The Student Room Group

OCR A 2016 Chemistry A* A-Level Resources

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure really, F325 is usually quite consistent but they could always make it really hard.
I initially thought that this year being the last year of the spec they'd make it quite hard but logistically it would be a nightmare if they had lots of candidates wanting to resit because of tough papers. So I think OCR will make all papers relatively standard with maybe one or two being quite tough to separate the A* candidates. That way not many will be looking to resit and they can draw the line under the old spec and leave it.
Original post by UnknownAnon
Both A2 physics and F325 of chem. Do you have any tips for physics? Need an A to meet my offer this year :frown: (got a C in it last year)

This is the weird thing. I knew Newtonian world inside and out, all past papers were done and definitions/experiments were known. Yet I flunked it and got a C. For FPF I knew all the topics and how to answer each question but I wasn't confident on everything and I was kicking myself before going into the exam hall that I hadn't done more and ended up with an A. It's like 70/100 for an A and there's only about 8-9 marks between the A and A* so if you have a solid go at it you can pick up a ton of ums on the paper.

I'd suggest doing all past papers and whenever you come to something you don't know whether it's a definition, standard answer or calculation, don't look at the markscheme. Struggle with it and research/youtube the topic until you know the answer. You'll learn it so much faster and understand it deeper than you would have from just looking at the mark scheme.

Make a list of all past papers an put an asterisk against a paper or specific question that really ****ed with you. Then once they're all done look at other exam boards and legacy papers and target the topics you're weaker at or pick out only the hard questions. Near to the real exam do the most recent past paper in exam conditions and go over the asterisk papers/questions to give you confidence.

And finally when you're sat in the exam don't panic at a disgusting question. Relax and tell yourself you know how to answer it, you've seen it dozens of times already and hopefully a solution will pop into your head. (Definitions and standard answers are easy gifted marks, know them inside out). Big post or what.
Original post by thad33
This is the weird thing. I knew Newtonian world inside and out, all past papers were done and definitions/experiments were known. Yet I flunked it and got a C. For FPF I knew all the topics and how to answer each question but I wasn't confident on everything and I was kicking myself before going into the exam hall that I hadn't done more and ended up with an A. It's like 70/100 for an A and there's only about 8-9 marks between the A and A* so if you have a solid go at it you can pick up a ton of ums on the paper.

I'd suggest doing all past papers and whenever you come to something you don't know whether it's a definition, standard answer or calculation, don't look at the markscheme. Struggle with it and research/youtube the topic until you know the answer. You'll learn it so much faster and understand it deeper than you would have from just looking at the mark scheme.

Make a list of all past papers an put an asterisk against a paper or specific question that really ****ed with you. Then once they're all done look at other exam boards and legacy papers and target the topics you're weaker at or pick out only the hard questions. Near to the real exam do the most recent past paper in exam conditions and go over the asterisk papers/questions to give you confidence.

And finally when you're sat in the exam don't panic at a disgusting question. Relax and tell yourself you know how to answer it, you've seen it dozens of times already and hopefully a solution will pop into your head. (Definitions and standard answers are easy gifted marks, know them inside out). Big post or what.

Thanks! That has actually got to be one of the most helpful advice I've gotten. Are you retaking G484? I got a C in it as well. The grade boundaries were crazy close. I was like 5/6 marks from an A. How many past papers did you end up doing? (Apart from the current OCR ones)
Original post by UnknownAnon
Thanks! That has actually got to be one of the most helpful advice I've gotten. Are you retaking G484? I got a C in it as well. The grade boundaries were crazy close. I was like 5/6 marks from an A. How many past papers did you end up doing? (Apart from the current OCR ones)

Yes I'm retaking G484, I retook G481 yesterday as well just in case I messed up Newtonian world again. I only needed about 12ums increase between the two papers.
Yeah the grades were stupidly close. All it takes is one question to throw you off and you've lost a whole grade.
I done all of the NW papers and some tougher OCR material questions and about 3 FPF papers? I laughed when I saw the results, honest. I didn't look at other exam boards or legacy papers last year but I will be this time. F325 I've been looking at AQA and legacy as well.
Does anybody have any tips for proton NMR?
I'm struggling with it :frown:
Can someone please tell me how to calculate the enthalpy change of combustion and the enthalpy change of formation when given a table? I always get confused from which calculation of enthalpies do I need to take away the sum of products from the sum of the reactants!!!!
Original post by seph_muriel
Can someone please tell me how to calculate the enthalpy change of combustion and the enthalpy change of formation when given a table? I always get confused from which calculation of enthalpies do I need to take away the sum of products from the sum of the reactants!!!!

Enthalpy of combustion is reactants - products

Enthalpy of reaction from formation data is products - reactants

Enthalpy of reaction from Bond enthalpy data is reactants - products

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
Enthalpy of combustion is reactants - products

Enthalpy of reaction from formation data is products - reactants

Enthalpy of reaction from Bond enthalpy data is reactants - products

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer to draw the Hess Cycle personally. Better to understand what you're doing so you don't need to remember these rules. Just my advice :P
Original post by phdparker
Does anybody have any tips for proton NMR?
I'm struggling with it :frown:

Ye, there's like 5 things you look for every time. Just do a million examples from physics and maths tutor, the proton NMR section and you'll be golden. Post a question here if you can't solve it and I or someone else will be happy to help.
Reply 369
Original post by ForgottenApple
Ye, there's like 5 things you look for every time. Just do a million examples from physics and maths tutor, the proton NMR section and you'll be golden. Post a question here if you can't solve it and I or someone else will be happy to help.

hey also really struggling with nmr! just cant seem to get better..:frown: what 5 things do we need to look for? also what examples from physics and maths tutor, https://496a684af17e03aa0a7c6602d8e92ff1b6a7c75d.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYRFRpLXZydnpTczA/Notes-with-Questions-Knockhardy-Science/NMR.pdf this one? any other tips? thankk u!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have a copy of the unit 2 definitions? Also, what's with 'London' appearing randomly in sentences?
Original post by Biffalo_
Does anyone have a copy of the unit 2 definitions? Also, what's with 'London' appearing randomly in sentences?

They now call induced dipole-dipole forces, London forces. We have to use that term in the new spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiwifruit99
They now call induced dipole-dipole forces, London forces. We have to use that term in the new spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea london forces is the new term :biggrin:
Not after the city though apparently.
How do you remember the rust equations? I always seem to forget them :/
Is it good to do legacy past papers? I am aiming for an A in OCR chemistry A
Does anyone have copies of the new Sample Assessment Materials for Chemistry by OCR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 376
guys theres an exam q 4b(ii) of unit 4 jan 2012, it asks "suggest how well these four compounds would be separated using alkane stationary phase, in your answers include indication of retention times"
the stationary phase is a liquid alkane and the compounds are; 2 esters, an alkane and an alcohol.
im confused dont really understand the question? help pls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
Original post by ForgottenApple
yea london forces is the new term :biggrin:
Not after the city though apparently.

pls tips on how to become good at nmr?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
pls tips on how to become good at nmr?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same as how to become good at anything my friend; practice.
Topics not covered in breadth paper:

Intermolecular bonding, pV = nRT, Mechanisms for electrophilic and nucleophilic, Spectroscopy, % yield, Boltzman, Polymerisation, Practical methods, Ozone, Bond enthalpy, Disproportionation, Markownikoff

Quick Reply

Latest