The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Very nice indeed.
I cna see the method but can't be bothered to put pen to paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What method have you chosen for (b)?
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Given that
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle I_n = \int_{0}^{2}x^n \sqrt{2x-x^2}\hspace{4pt}\mathrm{d}x, \hspace{15} n\geqslant0

(a) find I0I_0

(b) Show that In=2n+1n+2In1\displaystyle I_n = \frac{2n+1}{n+2}I_{n-1}

(c) Hence show that In=(2n+1)!πn!(n+2)!2nI_n = \displaystyle\frac{(2n+1)! \pi}{n!(n+2)!2^n}

a) Write 021(x1)2dx\int_0^2 \sqrt{1-(x-1)^2} \, \mathrm{d}x, then shift it over to get I0=111x2dxI_0 = \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x where a straightforward u=sinxu=\sin x sub sorts it out, gives π2\frac{\pi}{2}.

b) Write xn2xx2=xn+1/22xx^n\sqrt{2x-x^2} = x^{n + 1/2} \sqrt{2-x} and use IBP with u=xn+1/2u = x^{n + 1/2} and dv=2x\mathrm{d}v = \sqrt{2-x}. The uvuv portion clearly disappears and we are left with:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}I_n &= \frac{(2n+1)}{3} \int_0^2 x^{n-1} \sqrt{2x-x^2} (2-x) \, \mathrm{d}x \\ \\ & \iff = 3I_n = 2(2n+1)I_{n-1} - (2n+1)I_n \\ \\ & \iff 2(n+2)I_n = 2(2n+1)I_{n-1} \\ \\ & \iff I_n = \frac{2n+1}{n+2}I_{n-1}\end{align*}

as required.

c) It follows straightforwardly that we end up with In=2(2n+1)!!(n+2)!I0=(2n+1)!2n1n!(n+2)!×π2=(2n+1)!πn!(n+2)!2nI_n = \frac{2(2n+1)!!}{(n+2)!} I_0 = \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^{n-1}n!(n+2)!} \times \frac{\pi}{2} = \frac{(2n+1)! \pi}{n! (n+2)! 2^n} using the well known double factorial identity.
Reply 362
FP3 June 2009

this paper, question 7 c). shortest distance between two skew vectors. mark scheme says you have to use a formula (link), but i've never seen this formula and i can't see it in the formula booklet?

could someone please explain how you would find the solution?
How did this turn out for you? Did you get the result?

Couldn't figure out a substitution for a, so I tried to complete the square but it hasn't worked as that :s-smilie:. Guessing there's a sneaky little thing which I cannot be arsed waiting for myself to figure out. I moved onto b at this point.

As for b, I tried to do the method as I suggested last night, but this fails to work as I get x22x.udu\int{\frac{x}{2-2x}} . \sqrt{u} du for v. I tried to take a x12x^\frac12 outside of the square root which surprisingly lead me quite far, but at the end I was stuck with a (2x-x^2) which I wouldn't be able to multiply out, as it would lead to In+1I_{n+1} stuff.
Original post by Craig1998
Couldn't figure out a substitution for a, so I tried to complete the square but it hasn't worked as that :s-smilie:. Guessing there's a sneaky little thing which I cannot be arsed waiting for myself to figure out. I moved onto b at this point.

As for b, I tried to do the method as I suggested last night, but this fails to work as I get x22x.udu\int{\frac{x}{2-2x}} . \sqrt{u} du for v. I tried to take a x12x^\frac12 outside of the square root which surprisingly lead me quite far, but at the end I was stuck with a (2x-x^2) which I wouldn't be able to multiply out, as it would lead to In+1I_{n+1} stuff.

See two posts above for my solution.
Original post by Zacken
See two posts above for my solution.

Dammit. Forgot the power was 3/2 when I turned my piece of paper over. Thank you for figuring out the stupidness of part a which I'm going to be screwed over by if they ask something like it in the exam.
@A Slice of Pi where did you get the reduction integration from btw? Would those sorts of ones appear in FP3 (even as a really hard question).
@A Slice of Pi where did you get the reduction integration from btw? Would those sorts of ones appear in FP3 (even as a really hard question).

It seemed like a standard FP3 question to me. (and I think he made it up himself).

I based the part b question on a reduction formula I came across a few months ago, then put it into the 'Edexcel style'. It's one I could remember because the splitting of the integral wasn't obvious. I can't remember the source of the original question, which had a slightly different integral but the principle was the same. I'm not 100% sure whether something like this will come up. I'm with AQA for A-level so I don't know what level of difficulty the Edexcel FP3 papers go to.
Original post by Zacken
It seemed like a standard FP3 question to me. (and I think he made it up himself).

Most of the ones I've seen tend to be either:
Generic easy ones like In=βαxnexdxI_n = \int_\beta^\alpha x^n e^x dx
Trig ones like In=βαcosnxdxI_n = \int_\beta^\alpha \cos^n x dx
Weird ones where the thought comes after the ibp βαxn2x2dx\int_\beta^\alpha x^n \sqrt{2-x^2} dx - this was similar to the other one, which is why my first thought was to split it into x.xn1x . x^{n-1} then do a substitution.

They seem to stop after that and don't really have ones that require a lot of thought before the ibp. Not in the past papers I've seen anyway.

