 i used sodium to test Na too but my friend did chromate.

Im so super scared for AS paper 1 bcuz i did Alevel chem as a whole and papee 4 was so bad. And idk about paper 2 and 1. At this point overall B would be satisfing too 😭
Original post by A.S.J
I did chem too. And ofor paper 3 i used sodium to test Na too but my friend did chromate.

Im so super scared for AS paper 1 bcuz i did Alevel chem as a whole and papee 4 was so bad. And idk about paper 2 and 1. At this point overall B would be satisfing too 😭

I feel you. I checked chemguide, and they said it's possibly a test, but, it's not the most ideal one.

Ohh, if the paper was bad, I'm sure the grade threshold will be low.

I'm TERRIFIED for chem paper 1. TERRIFIED.
Reply 102
I feel you. I checked chemguide, and they said it's possibly a test, but, it's not the most ideal one.

You know whats weird? People dping the same variant in one area say the paper (4) was easiest and my area are saying hardest😭😭

I know. I have done chemiatry before and paper 1 is hardest and longest. And this year im more worried. Idk what to di and how to study
Reply 103
Oh people by t he way can we anyhow find an unoffical ms?? Edexcel always has one.😞
Ohh, simple, the part where you're supposed to invert the thing, to prevent air bubbles, always use a paper towel. Eventhough they mention it in the paper, a lot of people try using their hands. Preferably, take a handkerchief with you, because, tissue usually disintegrates underwater, so, taking out the whole tissue might be a struggle, because it'll rip apart.

That's it really, it's a very mechanical experiment and, just follow the instructions to the T and you'll be fine!

Also, I have MCQs coming up, and, do YOU have any tips for that?

197cm3????!
My teacher got around 100-110 and i got 85 cm3!! How many marks will be cut for wronf volume?
My all other working was correct
Original post by Insia786
197cm3????!
My teacher got around 100-110 and i got 85 cm3!! How many marks will be cut for wronf volume?
My all other working was correct

Probably one. Don't worry, they judge based on the teacher, so, my teacher's volume won't affect you marks.
Original post by A.S.J
You know whats weird? People dping the same variant in one area say the paper (4) was easiest and my area are saying hardest😭😭

I know. I have done chemiatry before and paper 1 is hardest and longest. And this year im more worried. Idk what to di and how to study

well, they take into account areas, I think. So dw, it'll be fine.

IKR IKR, I wanna cry. Chem MCQ is horrible.
Original post by SamihaTahsin
hey i wanted to know if they really give questions from the papers in the 90's. cause that would be awesome. in that case, could you give me the link to the site which has papers from that long ago? TIA!

yep im 100% sure they pick up like about a few questions from there and paste it into our paper but the thing is i dunno where u get these papers on the internet cuz our teacher gave us like a hard copy and that to classfied but i remember looking it up on the internet to find the marking scheme but i cudnt even find any question paper (let alone marking scheme) but then after so long i found a website but it has only question paper no marking scheme and unfortunately i dont remember the name of the website "sorry"
i think u can like look it up im sure its there ..somewhere .....
thanks
Original post by A.S.J

i didnt do my practicals yet so i have no idea but i guesse u were supposed to write pl3 not chromate or Na

so what can we write pcl3 or sodium metal ?
Original post by Insia786
FA 9 and FA10 both we nitrates as none of them released brown gas(NO2) with dilute HCL.

@helloheyyo
@olmomiau
@_dee [s]smile[/s]
What was the volume of CO2 in question 2?
I got 85cm3.
The supervisor got between 100-110
Would i be fine?

hey i wanted to ask a question im going to give my AS chemistry practicals like after tommrow so do the results come the same for different variants or like ill have something different than nitrates ?
so what can we write pcl3 or sodium metal ?

I think PCl3 is better. Na is not the best test, even though it is applicable
I think PCl3 is better. Na is not the best test, even though it is applicable

thanks
i didnt do my practicals yet so i have no idea but i guesse u were supposed to write pl3 not chromate or Na

Hey
You are doing paper 34??
Original post by Hirusha Madushan
Hey
You are doing paper 34??

nope 33 ...
Reply 115

yep im 100% sure they pick up like about a few questions from there and paste it into our paper but the thing is i dunno where u get these papers on the internet cuz our teacher gave us like a hard copy and that to classfied but i remember looking it up on the internet to find the marking scheme but i cudnt even find any question paper (let alone marking scheme) but then after so long i found a website but it has only question paper no marking scheme and unfortunately i dont remember the name of the website "sorry"
i think u can like look it up im sure its there ..somewhere .....
thanks

well, they take into account areas, I think. So dw, it'll be fine.

IKR IKR, I wanna cry. Chem MCQ is horrible.

MCQ suck!! Omg yes!! 90's do come. When k did phy i started from 1993 and there were so many repeat in papers.
But you have a site whére tgey have papers and ms.?

The link is given here...
Original post by Hirusha Madushan
The link is given here...

what other subjects are you doing with CIE? you disabled the private message function on your profile?
Original post by A.S.J
MCQ suck!! Omg yes!! 90's do come. When k did phy i started from 1993 and there were so many repeat in papers.
But you have a site whére tgey have papers and ms.?

Wait, 90s come???
Reply 119
They do. Mostly its same 2000's cuz 90's are repeated in 2000's to if you see the 90's paper you will see so many repeats.
Wait, 90s come???

Quick Reply

Latest