The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Could you link me an examiners report cause looking at them i cant find any that says anything specifically about reductionism being biological.

Give me a second, I'll try and find it :smile:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PSYA3-WRE-JUN13.PDF

Third paragraph towards the end :smile: it's then constantly mentioned in each report each year
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
Give me a second, I'll try and find it :smile:

Reductionist’ is still being used inaccurately by many students. It does not mean ‘narrow’, it means fragmenting behaviour into smaller and basic units, and is best reserved for the biological approach.
Thats the only thing ive found but it says "best used" so surely still applies to other theories if appropriate?
Reductionist’ is still being used inaccurately by many students. It does not mean ‘narrow’, it means fragmenting behaviour into smaller and basic units, and is best reserved for the biological approach.
Thats the only thing ive found but it says "best used" so surely still applies to other theories if appropriate?

Nooo. If you read all reports you'll understand it only gains credit. In one of them it states if it's not biological to use LIMITED VIEW. Limited view means it only considers that theory and nothing else. Reductionism means it only consider that BIOLOGICAL theory and nothing else.

If you use reductionism, you won't be credited and you'll actually lose marks as your answer will not be accurate
Original post by A-LJLB
Nooo. If you read all reports you'll understand it only gains credit. In one of them it states if it's not biological to use LIMITED VIEW. Limited view means it only considers that theory and nothing else. Reductionism means it only consider that BIOLOGICAL theory and nothing else.

If you use reductionism, you won't be credited and you'll actually lose marks as your answer will not be accurate

reductionismrɪˈdʌkʃ(ə)nɪz(ə)m/

the practice of analysing and describing a complex phenomenon in terms of its simple or fundamental constituents, especially when this is said to provide a sufficient explanation.

just thought i'd throw in the definition of reductionism.. i don't understand why you wouldn't gain credit for using it alongside other approaches?
Original post by evekay
reductionismrɪˈdʌkʃ(ə)nɪz(ə)m/

the practice of analysing and describing a complex phenomenon in terms of its simple or fundamental constituents, especially when this is said to provide a sufficient explanation.

just thought i'd throw in the definition of reductionism.. i don't understand why you wouldn't gain credit for using it alongside other approaches?

Okay okay you guys clearly don't believe me which is fine. Having had s teacher as an examiner and plenty of resources from my college directly from the board I know when to use reductionism and limited view.

I was just trying to help, as you will lose marks
Original post by A-LJLB
Okay okay you guys clearly don't believe me which is fine. Having had s teacher as an examiner and plenty of resources from my college directly from the board I know when to use reductionism and limited view.

I was just trying to help, as you will lose marks

no no don't take it the wrong way, i'm just genuinely interested as i've never been marked down for it before?:smile:
Hey anyone that's doing Bio rhythms/sleep, I'm a bit confused as to the definitions of ultradian and infradian rhythms, different websites and books/recourses say different things? So is ultradian 'less than a day' or 'more than a day but less than a year'? (And same for infradian) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evekay
no no don't take it the wrong way, i'm just genuinely interested as i've never been marked down for it before?:smile:

That's the problem, the examiners reports are increasingly frustrated over it as they keep saying "students continue to use reductionism" inappropriately. It's just what the exam board say, unfortunately. Limited view means the same thing so just use that if it's not a biological theory. It's quite disheartening some schools/colleges aren't aware, it's all over the reports
Original post by A-LJLB

No problem I'll use that from now on, does that still count as an IDA point? And is it marked as A03?
No problem I'll use that from now on, does that still count as an IDA point? And is it marked as A03?

Yeah, you use it in exactly the same way as reductionism, just you can use it for any theory at all and they can't get all picky with it!
Original post by A-LJLB
That's the problem, the examiners reports are increasingly frustrated over it as they keep saying "students continue to use reductionism" inappropriately. It's just what the exam board say, unfortunately. Limited view means the same thing so just use that if it's not a biological theory. It's quite disheartening some schools/colleges aren't aware, it's all over the reports

that's fair enough! i'll definitely remember that from now on so thank you:smile:
Original post by evekay
that's fair enough! i'll definitely remember that from now on so thank you:smile:

No problem, it's such a common thing and can really change what banding your essay is put in.

Although I do agree, I don't see why it can't be used, just picky examiners :dontknow:
Original post by A-LJLB
No problem, it's such a common thing and can really change what banding your essay is put in.

Although I do agree, I don't see why it can't be used, just picky examiners :dontknow:

My teachers are idiots dont know why they would say reductionism could be used for everything... Atleast you made us aware thanks!
Is anyone answering the gender topic next week and knows why dysphoria, biological (role of genes/hormones) and evolutionary have never come up?
Also does anyone know when loopa are releasing the predictions for the other topics in unit 3?

Thank you
Original post by AmbikaKJ
Hey anyone that's doing Bio rhythms/sleep, I'm a bit confused as to the definitions of ultradian and infradian rhythms, different websites and books/recourses say different things? So is ultradian 'less than a day' or 'more than a day but less than a year'? (And same for infradian) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An ultradian rhythm is less than 24 hours but repeats itself, such as the stages of sleep, that are 90 mins long but repeat themselves throughout the night.

An infradian rhythm is more than a day but less than a year, this includes the menstrual cycle and the circannual rhythm of SAD
Is it possible to get an A* overall in psychology this year?
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Is it possible to get an A* overall in psychology this year?

If you got at least a C in AS, yep :smile:
Original post by A-LJLB

Since your teacher is an examiner, do you have any other tips? I have no teacher so I could really use any advice you have!!!!
Original post by Hihihi123
Since your teacher is an examiner, do you have any other tips? I have no teacher so I could really use any advice you have!!!!

I mean the teachers in our college really only gave us general advice! We just trusted their marking haha!

Always try and link studies together, this will increase your marks. So state a study and the findings, link it to the theory and then link in another study using discourse markers (additionally/more over/similarly/in contrast) that either supports the same thing or opposes it.

Similarly, link your IDA points. So if it's deterministic, "if we accept it as true we can impose practical applications such as..."

Point, explain, evaluate, elaborate is the structure to do for each paragraph!
Original post by A-LJLB
I mean the teachers in our college really only gave us general advice! We just trusted their marking haha!

Always try and link studies together, this will increase your marks. So state a study and the findings, link it to the theory and then link in another study using discourse markers (additionally/more over/similarly/in contrast) that either supports the same thing or opposes it.

Similarly, link your IDA points. So if it's deterministic, "if we accept it as true we can impose practical applications such as..."

Point, explain, evaluate, elaborate is the structure to do for each paragraph!

Could I possibly pm you one of my essays to check? Again, I have no teacher so I've been going kind of blind this year... do you do the relationships topic? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending