The Student Room Group

What would America want from a British citizen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zombiejon
Pretty much. Bear in mind that it's usually at the end of the 2 year mark, although some 1st years will reqister due to having transfer credit. Take a look at the Microbiology department requirements when looking at schools to double check. For example, Cornell has the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, along with the College of Arts and Sciences, and biology majors can enroll in either one. UCLA's Micro department has posted their requirements on their departmental web page.

The usual requirements for micro are 1 year PHY, 1 year BIOL and 1 year CHEM. There might be other pre-reqs to get into Micro, and there will be required courses to stay with that major.

If you really aren't sure, you could email one of the department/academic advisors once enrolled at a university, and ask them about how to set up your schedule. There should be a day where departments will have a booth handing out flyers so students can understand the requisite courses better.

That made sooo much sense, thanks!

I have emailed UCLA and LMU so far.
Original post by the.chantele
That made sooo much sense, thanks!

I have emailed UCLA and LMU so far.

Is the University of California on the common app?
Is the University of California on the common app?

IIRC, UC runs on their own application system. You will have to pay an application fee for each campus you apply to (multiples of 80USD for international applicants).
Okay thank you so much!!!

One more thing, when l read in all University websites requirements from international students, they dont say a specific grade they want.

UCLA on the other hand wants A grade students at GCSE and A-levels but the others dont state much.

How will they calculate my grades to GPA or do l send them my grades thats about it?

One more thing, when l read in all University websites requirements from international students, they dont say a specific grade they want.

UCLA on the other hand wants A grade students at GCSE and A-levels but the others dont state much.

How will they calculate my grades to GPA or do l send them my grades thats about it?

The latter (highlighted). Applications are assessed holistically.

I definitely recommend you aim higher, especially since you're an international student.
Original post by Student403
I definitely recommend you aim higher, especially since you're an international student.

I thought they use this table to convert GCSE grades to American grades because in england to get a C is a high percentage than America.

The table l saw was a C in England would be a B in America👁
Original post by Hydeman
The latter (highlighted). Applications are assessed holistically.

I knew that l was just wondering why they are not ptting specific grades wanted from international students.
I knew that l was just wondering why they are not ptting specific grades wanted from international students.

Because they consider the whole application - unlike UK universities, outstanding extracurriculars and SATs can make up for lower grades. Plus, they know they're going to get dozens of different qualifications from international applicants, and there's no easy way to compare them.
I thought they use this table to convert GCSE grades to American grades because in england to get a C is a high percentage than America.

That table you saw is BS lol. There is no conversion

Was this on the Fulbright Commission's website? :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
Was this on the Fulbright Commission's website? :tongue:

Yeah it was😭😭

So C's are not exceptable in America then.

l really want to sit both SAT/ ACT exams😭
So C's are not exceptable in America then.
They are acceptable, but not if you are aiming at one of the big name universities. Internationals are held to a higher standard because you are competing against each other - usually only the top students will consider applying internationally, mostly due to chances at scholarships/having strong financial support from family.
l really want to sit both SAT/ ACT exams😭
You'll be wasting your time and money.
One more thing, when l read in all University websites requirements from international students, they dont say a specific grade they want.UCLA on the other hand wants A grade students at GCSE and A-levels but the others dont state much.
If they don't say it, they will be easier to get into. The next question you will face is whether going there will be worth it, especially if you are interested in microbiology.
It really depends on the grades the.chantele has.I will say this though - UCLA has one of the better life sciences programs geared towards medical aspects of all the UCals.
They are acceptable, but not if you are aiming at one of the big name universities. Internationals are held to a higher standard because you are competing against each other - usually only the top students will consider applying internationally, mostly due to chances at scholarships/having strong financial support from family.You'll be wasting your time and money.If they don't say it, they will be easier to get into. The next question you will face is whether going there will be worth it, especially if you are interested in microbiology.It really depends on the grades the.chantele has.I will say this though - UCLA has one of the better life sciences programs geared towards medical aspects of all the UCals.

I messages LMU and they said hey use the concordance table to determine GCSE scores. A C would be a B in the 4.0 scale. But if you got 5 C's you've got 3.0 GPA
If they don't say it, they will be easier to get into.

Not at all.

Many elites don't give international requirements but they are definitely harder to get in to than UCLA
Not at all.

Many elites don't give international requirements but they are definitely harder to get in to than UCLA

I guess it's more of a case by case basis, as it always is with admissions.

I messages LMU and they said hey use the concordance table to determine GCSE scores. A C would be a B in the 4.0 scale. But if you got 5 C's you've got 3.0 GPA

Are you referring to Loyola Marymount?
I guess it's more of a case by case basis, as it always is with admissions.

Are you referring to Loyola Marymount?

Yeah Loyola Marymount is my 4th university choice is it good?
Yeah Loyola Marymount is my 4th university choice is it good?

I stayed at LMU a long time ago for a summer camp. It's a nice campus - not very large, and easy to get around. Also near LAX, so taxi prices for internationals will be cheap.

It's a good school, but is primarily known for the arts/liberal studies, not sciences. IIRC they don't offer a pure microbiology degree (it;s either Biology or Biochem, with some courses in microbiology). It really depends on what you are interested in doing after your undergraduate studies as well.
I stayed at LMU a long time ago for a summer camp. It's a nice campus - not very large, and easy to get around. Also near LAX, so taxi prices for internationals will be cheap.

It's a good school, but is primarily known for the arts/liberal studies, not sciences. IIRC they don't offer a pure microbiology degree (it;s either Biology or Biochem, with some courses in microbiology). It really depends on what you are interested in doing after your undergraduate studies as well.

To be honest im looking for somewhere cheap and l emailed them and they did tell me they do a biology major (which is fine by me, as long as l do some microbiology).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending