Biology - C
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
I'm applying for Dentistry
Reply 1
Original post by feybox
these are my GCSE grades

I have moved your post to the Dentistry forum. But also, what is your actual question? And what A-levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by feybox
these are my GCSE grades
Maths - C
English Lang. - A
English Lit. - B
French - A
Geography - B
Economics - A
Business Studies - B
Further Additional Science - B
Biology - C
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

If you're asking if these are good enough for Queen Mary, I assume, then I'd mainly be concerned about the maths grade. Most universities want a B in maths anyway - furthermore, I'm assuming you'll need to do three sciences and maths to do dentistry - two of which you have Cs in, when it isn't recommended that you take an A Level in a subject unless you get a B. It may be worth considering resitting some exams externally or thinking about alternative options
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
I have moved your post to the Dentistry forum. But also, what is your actual question? And what A-levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I wanted to know if they were ok because I was thinking of resitting my Maths GCSE if it was an issue and I take Biology, Chemistry and Geography
Original post by elizahughes
If you're asking if these are good enough for Queen Mary, I assume, then I'd mainly be concerned about the maths grade. Most universities want a B in maths anyway - furthermore, I'm assuming you'll need to do three sciences and maths to do dentistry - two of which you have Cs in, when it isn't recommended that you take an A Level in a subject unless you get a B. It may be worth considering resitting some exams externally or thinking about alternative options

Actually you don't need to do 3 sciences (mostly Bio and Chem) and you don't need to do Maths. :smile:
Reply 5

Yes, I thought I may have to resit Maths. In the prospectus, it says 'AAABBB or above, to include chemistry, English language and mathematics'. Does that mean I need a higher grade in Maths. By the way, I take Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A-level.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Actually you don't need to do 3 sciences (mostly Bio and Chem) and you don't need to do Maths. :smile:

I did say I wasn't sure, I thought it might be two but the person did get a C in biology so my point still stands :smile: and many unis look for a B in English and Maths anyway, it just makes you look better on paper so worth considering whatever you're going into really
Reply 7
Original post by Mrs.Grey

That may be true for A-Level. But OP is asking about their GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by feybox
Yes, I thought I may have to resit Maths. In the prospectus, it says 'AAABBB or above, to include chemistry, English language and mathematics'. Does that mean I need a higher grade in Maths. By the way, I take Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A-level.

Yeah you will have to retake maths by the sounds of it, if you want to go to a really good uni - you could consider a gap year to sort this out and maybe Biology if you feel like you need it, although if you do well in biology at A Level I'm sure that will show your ability and improvement :smile:

I'm doing a gap year and wanted to retake a few GCSEs just to boost my application a bit in my spare time, but I'm worried we might have to do the new type in which they're graded a number from 1-9 instead of normal grading so this might be quite complicated to look into (my sister is doing GCSEs and she's pretty sure she's the last year), but I'd say it's worth considering if you'll get a better degree and career out of it in the long run!
Reply 9
Yeah you will have to retake maths by the sounds of it, if you want to go to a really good uni - you could consider a gap year to sort this out and maybe Biology if you feel like you need it, although if you do well in biology at A Level I'm sure that will show your ability and improvement :smile:

I'm doing a gap year and wanted to retake a few GCSEs just to boost my application a bit in my spare time, but I'm worried we might have to do the new type in which they're graded a number from 1-9 instead of normal grading so this might be quite complicated to look into (my sister is doing GCSEs and she's pretty sure she's the last year), but I'd say it's worth considering if you'll get a better degree and career out of it in the long run!

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 10
Original post by feybox
these are my GCSE grades
Maths - C
English Lang. - A
English Lit. - B
French - A
Geography - B
Economics - A
Business Studies - B
Further Additional Science - B
Biology - C
Chemistry - B
Physics - B

I suggest you ask Queen Mary directly. Particularly if you need to resit Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
I suggest you ask Queen Mary directly. Particularly if you need to resit Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest