The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or College?

Poll

Sixth Form or College?

I want to do Psychology, Bio, Chem and English Lit. What should I go for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs.Grey
I want to do Psychology, Bio, Chem and English Lit. What should I go for?

Sixth form :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by nisha.sri
Sixth form :biggrin:

Haha thanks :biggrin: but I feel so confused. There's a sixth form that's so local and they teach alright but the people are just a nono like I'll most likely will have to travel far smfh.
Haha thanks :biggrin: but I feel so confused. There's a sixth form that's so local and they teach alright but the people are just a nono like I'll most likely will have to travel far smfh.

Go for the best one :smile:
Reply 4
Go for the best one :smile:

Idek what the best one is love. I'll just have to endlessly pray so Inshallah Allah will give me an answer.
A-levels in a college is probably not a good idea
Depends if you can be independent and can avoid distractions - which is extremely hard when you're 16-18 so I would go for sixth form
Reply 7
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
A-levels in a college is probably not a good idea

How come? Most likely the age difference?

In college most people do btec or other and it can feel a bit lonely, also the teachers won't have much experience teaching a levels beacuse colleges only recently started offering a levels. like my biology teacher has been teaching A levels for decades
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
In college most people do btec or other and it can feel a bit lonely, also the teachers won't have much experience teaching a levels beacuse colleges only recently started offering a levels. like my biology teacher has been teaching A levels since it was first introduced

Hmm ok so what about a sixth form college?
Depends - I go to a sixth form college and the main reason people drop out is because they think it's too big and there's too many people so they get overwhelmed and go back to their smaller sixth forms.

So it depends if you like a small place or a big place I suppose. Don't know about colleges tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really independent which is why i'm not choosing a college. I went to a college just to see what if was like for a day. Honestly I didn't get good vibes from the college but it might be different for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Idek what the best one is love. I'll just have to endlessly pray so Inshallah Allah will give me an answer.

True. Are you Muslim and is that your god ? I hope the best for you :smile:
Also are you planning to study medicine :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by nomophobia
Depends - I go to a sixth form college and the main reason people drop out is because they think it's too big and there's too many people so they get overwhelmed and go back to their smaller sixth forms.

So it depends if you like a small place or a big place I suppose. Don't know about colleges tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only have sixth form colleges and colleges around me smfh
Reply 14
True. Are you Muslim and is that your god ? I hope the best for you :smile:
Also are you planning to study medicine :smile:

I am Muslim and that is my God :smile: Thank you so much, I am but people are telling me that Bio and Chem is hard and I'm getting B's rn, I'm yr 10. Plus, Science is my only B, the rest are A's and A*'s seems like such an obvious sign that I should do science so my other side would be to do History, Psychology, English Lit and Politics. People say I should be a lawyer BUT I NEED HELP MAN
Reply 15
Original post by nomophobia

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your opinion on a sixth form college and a sixth form that links to a secondary school? My school doesn't have a sixth form which means I will be joining somewhere else as an external
I am Muslim and that is my God :smile: Thank you so much, I am but people are telling me that Bio and Chem is hard and I'm getting B's rn, I'm yr 10. Plus, Science is my only B, the rest are A's and A*'s seems like such an obvious sign that I should do science so my other side would be to do History, Psychology, English Lit and Politics. People say I should be a lawyer BUT I NEED HELP MAN

Do NOT do sciences at A-Level if you're struggling at GCSE level - you will die and regret it so bad - choose subjects you're good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rajive
What's your opinion on a sixth form college and a sixth form that links to a secondary school? My school doesn't have a sixth form which means I will be joining somewhere else as an external

Personally, I much prefer the sixth form college because it is much bigger than a sixth form attached to a secondary school and I'm one of those people who thrives in that kind of environment - there are over 3000 students at my sixth form and we are the smallest college - the size means there's waaaaayyyyy more opportunities and things going on that there wouldn't be at a sixth form - so things like trips, clubs etc

HOWEVER like I already said, many people drop because they get overwhelmed by the sheer number of people so I suggest you try and suss out which one you prefer.

However, I found the whole making friends thing probably to be as much of an issue at the sixth form college as it would be at a sixth form ie at a sixth form, friend groups will have stayed so it will be difficult to make friends but at a sixth form college,friend groups will simply have moved and so it will be equally hard to make friends. I'm not sure about your friend situation but when I moved, only 1 friend came with me and I desperately wanted to make new friends, the kind that I could hang out with every day and really clicked with - that only happened to me around January time after MUCH jumping around between various friend groups.

I'm sorry I might have rambled a bit, I know I talk too much, I just wanted you to know the details because no one ever told me them when I was moving - but I have to say, I have never regretted even for a second, moving for sixth form despite it being so hard to make new friends and muscle into groups who have essentially known each other for 5 years already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
This helped me out tbh but could you tell me how different A levels? Like what things would you tell your past self if you could about A levels and sixth form college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry hats the difference between a sixth form and a college I've always thought they were the same thing

Quick Reply

Latest