The only other one's I have seen are one's that are like Im,nI_{m,n}, but weve never been taught them so I assume they are not on the spec.
Original post by Zacken
a) Write 021(x1)2dx\int_0^2 \sqrt{1-(x-1)^2} \, \mathrm{d}x, then shift it over to get I0=111x2dxI_0 = \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x where a straightforward u=sinxu=\sin x sub sorts it out, gives π2\frac{\pi}{2}.

b) Write xn2xx2=xn+1/22xx^n\sqrt{2x-x^2} = x^{n + 1/2} \sqrt{2-x} and use IBP with u=xn+1/2u = x^{n + 1/2} and dv=2x\mathrm{d}v = \sqrt{2-x}. The uvuv portion clearly disappears and we are left with:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}I_n &= \frac{(2n+1)}{3} \int_0^2 x^{n-1} \sqrt{2x-x^2} (2-x) \, \mathrm{d}x \\ \\ & \iff = 3I_n = 2(2n+1)I_{n-1} - (2n+1)I_n \\ \\ & \iff 2(n+2)I_n = 2(2n+1)I_{n-1} \\ \\ & \iff I_n = \frac{2n+1}{n+2}I_{n-1}\end{align*}

as required.

c) It follows straightforwardly that we end up with In=2(2n+1)!!(n+2)!I0=(2n+1)!2n1n!(n+2)!×π2=(2n+1)!πn!(n+2)!2nI_n = \frac{2(2n+1)!!}{(n+2)!} I_0 = \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^{n-1}n!(n+2)!} \times \frac{\pi}{2} = \frac{(2n+1)! \pi}{n! (n+2)! 2^n} using the well known double factorial identity.

My method was about 7 steps longer even though it is fundamentally just like yours :biggrin: Wish I knew those tricks like shifting the limits and the double factorial thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
My method was about 7 steps longer even though it is fundamentally just like yours :biggrin: Wish I knew those tricks like shifting the limits and the double factorial thing.

If it helps, "shifting the limits" is just me sneakily using the sub xx1x \mapsto x-1 or u=x1u=x-1 in my head, nothing fancy there. :tongue:

And then, the double factorial thing isn't much work at all, it's just:

(2n+1)!!=(2n+1)(2n1)(1)=(2n+1)!(2n)(2n2)(2n4)(2)=(2n+1)!2nn!\displaystyle (2n+1)!! = (2n+1)(2n-1)\cdots (1) = \frac{(2n+1)!}{(2n)(2n-2)(2n-4)\cdots(2)} = \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}

So it's not as impressive as you think. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
If it helps, "shifting the limits" is just me sneakily using the sub xx1x \mapsto x-1 or u=x1u=x-1 in my head, nothing fancy there. :tongue:

And then, the double factorial thing isn't much work at all, it's just:

(2n+1)!!=(2n+1)(2n1)(1)=(2n+1)!(2n)(2n2)(2n4)(2)=(2n+1)!2nn!\displaystyle (2n+1)!! = (2n+1)(2n-1)\cdots (1) = \frac{(2n+1)!}{(2n)(2n-2)(2n-4)\cdots(2)} = \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}

So it's not as impressive as you think. :tongue:

What I did is that I multiplied both numerator and denominator by 2^n (n)!, it's just the double factorial thing looked more elegant :biggrin:
Where does the factor of 2 in the numerator come from btw?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

as required.

Hey Zack, where does the factor of 2 come from in C?

One second

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oShahpo
Hey Zack, where does the factor of 2 come from in C?

We require n1n \geq 1 so the (n+2)!(n+2)! in the denominator doesn't contain the (0+2)=2(0+2) = 2 terms. But I wrote it as a factorial and multiplied the numerator by 2 to account for the extra insertion of 2 in the denominator from the factorial.

i.e: the denominator should really just be (n+2)(n+1)(3)(n+2)(n+1) \cdots (3) but I write (n+2)!=(n+2)(n+1)(2)(1)(n+2)! = (n+2)(n+1) \cdots (2)(1) so had to multiply the numerator by 2 to compensate for that.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464821712.246474.jpg
My way for this nice reduction question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
We require n1n \geq 1 so the (n+2)!(n+2)! in the denominator doesn't contain the (0+2)=2(0+2) = 2 terms. But I wrote it as a factorial and multiplied the numerator by 2 to account for the extra insertion of 2 in the denominator from the factorial.

i.e: the denominator should really just be (n+2)(n+1)(3)(n+2)(n+1) \cdots (3) but I write (n+2)!=(n+2)(n+1)(2)(1)(n+2)! = (n+2)(n+1) \cdots (2)(1) so had to multiply the numerator by 2 to compensate for that.

Splendid :biggrin: Thanks a lot.
Original post by physicsmaths
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464821712.246474.jpg
My way for this nice reduction question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice! I'd rep but it won't let me
Reply 379
Original post by Anon-
FP3 June 2009

this paper, question 7 c). shortest distance between two skew vectors. mark scheme says you have to use a formula (link), but i've never seen this formula and i can't see it in the formula booklet?

could someone please explain how you would find the solution?

Just did this now, hope Im not too late
Find the direction vector between the 2 position vectors and do the dot product of that with the unit normal vector (the normal of the 2 direction vectors)

The absolute value of the dot product is the shortest distance
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending