The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euan1603
5th year yeah? How did the exams go for you? I thought they were not too bad actually. What sort of work experience etc do you have/planning on getting. Soz for all the questions, just like to see how other people are doing as I'm the only person in my year wanting to do medicine so I have no one to talk to uni about haha

Nah I'm taking a gap year , I just finished 6th year . I've got aweek of work experience at the queen Elizabeth university hospital and a week at a care home. I'm also doing dofe Gold. What about yourself
Original post by OneAfrica
Nah I'm taking a gap year , I just finished 6th year . I've got aweek of work experience at the queen Elizabeth university hospital and a week at a care home. I'm also doing dofe Gold. What about yourself

Just finished 5th year, had work experience in dentistry (thought I wanted to do Dentistey but changed my mind) got a week coming up in a fortnight and also doing gold. Do volunteering at local hospital and at a disability home. Is that the big new fancy hospital? That should be great! Did u apply to uni this year or will next year be your first time applying( would love to hear any tips you have) haha
Just finished 5th year, had work experience in dentistry (thought I wanted to do Dentistey but changed my mind) got a week coming up in a fortnight and also doing gold. Do volunteering at local hospital and at a disability home. Is that the big new fancy hospital? That should be great! Did u apply to uni this year or will next year be your first time applying( would love to hear any tips you have) haha

This will be my second time applying. The first time round I had a weak UKCAT score so hopefully its better second time round
This will be my second time applying. The first time round I had a weak UKCAT score so hopefully its better second time round

What did you get if you don't mind me asking and where did you apply? Have you got any tips for applying?
Reply 84
guys what books are you all using to prepare?
Original post by emmaK98
guys what books are you all using to prepare?

1000 questions atm
Reply 86
1000 questions atm

yea ive been looking at that. I have the Kaplan book already and it seems pretty darn awesome, What about online resource? Ive heard good things about https://www.medify.co.uk/ Looks like they have a lot of questions but also expensive :/
What did you get if you don't mind me asking and where did you apply? Have you got any tips for applying?

I got a UKCAT score of 2200. The only advice I can give is to take each part of the application one step at a time so at this point in time you should just focus on the UKCAT and forget about the rest of the application. Instead of doing everything at once which is one of the mistakes I did. What part of Scotland do you live in?
Original post by .Jeff458
hey.

best of luck. I will try and do the book and might get medify. not sure, but i am soooo scared.

i will start next week probs and do about an hour a day because of work experience. wbu?

What do you aim for? I think if you do all questions from the book you should be fine. I mean it is 1000 questions! When will you start because yours is in July?

Best of luck. Hope you do great :smile:

I'm really worried that everyone has started so early! I'm still going my AS levels and so i really need to be focusuing on them the most right now, i was going to start after i finsih them, my test is in august but im on holiday for 2 weeks (last week of july and first week of august) so im worried i wont hvae nought time
Original post by mliela
Practice practice practice. Fast maths is necessary. I got 850 in QR in the end which I was extremely happy about.
General things like dealing with percentages is useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really stuggle with this and feel like if i dont do well it will be bec of this.I cant even get the maths right, let along in the set time :frown: and i take as level maths and got an A* in it at GCSE
Reply 90
Thanks for all the advice.. Keep them coming. I'm sure those of us doing the ukcat this year will need it all :smile:

I'm doing my test in august and the plan is to study a month before starting with the 600 book then medify in the last 1-2 weeks. Since I'm doing the gamsat too, I'll have to somehow squeeze revising for that whilst I revise for the ukcat. I'm not confident I'll get an offer for 2017 (first time applicant, haven't started work experience, etc) so I'm focusing more on the gamsat since the results are valid for two years.

Good luck to everyone with their preparation and actual test!
I got a UKCAT score of 2200. The only advice I can give is to take each part of the application one step at a time so at this point in time you should just focus on the UKCAT and forget about the rest of the application. Instead of doing everything at once which is one of the mistakes I did. What part of Scotland do you live in?

Thank You for the advice! I'm from the highlands, are you from Glasgow or near that area?
Reply 92
Original post by clairebear101
I really stuggle with this and feel like if i dont do well it will be bec of this.I cant even get the maths right, let along in the set time :frown: and i take as level maths and got an A* in it at GCSE

I'm sure you'll be fine. Basic maths knowledge so GCSE level is needed. Just try and practice timing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
I'm sure you'll be fine. Basic maths knowledge so GCSE level is needed. Just try and practice timing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you apply this year? How did you find the whole process etc and what was the worst part. Really looking forward to this year but nervous at the same time oh and what unis did u apply to aswell
Reply 94
Did you apply this year? How did you find the whole process etc and what was the worst part. Really looking forward to this year but nervous at the same time oh and what unis did u apply to aswell

Yeah I applied this year. I'll message you more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Yeah I applied this year. I'll message you more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!

You'll get there the more you practice, learn how to quickly and easily use the computer calculator as this is so helpful in saving you some few well needed seconds!
I'm really worried that everyone has started so early! I'm still going my AS levels and so i really need to be focusuing on them the most right now, i was going to start after i finsih them, my test is in august but im on holiday for 2 weeks (last week of july and first week of august) so im worried i wont hvae nought time

I'm sure if you put your head down hard when you're done it should be ok. People on here saying it took them a month only!

Best of luck with the exams. Luckily I am a Scottish applicant so my exams finished on the 24th June :smile:
Original post by .Jeff458
I'm sure if you put your head down hard when you're done it should be ok. People on here saying it took them a month only!

Best of luck with the exams. Luckily I am a Scottish applicant so my exams finished on the 24th June :smile:

how can they have finished on the 24Th? it's only the 2nd?
how can they have finished on the 24Th? it's only the 2nd?

I'm guessing he means they are going to finish on the 24th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending