The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Commuting to KCL (problem)

Hopefully I plan to go to KCL in 2016 or 2017 and because I intend to commute, I was wondering, if anyone knows if their are lockers at the libraries, strand etc which would spare me from lugging my stuff around London for the whole day.
I went to KCL (dropped out this year) and I commuted using the northern line. To answer your question: no. There are no lockers for students on the Strand campus.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by orphan_black
I went to KCL (dropped out this year) and I commuted using the northern line. To answer your question: no. There are no lockers for students on the Strand campus.

Thanks for the reply mate, I guess it will be be same at Waterloo?? Also quick question if you would mind answering is whats commuting to KCL like since I would be coming from a similar area. Thanks in advance.
Original post by thatapanydude
Thanks for the reply mate, I guess it will be be same at Waterloo?? Also quick question if you would mind answering is whats commuting to KCL like since I would be coming from a similar area. Thanks in advance.

Yeah probably! And honestly? It was horrible. Not the actual commute itself but the fact that I felt soooo left out from events (main reason I left). It's difficult going to socials and even committing to a society making it harder to befriend people. I would really try to get accommodation if you can. I was offered it later on but declined because I thought the social aspect would improve but it doesn't. It was really alienating for me :/ Sorry if this was depressing hahah good luck!
Okay so...this is complete nonsense!

I go to KCL too and I commute using the Piccadilly line... It takes me ~1.5 hours every day. Regarding

1) Making friends - on my course, we have a group of around 10 of us that are really close friends and we all (bar one) commute (we don't go on the same line but we use the same station). Our journeys all vary - some of my friends commute for 20 minutes whilst others are for 2 hours! On my course I would say about 30% are commuters so its not hard to make friends with other commuters and find ways to have fun together given that you all have a travel restriction.

2) The Maughan library (about 10 min walk from Strand) has lockers! You give £10 (I think..) deposit in the beginning of the year and they give you one. It's slightly larger than standard school locker size - will fit lots of textbooks, a Mac laptop and a bag if you want..

Good luck with your A levels!
Original post by fl0werp0wer

I go to KCL too and I commute using the Piccadilly line... It takes me ~1.5 hours every day. Regarding

1) Making friends - on my course, we have a group of around 10 of us that are really close friends and we all (bar one) commute (we don't go on the same line but we use the same station). Our journeys all vary - some of my friends commute for 20 minutes whilst others are for 2 hours! On my course I would say about 30% are commuters so its not hard to make friends with other commuters and find ways to have fun together given that you all have a travel restriction.

2) The Maughan library (about 10 min walk from Strand) has lockers! You give £10 (I think..) deposit in the beginning of the year and they give you one. It's slightly larger than standard school locker size - will fit lots of textbooks, a Mac laptop and a bag if you want..

I had no idea about the Maughan lockers haha! Would've made my time a lot easier :tongue:

Thanks for the reply, That is great news and will save me a lot of hassle.
I had no idea about the Maughan lockers haha! Would've made my time a lot easier :tongue:

Really sad to hear you didn't enjoy your experience here :'(

I've just finished my first year and its been amazing...

Where do you go now?
Yeah probably! And honestly? It was horrible. Not the actual commute itself but the fact that I felt soooo left out from events (main reason I left). It's difficult going to socials and even committing to a society making it harder to befriend people. I would really try to get accommodation if you can. I was offered it later on but declined because I thought the social aspect would improve but it doesn't. It was really alienating for me :/ Sorry if this was depressing hahah good luck!

These are some of the reasons I turned down my KCL offer. Sorry you had a rough time but, don't take this the wrong way, it's made me feel a little better about my decision.
Really sad to hear you didn't enjoy your experience here :'(

I've just finished my first year and its been amazing...

Where do you go now?

Off to Newcastle starting this September! Happy you've enjoyed Kings, I wish I had too!
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
These are some of the reasons I turned down my KCL offer. Sorry you had a rough time but, don't take this the wrong way, it's made me feel a little better about my decision.

No worries Haha :smile: where are you off to?
Original post by Pulse.
Tedious but doable, admittedly however I don't attend all my classes because sometimes it's too much.

Orphan_black is right though, will leave you isolated and unable often to go to socials and activities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That really depends on your personality. I knew many people who commuted into London and had a great social life. But they were very outgoing and quickly made friends who would let them stay overnight somewhere more central after nights out etc.

As mentioned above, it is incorrect to say there are no lockers, there are lockers in the library - a bit of a trek from Waterloo by foot but still only about 5 minutes on the bus, and 5 minutes walk from Strand. Waterloo bridge, which connects Strand and Waterloo, where KCL's two main non-medical campuses are. is one of London's main hubs for bus routes, so it's usually possible to get to some very far out neighbourhoods by no more than 2 buses. Night buses are extremely frequent and increasing their number of routes all the time, plus later on this year there will be the night Tube as well. So really there's no excuse for not being able to go to late night socials, unless you live outside the M25.
No worries Haha :smile: where are you off to?

Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest