The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by bat_man
do you mean like shallow and deep earthquakes, and all the wave types? P&S, Raleigh&Love. Bc i dont think theyll do a 40 marker on that.

Tbh I don't know what I mean about nature myself either lol. And oh no I was talking about a 10 marker
For structured questions on tectonics, could they do an 8/10 marker on the structure of the Earth? If so, core mantle and crust, convection currents and sea floor spreading ... Anything else?
Original post by badboyblonde69
when they ask for planned and unplanned species could that include animals? or would they specify? also how many do we need to know for each? I had oxford ragwort for planned because i thought they introduced it for its aesthetic appeal :/

Yeah you could do planned animals, such as the grey squirrel. The Oxford ragwort was initially brought to the UK from the volcanoes of Sicily and placed in Oxford Botanic garden in the 1700's (planned) however, when it escaped it 1720, it became an unplanned introduction.

Negatives of it:
Skin burning sap toxins associated with liver failure in horses
Aesthetically unsightly
It spread to the rest of the U.K. as a result of the introduction of railways connecting to Oxford in 1800's
It is not removed by the council, so private land owners have to get rid of it (economic negative)
Damages Tarmac - increases levels of erosion where ground is exposed in the winter
Not sure if this will help anyone, but have spent the last 2 days condensing notes from my past year, the Geography textbook and the smaller revision guide into a set of flashcards!Only on Tectonics at the moment, working on doing Globalization & Conflict over the next day or two.Please feel free to tell me if I've missed something, or not gone into enough detail. (Shouldn't be the case.)

https://www.scribd.com/doc/314466318/Tectonic-revision-flashcards

Apologies about formatting, I can send via word if you inbox me your email address!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 142701
You're not required to have a case study for tsunamis but it's always good to have one. Yeah for earthquakes you need 2 from contrasting areas of the world

Thanks!
If you're doing tectonics for your 40 marker, what do you need to know for it? Is it just the theory of plate tectonics and then 2 case studies for each vulcanicity and seismicity? or is there more to it? thanks
Reply 446
What case studies are you guys using for the management of fragile environments (ecosystems 10 marker)
Original post by PEAK4U
What case studies are you guys using for the management of fragile environments (ecosystems 10 marker)

Dulwich upperwood and central amazon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 448
What would you include if there were to be an 8/10 marker on the structure of the earth?
Reply 449
Original post by SJJ97
What would you include if there were to be an 8/10 marker on the structure of the earth?

Talk about the different layers, the depths and composition, and perhaps how seismic waves can tell us about the structure of the earth
Whats the difference between natural hazards and human hazards in regards to seismic/volcanic events?
Original post by badboyblonde69
If you're doing tectonics for your 40 marker, what do you need to know for it? Is it just the theory of plate tectonics and then 2 case studies for each vulcanicity and seismicity? or is there more to it? thanks

There are little facts here and there you could include like the examples of landforms formed from constructive and destructive boundaries
Also evidence of plate tectonics theory which are case studies as well
Original post by reecewxxd
Whats the difference between natural hazards and human hazards in regards to seismic/volcanic events?

A human hazard cannot exist if there are no humans to be impacted on.
Natural hazard can affect the physical environment but not necessarily impact humans.
But they are essentially the same as hazards which affect the physical environment have the potential to be a danger and so affect humans due to land use - is there any need to distinguish between them?
Original post by tcameron
There are little facts here and there you could include like the examples of landforms formed from constructive and destructive boundaries
Also evidence of plate tectonics theory which are case studies as well

oh ok cheers, what case studies would you use for the theory of plate tectonics?
Original post by tcameron
A human hazard cannot exist if there are no humans to be impacted on.
Natural hazard can affect the physical environment but not necessarily impact humans.
But they are essentially the same as hazards which affect the physical environment have the potential to be a danger and so affect humans due to land use - is there any need to distinguish between them?

could you provide an example for both human and natural hazard? thank you
Reply 455
What has been said about world cities 40 markers? Decentralisation of retailing or sustainablitiy?
Original post by SJJ97
What has been said about world cities 40 markers? Decentralisation of retailing or sustainablitiy?

Looks like it! However, I have a weird feeling that suburbanization could come up for a 40 marker... idk why
Reply 457
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
Looks like it! However, I have a weird feeling that suburbanization could come up for a 40 marker... idk why

What would the question look like?
Original post by SJJ97
What would the question look like?

I'm not sure, I did one a while back and it was a example question. It was something like "Using case studies, What are the causes of suburbanization" or something, I think there was more to it, but I did it in December...
Reply 459
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
I'm not sure, I did one a while back and it was a example question. It was something like "Using case studies, What are the causes of suburbanization" or something, I think there was more to it, but I did it in December...

Jesus that would be so hard...!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending