The Student Room Group

computing/ networking

what a levels are recommended for computing ? .... i hate maths
Computer Science or Computing A-Level I suppose would give you a good grounding (I'm taking it and hate it so woo), I suppose ICT wouldn't go amiss either.
Original post by algerianstar23
what a levels are recommended for computing ? .... i hate maths

If you hate maths you might not like Computer Science/Computing... :/ A lot of Computer Science has maths in it, especially if you want to study it at university.
Is this a good MIX?

Economics
Maths
Computing

I am doing GCSE's and i am currently getting A*s and A's in maths and computing.. My Coursework for computing atm is A and A
Reply 4
Original post by K.H.A.N™
Is this a good MIX?

Economics
Maths
Computing

I am doing GCSE's and i am currently getting A*s and A's in maths and computing.. My Coursework for computing atm is A and A

Some unis like imperial likes to see you have taken a science
Original post by Someboady
If you hate maths you might not like Computer Science/Computing... :/ A lot of Computer Science has maths in it, especially if you want to study it at university.

im not bad at maths, its just certains topics which i despises like vectors , differentiation and stuff like graphs .... but i like algebra , also i wanted to computer system networking in uni not computer science
Is this a good MIX?

Economics
Maths
Computing

well obviously , thats great , you have nothing to worry about
Original post by Rajive

just my opinion , but taking a level science is not needed as its very hard and in depth , which means that it will be useless to you later in uni or life , better stick to maths
What sucks is, a lot of unis don't recognise computer science as a real science yet... I took it alongside Biology instead of Chemistry cause I didn't know what I wanted to do yet so I wanted a wide spread of A-levels, but then I thought Medicine would be good and so any unis that want multiple sciences won't accept computing but will accept other sciences that aren't directly related to medicine (such as Geography)
Original post by bonney12
What sucks is, a lot of unis don't recognise computer science as a real science yet... I took it alongside Biology instead of Chemistry cause I didn't know what I wanted to do yet so I wanted a wide spread of A-levels, but then I thought Medicine would be good and so any unis that want multiple sciences won't accept computing but will accept other sciences that aren't directly related to medicine (such as Geography)

you can deffo do computing course in most unis , medicine is already extremely competitive , so unis will find a way to reject some how
you can deffo do computing course in most unis , medicine is already extremely competitive , so unis will find a way to reject some how

Oh definitely, I know that computing is an option with computing science - but with other subjects it just gets harder and with an exam board that likes to ask questions unrelated to your spec it just gets better and better xD
the best ones would be Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing

Spoiler

Original post by Rajive

yeah, i am not bad at sciences, i only get A's and B's and i find it really boring
well obviously , thats great , you have nothing to worry about

basically i wanna do economics at uni so is economics, maths, computing good? anything u would like to add?
yeah, i am not bad at sciences, i only get A's and B's and i find it really boring

To be honest, you should not take a science if you find it boring. I find Biology SO interesting and am likely going to fail this exam because of how in depth the required knowledge is and how twisted the questions are. For example, you learn about water potential and you get asked about fish urine... and you don't touch upon neither fish nor urine in the course :P I get that it's about applying your knowledge but it is honestly really difficult. I wouldn't suggest it unless you can dedicate yourself to it, because A-Level sciences are a HUGE step up
Original post by bonney12
To be honest, you should not take a science if you find it boring. I find Biology SO interesting and am likely going to fail this exam because of how in depth the required knowledge is and how twisted the questions are. For example, you learn about water potential and you get asked about fish urine... and you don't touch upon neither fish nor urine in the course :P I get that it's about applying your knowledge but it is honestly really difficult. I wouldn't suggest it unless you can dedicate yourself to it, because A-Level sciences are a HUGE step up

Yeah ik, i am going to be sticking with what i think i will pass with the best grades and what i like.

Like Economics, I am in year 11 and i have studied like 2/3 of the First year in college of the course (if that makes scene) this is because i enjoy it a lot, i love how the British economy works and ect, Also my father owns his own college so he is helping me aswell as my mum whom is the head of maths at Manchester Grammar so yeah :smile: Cant wait for college... What subjects do u do?
Btw is there any GCSE resources you have that i could use? i am soo lost in B456 xD i find P456 easy because its pretty much applied Maths and C456 is just simple, just B456 is HARD AFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Yeah ik, i am going to be sticking with what i think i will pass with the best grades and what i like.

Like Economics, I am in year 11 and i have studied like 2/3 of the First year in college of the course (if that makes scene) this is because i enjoy it a lot, i love how the British economy works and ect, Also my father owns his own college so he is helping me aswell as my mum whom is the head of maths at Manchester Grammar so yeah :smile: Cant wait for college... What subjects do u do?
Btw is there any GCSE resources you have that i could use? i am soo lost in B456 xD i find P456 easy because its pretty much applied Maths and C456 is just simple, just B456 is HARD AFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Yeah I get what you mean - always important to enjoy the subjects you take, because that's what'll keep you going when you come to revise!

It's cool that you like economics. I personally find it relatively interesting but I don't think I could do it for a university course, I dunno why... not interested ENOUGH I guess :P

I do Biology, French, Computer Science and the Welsh Bac at AS level at the moment. Just had one Bio exam and that made me lose all want to revise for the next two, it's an exciting life! :P

Hmm, GCSE resources... S-Cool (as immature as the name sounds) is actually a really good site for GCSE resources. If you have generic questions about Bio/Chem/Phys I can help you out with them based on my AQA knowledge of it if that's any help, I also did triple science and got A*A*A* in them - though they're nothing like A-Level where I'm probably looking at a B or a C with the way that my first exam went... though everyone's reaction seemed to be the same to the exam.

Other resources I would just suggest watching YouTube videos if that's helpful to you at all and make notes while you do so. Most of my GCSE revision involved writing out lists of notes I wanted to repeat and remembering them that way!
Original post by surina16
the best ones would be Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing

Spoiler

loooooooooooooool maths and further maths physics, that going over the top , not needed okay maths is good and necessary , but physics .................... come on mate
loooooooooooooool maths and further maths physics, that going over the top , not needed okay maths is good and necessary , but physics .................... come on mate

Cambridge:

A Level: A*A*A
IB: 40-41 points, with 776 at Higher Level
For other qualifications, see our main Entrance requirements pages.
Course requirements
No prior knowledge of programming is required.
Computer Science
Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics
Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics; A Level/IB Higher Level Computing, a second or three science/mathematics subjects
Computer Science with Mathematics
Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics, STEP Mathematics
Required by some Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, A Level/IB Higher Level Physics, A Level/IB Higher Level in a second or three science/mathematics subjects

Not chatting sh*t here. Even if it's not a 'requirement' as such, many applicants will still have it and so you could be at a disadvantage.
Original post by surina16
Cambridge:

Not chatting sh*t here. Even if it's not a 'requirement' as such, many applicants will still have it and so you could be at a disadvantage.

thank you for supplying me with that information , but im not really interested in going to Cambridge (even though its amazing), plus if you can read the title im interested in going to a specific course in computing which is networking , as its has better employability rate , and is way more interesting than computer science (in my opinion)

GCSE/Standard Grade

General information on subjects/grades required for entry:5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade A* to C are required, to include English and Mathematics.

GCE A Level

BBB Typical offer

General information on subjects/grades required for entry:BBB

Information:General Studies/Critical Thinking accepted

BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF) (Suite known as nationals)

General information on subjects/grades required for entry:biggrin:istinction Distinction Distinction in a Computing related subject.

Required grades:Grade Distinction and grade Distinction and grade Distinction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending