The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

is there a jan 2016 ial for s1?
Where can I find challenging S1 questions? I did all the past papers for C1 but still managed to do terrible in this years paper...
Original post by Emilypickett
Where can I find challenging S1 questions? I did all the past papers for C1 but still managed to do terrible in this years paper...

do all the solomon papers, i did that last year when I sat S1 and got 91 ums
Reply 23
Does anyone have an easy way of remembering the formulas or any steps for each topic of how do it?
Reply 24
Original post by txmz.00
Does anyone have an easy way of remembering the formulas or any steps for each topic of how do it?

half the exam is just using the formula sheet. It seems to me you can get awat with knowing virtually nothing about correlation and regression except how to use the formulae
Reply 25
What topics are people finding most difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T17MA
What topics are people finding most difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Normal distribution! I'm getting better with practice though. :h: What about you?
Reply 27
Normal distribution! I'm getting better with practice though. :h: What about you?

I find normal distribution and probability difficult. Hopefully the practice will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
does anybody know if we have to remember the steps and advantages/disadvantages to a Mathematical Model. In the textbook it said it's not required however it came up in a past paper i just did (January 2007-i think), so should I learn it or leave it?
Reply 29
Original post by JT423
does anybody know if we have to remember the steps and advantages/disadvantages to a Mathematical Model. In the textbook it said it's not required however it came up in a past paper i just did (January 2007-i think), so should I learn it or leave it?

there often seems to be a couple of marks on the paper to test your understanding of one of the topics so you never know
Help please
I don't seem to understand why the answer is 25 when they want 75%
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464778909.548557.jpg
I thought it would be something like this:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464778974.484192.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know if I can just write down the answer for normal distribution questions (using my calculator) and get full marks for the question? for the questions like find P(Z>-0.5) etc, my calculator can give a value for it instantly (and so does like every calculator...)
Original post by Bloom77
Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's exceeded by 75%, so its asking for a score that 75% of people get above, so it's also the score that 25% get less than, and the lower quartile is 25 so that's the answer
Original post by metrize
It's exceeded by 75%, so its asking for a score that 75% of people get above, so it's also the score that 25% get less than, and the lower quartile is 25 so that's the answer

But 38 people are also exceeded by 75% people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
But 38 people are also exceeded by 75% people

Posted from TSR Mobile

38 is the upper quartile so thats the upper 25%
What is everyone doing as revision for S1?

I did all the past papers for C1 as well and I felt like that didn't prepare me enough for the actual exam, it was nothing like the past papers!! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Bloom77
Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its asking for the mark that is gained by 75% of female students. The answer is 25 because upto 25 marks is 25% after 25 marks is 75%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dominator1
Where can I get the mark scheme?

You don't. Sounds like rubbish to me.
Reply 38
Does anyone have an easy way of working out the different probabilities i am having difficulty understanding probability cannot get my head around it.
Original post by txmz.00
Does anyone have an easy way of working out the different probabilities i am having difficulty understanding probability cannot get my head around it.

You might find this helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovc0NR_JwKU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending