The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ljf123
I do,
-Sz -Relationships -Aggression -Cog' Development and Media

Well, for aggression, it is likely to be anything biological/evolutionary. Because Institutional was last year, social psychological was the year before, and they are from the same sub-section so it is unlikely to come up. Although it's worth knowing Social Psychological. Media, could be anything really, just probably not the same as last year, apart from the applied, as they are most likely to use an advertising/persuasion question.
Reply 1201
Original post by evekay
Here's a list of mine..

Circadian rhythms
Infradian rhythms
Ultradian rhythms
Role of Endogenous Pacemakers
Role of Exogenous Zeitgebers (these so could come up as one essay but I've got both just in case)
Lifespan changes in sleep
Explanations for sleep walking
Explanations for insomnia

What did you write as your A01 in the Insomnia essay?
Reply 1202
Original post by TMC113
Well, for aggression, it is likely to be anything biological/evolutionary. Because Institutional was last year, social psychological was the year before, and they are from the same sub-section so it is unlikely to come up. Although it's worth knowing Social Psychological. Media, could be anything really, just probably not the same as last year, apart from the applied, as they are most likely to use an advertising/persuasion question.

thankyou!!!
Okay so just to be clear and psychological androgyny is the same thing as gender dysphoria and gender identity disorder?
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, is it always necessary to bring in another theory in an essay? For example if I talk about the theory in the question and evaluate it negatively throughout the essay, is it necessary to bring in another theory at the end? My teacher has taught us from the beginning of the year to bring in another theory otherwise we "won't get the marks". If yes, how much do we have to write for the second theory? For example, is it okay to point out a weakness of the theory in the question and then state... "Therefore we can consider X which does take into account ....." And then just outline it? Or do we also evaluate this one?

I've asked so much lol but my teacher basically makes us write 2 essays in one and I don't even know if it's necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Okay so just to be clear and psychological androgyny is the same thing as gender dysphoria and gender identity disorder?

Did they not remove androgyny from
the spec? You don't need to learn that

Posted from TSR Mobile
god knows how i'm going to learn all this content for this exam
Original post by brown_eyes
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, is it always necessary to bring in another theory in an essay? For example if I talk about the theory in the question and evaluate it negatively throughout the essay, is it necessary to bring in another theory at the end? My teacher has taught us from the beginning of the year to bring in another theory otherwise we "won't get the marks". If yes, how much do we have to write for the second theory? For example, is it okay to point out a weakness of the theory in the question and then state... "Therefore we can consider X which does take into account ....." And then just outline it? Or do we also evaluate this one?

I've asked so much lol but my teacher basically makes us write 2 essays in one and I don't even know if it's necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been told that it's not completely necessary for A01 to bring in another study as long as you have sufficient information! But with A02, it is best to contain either a strength or weakness at least, talking about methodology, and the easiest way to do so is talking about another study.

For example, if you do sleep, then with the ultradian rhythm, there are no studies in the A01 as it purely about the stages in which we sleep, but I have 2 studies in my A02, in which I evaluate ethics, artificial settings etc
How's everyone doing with learning research methods, any tips because I'm finding this really difficult!
Original post by A-LJLB
It's only reductionist if it's a biological theory remember.

I didn't know this, thought reductionist could be used for any explanation and is an easy weakness to use, as it's almost appropriate for every explanation. I've handed essays into my teacher's evaluating for example Beck's cognitive model and they have marked that correct?
Original post by Mesosleepy
If you were referring to the 6 stage Duck model then I have evaluations for that

Original post by SunDun111
Yep.

Duck only has 4 stages???
Original post by Mesosleepy
Akert - shows that the role people play in a breakup determines how successful stage 6 is, highlighting the holistic nature of the model for focusing on the processes of each stage, suggesting that each stage have ultimately different consequences depending on the situation.

Culture bias - assumes all relationships in follow the same processes. In some cultures, official breakups are not allowed, even though a relationship may "breakdown" within a marriage.

Heterosexual bias - Facots such as sexuality are not taken into account meaning that their relationships won't go the same way.

I thought Akert et al was the one who said about those who instigated a relationship ending has less negative consequences than the non instigator? Showing individual differences with theory doesnt explain.
And im sure ducks model is only 4 stages??
Original post by A-LJLB
It's only reductionist if it's a biological theory remember.

I dont think thats true, reductionist can be applied to any theory that doesnt consider other factors e.g social influence from vicarious reinforcement doesnt consider nurture aspect and bilogy. Same thing can be applied to when a relatinship breaks down its reductionist because doesnt consider individual differences that occur such as whos the instigator whether stages were skipped from Duck and lees model. Ive done it like this and been told its correct and many others have.

Original post by k.bryan4
I didn't know this, thought reductionist could be used for any explanation and is an easy weakness to use, as it's almost appropriate for every explanation. I've handed essays into my teacher's evaluating for example Beck's cognitive model and they have marked that correct?

Yeh i think youre right as ive explained reductionist can be applied to anything since it means over simplistic and this can be used for any theory.
It doesn't have to just be for biological ... It can be used to say that anything has been "oversimplified"
Original post by jessbuss97
I've done an essay that combines both endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers. Could they come up as two separate essays? If they could how likely is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

honestly i don't know how likely, i've just gone completely off of what loopa said!:colondollar:
Original post by Im130
What did you write as your A01 in the Insomnia essay?

i wrote about the different types of insomnia i think? Have you opened the document to see? I basically got it from loopa haha, basically relying on him:colondollar:
i am screwed for this exam :ashamed2: :argh::albertein:
Original post by k.bryan4

No. Look at ALL of the examiners reports and time and time again they mention how students continuously use reductionism incorrectly. If it's not a biological theory, then it's limited view not reductionist :smile:
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
I dont think thats true, reductionist can be applied to any theory that doesnt consider other factors e.g social influence from vicarious reinforcement doesnt consider nurture aspect and bilogy. Same thing can be applied to when a relatinship breaks down its reductionist because doesnt consider individual differences that occur such as whos the instigator whether stages were skipped from Duck and lees model. Ive done it like this and been told its correct and many others have.

Yeh i think youre right as ive explained reductionist can be applied to anything since it means over simplistic and this can be used for any theory.

No. It's limited view if it isn't a biological theory. Look at the examiners reports, they mention it every year.

Reductionism is only applicable when it only considers biology.

From the examiners report:
"although this has been referenced in every report for the last few years, the vast majority of students still used ‘reductionism’ inappropriately."
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
No. It's limited view if it isn't a biological theory. Look at the examiners reports, they mention it every year.

Reductionism is only applicable when it only considers biology.

From the examiners report:
"although this has been referenced in every report for the last few years, the vast majority of students still used ‘reductionism’ inappropriately."

Could you link me an examiners report cause looking at them i cant find any that says anything specifically about reductionism being biological.

Latest

Trending

Trending