The Student Room Group

Gap year then reapplying to target unis

So I'm in my last year of sixth form and I have firmed Birmingham university for chemical engineering A*AA. I want to know your opinions on taking a gap year and doing part-time work and getting experience in finance sector for a year then reapplying to target universities for economics provided I get A*A*A or above. The main reason I want to do this is the fact that after my degree I would like to have a career in the finance sector specifically investment banking and I think my chances of getting internship offers would be made a lot easier if I went to a target uni and with a degree that is more related to finance. Is it worth the year out then reapplying or would an engineering degree from a non target uni still give a fighting chance to land a job in investment banking?
Original post by 12amadaeus
So I'm in my last year of sixth form and I have firmed Birmingham university for chemical engineering A*AA. I want to know your opinions on taking a gap year and doing part-time work and getting experience in finance sector for a year then reapplying to target universities for economics provided I get A*A*A or above. The main reason I want to do this is the fact that after my degree I would like to have a career in the finance sector specifically investment banking and I think my chances of getting internship offers would be made a lot easier if I went to a target uni and with a degree that is more related to finance. Is it worth the year out then reapplying or would an engineering degree from a non target uni still give a fighting chance to land a job in investment banking?

it really depends whether you actually want to do chemical engineering or not, if you want to do a finance related degree then I would say deffo take a gap year and reapply. But if you have the passion for chem eng then dont bother reapplying, you can still get into IB from Birmingham.

( ill also be doing chem eng ! :smile: )

Degree subject doesn't matter much, but seriously, your question is pretty vague. Can a non-target studying engineering get a gig in fo ib? Yeah. Can a non-target with zero work experience, little charisma or drive, zero leadership experience, poor grades (yours aren't, they're fantastic actually - just trying to make a point), no enthusiasm or interest in the industry, no idea of where in the bank they'd like to work, zero networking contacts get in? Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. The chances of getting into Ib without being at a target uni is very low even if the uni is great for chemical engineering. But I understand what you are saying, haven't had much experience with finance as my a levels are maths, physics and chemistry so the gap year would be a leap of faith into a field that might not even like . And what uni did you apply to
Thanks for the reply. The chances of getting into Ib without being at a target uni is very low even if the uni is great for chemical engineering. But I understand what you are saying, haven't had much experience with finance as my a levels are maths, physics and chemistry so the gap year would be a leap of faith into a field that might not even like . And what uni did you apply to

Manchester, Bath, Notts etc are all great for Chem Eng and have pretty decent representation in FO IB. Although, I personally wouldn't bother reapplying - Birmingham isn't bad enough for you to have to resort to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending