The Student Room Group

Switching from Mech Eng to Chem Eng

So im at UoB, almost finished first year of mech eng and i hate the course, i want to switch to chem eng but the issue is i didnt do chemistry at A level, i did Maths, Physics and Business Studies but i got straight A's in them so do you think not having chemistry A level be an issue or nah?
it obviously will be an issue if the last time you did chemistry was at GCSE and you want to now study elements of it at degree-level. however, a course like aeronautical, electrical, or civil engineering could certainly be doable, i reckon
Reply 2
Some chemical engineering courses don't ask for chemistry at A-level provided you've done maths and physics, so check if Birmingham actually has it for the entry requirements.

Alternatively, there is the option of a foundation year for Chem eng at Birmingham (which I'm currently on so if you've any questions feel free to pm me).
Reply 3
Original post by goodwinning
Some chemical engineering courses don't ask for chemistry at A-level provided you've done maths and physics, so check if Birmingham actually has it for the entry requirements.

Alternatively, there is the option of a foundation year for Chem eng at Birmingham (which I'm currently on so if you've any questions feel free to pm me).

yeh UoB have it as a requirement but ive been told that they do have leverage on it but im not too sure, i'll probably have to ask admissions.

Regarding foundation year its probably a waste of time and money for me because i already have A in maths and physics a levels, i could just take a gap year and do chemistry a level in a gap year instead but i really dont want to as i have already wasted this year.
But what if you don't end up liking ChemEng?
Reply 5
Original post by JustDynamite
But what if you don't end up liking ChemEng?

Na theres plenty of girls there to keep me going, not so much in mech eng as the girls there are pretty much guys.
Original post by saeed9741
Na theres plenty of girls there to keep me going, not so much in mech eng as the girls there are pretty much guys.

loool the best reason to change course :smile:

Lol if you wanted a course with girls in it why did you pick MechEng in the first place?
Reply 8
Lol if you wanted a course with girls in it why did you pick MechEng in the first place?

because while the girls are important, one must not lower himself to a joke degree just for the sake of them, i could easily have done psychology, sociology, business related course etc... but then i would be doing a disservice to my intelligence.
because while the girls are important, one must not lower himself to a joke degree just for the sake of them, i could easily have done psychology, sociology, business related course etc... but then i would be doing a disservice to my intelligence.

Ah I see, but do a lot of girls generally pick ChemEng?

lol no, compared to other engineering degrees maybe
Reply 11

yes lol, we had a shared module with them this year and the vast majority of girls there where from chem eng and not mech/civil
Reply 12
Original post by Daniel9998
lol no, compared to other engineering degrees maybe

the gender disparity between mech/civil and chem eng was huge lol.
yes lol, we had a shared module with them this year and the vast majority of girls there where from chem eng and not mech/civil

Interesting, maybe ask if there is some way to prove that you have enough chemistry knowledge to switch to the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending