The Student Room Group

Bosses can ban headscarves and crucifixes, EU judge says

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You said:

"as long as it doesn't interfere with their performance at the job people can wear whatever they want imo"

Did you mean people should be allowed to wear whatever they want only if they are religious?

Isn't this about religious gear :s-smilie: either way it would deter the customers wouldn't it? so it affects the performance of the company if their employers are in speedos and flipflops...
Reply 21
Original post by Kryptonian
Is this a reason to leave the EU? I don't understand.

I think people should be allowed though as long as it's not affecting anybody else or their job!

I just posted it to see what people thought.

Regarding the referendum I think it depends upon the person whether this is to stay or leave but you shouldn't base your decision on this.
Original post by Tempest II
Hmmmm.
I'm no fan of religion at all but this seems a little draconian. Is wearing a headscarf or crucifix really going to affect how they do their job?

it's about how people receiving the service provided view the person providing the service (think Relationship counselling for 2 men faced with a women wearing a cross of with Jesus on it and a t-shirt saying 'jesus-saves'!)
Reply 23
Original post by DiddyDec
If it doesn't effect your work then why does it matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does tho cos I imagine the customers would be uncomfortable wouldn't they?
Original post by z33
Isn't this about religious gear :s-smilie: either way it would deter the customers wouldn't it? so it affects the performance of the company if their employers are in speedos and flipflops...

How do you know a man in speedos would deter the customers anymore than a woman wearing a cross? It might increase customers... the point is it should be up to the business to decide whats good for it.
Original post by poundsoffat
stupid let people wear what they want, their performance is what's important, that's why you hired them in the first place right?

I take it you have yet to experience the workplace
You have clearly never worked in a professional position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by BaconandSauce
I take it you have yet to experience the workplace

the same answer see my post above in response to diddy
Original post by z33
It does tho cos I imagine the customers would be uncomfortable wouldn't they?

And religious clothing and icons doesn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
well done EU

perfectly reasonable for businesses to have a bit more independence
Reply 29
And religious clothing and icons doesn't?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would it?
How do you know a man in speedos would deter the customers anymore than a woman wearing a cross? It might increase customers... the point is it should be up to the business to decide whats good for it.
okkkkkkkkkkkkk whatever their business their rules who am I to say anything I'm outta here bai :getmecoat:
Original post by z33
Why would it?

Not everyone is comfortable with religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I approve of this ruling.
it's about how people receiving the service provided view the person providing the service (think Relationship counselling for 2 men faced with a women wearing a cross of with Jesus on it and a t-shirt saying 'jesus-saves'!)

I can understand your POV but it seems to come down to the "right to be offended" (which I don't think is a right at all) in the case you've given. I do think the line is blurred however so I can understand perhaps why the ruling had been made as at least it provides come clarity. Hopefully most employers will work off of a "common sense" policy - if it doesn't directly affect your performance then you should be able to wear it.
oh one of these
Should an employer not be able to tell Steve not to turn up to his checkout job at Asda in just his speedo's and flip flops again?

missing the point mate- i think what the guy is trying to say is that they are restricting our liberties.
doesnt help individualism or expression
people should be able to wear what they want as long as it isnt inappropriate
I do feel the need to point out that loose clothing and jewellery can be banned in many workplaces on health and safety grounds - e.g. if there is machinery.

This isn't to say that I would support this law being used in an office, but there are clear circumstances under which these items would not be appropriate for work. Where you draw that line is a subject for debate.
Original post by Tempest II
I can understand your POV but it seems to come down to the "right to be offended" (which I don't think is a right at all) in the case you've given. I do think the line is blurred however so I can understand perhaps why the ruling had been made as at least it provides come clarity. Hopefully most employers will work off of a "common sense" policy - if it doesn't directly affect your performance then you should be able to wear it.

Have to disagree I see it more as showing neutrality in the work place.

But the 'if it doesn't directly affect your performance then you should be able to wear it.' without sounding rude is a very childish attitude when applied to the work place where conformity is expected usually driven by the perceptions of a few (and we do conform as we desire to be paid so while being a natural Jeans and t-shirts person I wear a suit everyday to work as it is expected of me and whist I could stick to my principles and not wear a suit there are others who will.

So while I have bills pay, a car to run, a house to pay for and a life to live the jeans are on the floor for when needed and the Suit is tidy and my shirt is pressed.

Do you think this line of thinking should be extended to skin colour?

What if someone doesn't want counselling from a negro?
You can practice your religion without pesky garments. Can't you? This really is religious freedom though, because other religions are free to be offended at your religion. So now no one can really over-represent their religion. And I think that's fine, you can still practice. They're not making it legal to burn these things, just proposing making it illegal to wear. Big deal.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Do you think this line of thinking should be extended to skin colour?

What if someone doesn't want counselling from a negro?

Why would it? how are the 2 comparable?

then sod them there are characteristics we cannot change how we choose to advertise our individual politic or ideas are our personal choices and in the aim of neutrality I can see no issue with the restrictions.

But to compare a persons skin colour with a the choice of what to wear is asinine to say the least and shows a remarkable amount of desperation in the argument (to be expected as it looks like this argument has been decided)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending