The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Maths Competition Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Why did you do them early? Did your whole maths class do this or only you? Also, do you like in the UK?

Yeah I'm doing C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2, FP1, S1, S2 (all with AQA)
Original post by Maths465Man
Yeah I'm doing C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2, FP1, S1, S2 (all with AQA)

Are you a genius mathematician? I have never heard of someone taking all modules three years early.
Reply 62
yz(y2+z2)/2 therefore x2(y2+z2)+y2(x2+z2)+z2(x2+y2)2/3yz \leq (y^2+z^2)/2\ therefore\ x^2(y^2+z^2) + y^2(x^2+z^2) + z^2(x^2+y^2) \leq 2/3
2(x2y2+x2z2+y2z2)=(x2+y2+z2)2(x4+y4+z4)2(x^2y^2 +x^2z^2 + y^2z^2) = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^2-(x^4+y^4+z^4)
x4+y4+z41/3x^4+y^4+z^4 \geq 1/3 which is true by C-S. Sorry missed a lot of steps out. Took too long to type :smile:
Are you a genius mathematician? I have never heard of someone taking all modules three years early.

Definitely not. I only had one GCSE this year so I thought that I should do as many modules as possible.
Reply 64
Why did you do them early? Did your whole maths class do this or only you? Also, do you like in the UK?

For the bants but also cos I can do 5 subjects
Original post by 11234
yz(y2+z2)/2 therefore x2(y2+z2)+y2(x2+z2)+z2(x2+y2)2/3yz \leq (y^2+z^2)/2\ therefore\ x^2(y^2+z^2) + y^2(x^2+z^2) + z^2(x^2+y^2) \leq 2/3
2(x2y2+x2z2+y2z2)=(x2+y2+z2)2(x4+y4+z4)2(x^2y^2 +x^2z^2 + y^2z^2) = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^2-(x^4+y^4+z^4)
x4+y4+z41/3x^4+y^4+z^4 \geq 1/3 which is true by C-S. Sorry missed a lot of steps out. Took too long to type :smile:

My way uses AM-GM inequality so I'll have to take a picture of it as I can't type it
Definitely not. I only had one GCSE this year so I thought that I should do as many modules as possible.

I beg to differ. Even if you had zero GCSE's completed this year, doing all AS and A2 modules in year ten is exceptional. I think that's very cool. I did M1 in year ten but just about managed. Doing all of the modules would have been insane.
Reply 67
I beg to differ. Even if you had zero GCSE's completed this year, doing all AS and A2 modules in year ten is exceptional. I think that's very cool. I did M1 in year ten but just about managed. Doing all of the modules would have been insane.

True but allow him he probably works really hard

I had to do some A-Level modules because I've done my GCSE and I thought I may as well try and learn as much maths as possible. From now on though, I'm focusing more on competition maths than A-Level stuff as it's more interesting.
No I'm in Year 10

Me too - I do A2 maths and AS Further maths, but I'm not doing A-Level maths in 1 year (I did AS last year), I'm glad there's other people, because I'd started to get a bit worried that doing it early would affect my uni application (all the other applicants will have an a level on the new spec, and I'll be on the old spec...) I haven't looked at IMO or BMO2, I've only briefly looked over BMO1, but I really want to start looking at it properly, and ideally I'd like to be good/very good at IMO questions by the end of next year. Do you have any suggestions about resources/things to do to improve at that kind of questions??
Original post by vectorpi
Me too - I do A2 maths and AS Further maths, but I'm not doing A-Level maths in 1 year (I did AS last year), I'm glad there's other people, because I'd started to get a bit worried that doing it early would affect my uni application (all the other applicants will have an a level on the new spec, and I'll be on the old spec...) I haven't looked at IMO or BMO2, I've only briefly looked over BMO1, but I really want to start looking at it properly, and ideally I'd like to be good/very good at IMO questions by the end of next year. Do you have any suggestions about resources/things to do to improve at that kind of questions??

AoPS website
Original post by 11234
True but allow him he probably works really hard

Yes I am quite aware of that hence my astonishment. I am not insulting him so 'allow him' is quite irrelevant.
I had to do some A-Level modules because I've done my GCSE and I thought I may as well try and learn as much maths as possible. From now on though, I'm focusing more on competition maths than A-Level stuff as it's more interesting.

I see. I had a look at an IMO website and it stayed that only Indian students could participate. Is this true?
BMO1 2002:2003.jpg

Here is my solution to the problem. Feel free to ask questions.
I see. I had a look at an IMO website and it stayed that only Indian students could participate. Is this true?

You'd have to ask Renzhi

@Renzhi10122

You'd have to ask Renzhi

@Renzhi10122

Most definitely not. Go on 'the' IMO website, not the indian version for it. Basically, you have to be a citizen in the country you want to represent, or have studied for 3 years there. The indian one was for indian students, hence why they say that.
Reply 76

Thats the Indian maths olymiad theres also an international maths olympiad
Reply 77
BMO1 2002:2003.jpg

Here is my solution to the problem. Feel free to ask questions.

Fair enough got any more you wanna work on
Original post by 11234
Fair enough got any more you wanna work on

I got a nice solution to this question earlier.

ABCD is a rectangle, P is the midpoint of AB, and Q is the point on PD such that CQ is perpendicular to PD. Prove that triangle BQC is isosceles.
AoPS website

Thanks, I'll check it out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending