The Student Room Group

I don't know where to turn. Help me, please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duncan2012
Your age (now and when you left school) and nationality are irrelevant, although I would have thought you'd understand by now that copying is wrong. Apparently not.

Your college isn't responsible for your situation, you are. The unnecessarily over-dramatic thread title and the content of your posts show you have completely failed to grasp the situation. You have set yourself an ambitious target - do you aspire to become a lawyer?

Well, dear Duncan, I will copy and paste the same answer I gave to the latest person who commented on this thread:
'Where is the dislike bottom?
Read my thread right from the beginning before making your unfounded comment. I am sure you learned in class to get all your fact right and to think twice before speaking!
I rest my case!'
Original post by Michelle-Annie
Where is the dislike bottom?
Read my thread right from the beginning before making your unfounded comment. I am sure you learned in class to get all your fact right and to think twice before speaking!
I rest my case!

I have, and I found it quite unbelievable that you have only just learnt what constitutes as plagiarism. Stop trying to hold your college accountable for your lack of understanding of legal process. On that note, please don't become a lawyer:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, dear Duncan, I will copy and paste the same answer I gave to the latest person who commented on this thread:
'Where is the dislike bottom?
I rest my case!'

I don't know, where is the dislike bottom?

You obviously have no clue. If you somehow one day make it through a law degree please come back and let us know.
I want to thanks everyone for their comments and advice.

I believe it is time to go back to my revision since my child is now sleeping. It is evident that as the night is drawing down, I will attract trolls and silly commentators. I rather prefer to end this thread now than wasting my time repeating myself to people who makes unfounded comments and criticisms before reading the entire content of this thread. So much for being educated?! :-D

I will get back to you, after the final exams, with the outcome of this matter. Let's just clarify one fact, once and for all: I am not making an appeal.

Thank you and good luck everyone.

xxx Celine

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464805101.330606.jpg Oh look, 'unfounded', much like your basis for appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to thanks everyone for their comments and advice. I believe it is time to go back to my revision since my child is now sleeping. It is evident that as the night is drawing down, I will attract trolls and silly commentators. I rather prefer to end this thread now than wasting my time repeating myself to people who makes unfounded comments and criticisms before reading the entire content of this thread. I will get back to you, after the final exams, with the outcome of this matter. Let's just clarify one fact, once and for all: I am not making an appeal.Thank you and good luck everyone. xxx Celine

"the night is drawing down"? I don't mean to be rude or anything but this made me chuckle.. it's just gone 7pm! hahah :wink:
Also just wanted to say that I sympathise with your situation but agree that you have no grounds on which to appeal. I'd strongly endorse your decision not to appeal
Original post by grace143
"the night is drawing down"? I don't mean to be rude or anything but this made me chuckle.. it's just gone 7pm! hahah :wink:
Also just wanted to say that I sympathise with your situation but agree that you have no grounds on which to appeal. I'd strongly endorse your decision not to appeal

I am glad you appreciate my sense of humour! It is night already in my place. It is called: blacking out blind. To simulate night to a three-year-old :biggrin:
Good night :smile:
Original post by Roquebrune2014
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464805101.330606.jpg Oh look, 'unfounded', much like your basis for appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Passing the ball: 16-year-old and not 16 year old!)
Please do find someone else to annoy since you think you are SO PERFECT!
I am not flawless, and I admit it. However, who are you to say I can not achieve my Degree In Law? Lets my friends, my family and my teachers be the judge of that. Not a stranger!
Thank god, I will have more compassion than you should I become a family legal advisor or solicitor. More sympathy than someone like you, who used a spelling mistake as is defence. Are you a language bully by any chance?
(Passing the ball: 16-year-old and not 16 year old!)
Please do find someone else to annoy since you think you are SO PERFECT!
I am not flawless, and I admit it. However, who are you to say I can not achieve my Degree In Law? Lets my friends, my family and my teachers be the judge of that. Not a stranger!
Thank god, I will have more compassion than you should I become a family legal advisor or solicitor. More sympathy than someone like you, who used a spelling mistake as is defence. Are you a language bully by any chance?

Well you clearly won't admit you're not flawless as you've felt the need to hold your college accountable for your lack of understanding of plagiarism. I'm not using a spelling mistake as my defence,this entire thread is my defence: you've tried and failed to pass the blame for breaking clear rules that 15 and 16 year olds have no issue following. The only party in this scenario I hold empathy with is your college and the poor people at AQA who have had to take the time to explain to a 45 year old that copying other people's work and passing it off as your own constitutes as malpractice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Michelle-Annie;65353323"]I haven't been completely honest with my first post. I felt ashamed :ashamed2:
I did my first GCSE English Language's Controlled Assessment, and it was marked by my college. However, AQA sent a report for plagiarism back to my college, and I lost all my marks. :cry2:

I had never heard of plagiarism until last Monday. I had never written an essay about a book before. I assumed that retrieving information from books, websites and others published works was acceptable as long as I did not provide an essay of 1200 words that entirely belong to one author. Therefore, I did hours, weeks of research. I selected what I wanted from a dozen of sources and amalgamated it together. I reworked my essay seven times and learned 1200 words by heart. :cry:
I was marked 23/30. Unsatisfied, I asked to have my essay moderated. I was shocked at not getting more marks after all the hours of research and hard work putting everything together and learning my lines. After moderation, I was allocated one more mark. No question was ever asked.

I left school at 13. I never sat a GCSE final exam! I self-taught myself grammar, punctuation and vocabulary. I am an addict of crosswords. I did my ESOL Basic to Higher Intermediate in 1992-1993. No essay writing was involved. I am working to achieve an overall A. I did get an A for all my other Controlled Assessment (17/20, 17/20, 18/20, and 43/45). All were entirely my work.

We never signed a declaration of authenticity before, during, or after sitting our current assessments. We only signed our student notes. Four weeks ago, we signed much paperwork, and I remember signing a form for all our Controlled Assessments. I didn't see anything about adding my sources, etc. I assumed it was all right, because if asked, I had by folder with all my research. Then, a few days later AQA called a few of our class' Controlled Assessments, mine included. I was excited about it: 'maybe my marks would increase for my OMAM Controlled Assessment'.

I don't understand why Plagiarism was not discussed in class, Why we were not asked to sign a statement per each controlled assessments. After all, we are given a letter of regulation before our final exam. My college says that they can not support me:

'With regard to the plagiarism in your GCSE English Language controlled assessment, it was AQA that raised this matter with the College. As requested a copy of the report from AQA is available for you to collect at College reception. We wish to support you through the rest of your studies, however, there is very little we can do with regards to a matter of plagiarism. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) regulations clearly stipulate that the following are not grounds for appeal :

the individual did not intend to cheat;
the individual has an unblemished academic record;
the individual could lose a university place;
the individual regrets his/her actions.

From the information I have received your justification falls within these criteria and therefore there are no grounds for appeal. AQA only accept appeals direct from the Head of Centre therefore contacting them directly will not assist you. The cover sheet which all students are asked to sign clearly asks candidates to ‘list any books, leaflets or other materials used to complete the work not acknowledged in the work itself. Presenting materials copied from other sources without acknowledgement is regarded as deliberate deception.’

I believe, they are washing their hands of their responsibility for failing to inform me about plagiarism. I did not know I was cheating, and not, 'I did not intent to cheat'.

I have asked other students if they recall signing a cover sheet where sources, etc. could be noted. None remembers.

I don't know where to turn. I am sick to my gut. I left the college never to return last Tuesday. I was going to drop out. My fellow students asked me not to give up. I sat the first part of my GCSE Higher Maths final exam, last Thursday, on the brink of tears. I have been unable to sleep for nine days. I feel betrayed. I had a look at the college student handbook, and there seem to be no Students Union.

The only person I could contact was the Quality Manager, who wrote the letter I copied above and concluded it with this:'I understand from the curriculum team that you are still able to succeed on the course and can assure you that there will be no record of the plagiarism on your student record with AQA, therefore would urge you to continue with your studies and move on from this matter.'

Any advice, please, anyone. Please do not judge me. I worked hard on my own to be where I am.

Michelle-Annie

The best you can do is try and move on from this. As the college has told you, the cover sheet states that work which does not belong to you must be acknowledged. I don't teach English but I do know that the forms which students sign do outline the bit about plagiarism - you may have missed it when you read it.
However, I am a little confused as to why the person at the college who marked your work did not spot the plagiarism? Or did not ask you about any sources you had used, why there weren't any references etc.
Thank you.
My essay was seen by my teacher in September and October 2015. I have an email exchange where I am saying that I am using internet sources, which I am not only copying but doing vocabulary and spelling research on. At no point was I informed it constituted plagiarism. None of my references were in quote marks.
Then, my controlled assessment was marked in by another teacher in October- November 2015. Not mention was made about plagiarism. I asked for my Controlled Assessment to be moderated in December 2015. My marks were increased by another teacher in April 2016. Yet, again no mention of plagiarism.
Finally, end of April beginning of May 2016, my controlled assessments were called in by AQA. I was excited about it because I believed I did some great search for Of Mice And Men controlled assessment. I had all my research in a folder.
Only when AQA sent their report to my college was the plagiarism mentioned, resulting in my marks being lost (from 24/30 to 0/30).
I am not appealing for my marks to be reinstated. I am appealing for my college to take some responsibilities for what happened. And to prevent it from happening in the future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you. My essay was seen by my teacher in September and October 2015. I have an email exchange where I am saying that I am using internet souces which I am not only copying but doing vocabulary and spelling research on. At no point was I then informed it constitute plagiarism. None of my references were in quote marks.

Then, my controlled assessment was marked in by another teacher in October- November 2015. The mention was made about plagiarism. I asked for my Controlled assessment to be moderated in December 2015. My marks were increased in April 2016. Yet, again no mention of plagiarism.

Finally, end of April beginning of May 2016, my controlled assessments were called in by AQA. I was excited about it because I believed I did some excellent search for Of Mice And Men controlled assessment and I had all my search in a folder. Only, then after was the plagiarism mentioned when AqA sent their report to my college resulting into my marks being lost from 24/30 to 0/30.

I am not appealing for my marks to be reinstated. I am appealing for my college to take some responsibilities for what happened.

HOW HAVE YOU MADE IT TO AGE 45 WITHOUT REALISING WHAT PLAGIARISM IS!?!? Your college has no reason to accept responsibility; YOU should be aware that your actions constitute as malpractice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go away! Find someone else to annoy. Troll!

The saddest part about this is that it is not a troll!! You cannot expect to be able to shift responsibility like that, you are an adult,so act like one! Take responsibility for your own actions. You didn't realise what constituted as plagiarism, so tough sh*t you learnt the hard way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go away! Find someone else to annoy. Troll!

Honesty there is no point to this thread any more. Any advice you wanted was given to in the first few quite sympathetic comments. Also Roqubrune2014 does have a very valid point which is probably very similar to what your college will think. I dont think they are being annoying, they are just trying to show you the view point of an exam board and a college who have taught 1000s of students who understand the basic principle of copying someone else's work=bad. Your age also doesn't really help you in the situation because even if you had left school at 13, you would have been told that you can't copy someone else's work in a test.
Good luck in your next few exams and your eventual Law degree
Original post by Banana208
Honesty there is no point to this thread any more. Any advice you wanted was given to in the first few quite sympathetic comments. Also Roqubrune2014 does have a very valid point which is probably very similar to what your college will think. I dont think they are being annoying, they are just trying to show you the view point of an exam board and a college who have taught 1000s of students who understand the basic principle of copying someone else's work=bad. Your age also doesn't really help you in the situation because even if you had left school at 13, you would have been told that you can't copy someone else's work in a test.
Good luck in your next few exams and your eventual Law degree

Thank goodness someone else understands!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank goodness someone else understands!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ended this thread an hour ago, but a language bully had to add his snake tongue into it.

I am a highly qualified horticulturist and have been so for over twenty-four years. I am not an academic. The trees, plants and lawn did not require me to know about plagiarism. I am changing my career. Therefore, I am learning.

College and teachers do have responsibilities to prevent and inform their students about plagiarism. Grow up and Educate yourself:

AQA recommends incorporating an awareness-raising session on academic honesty in the induction process for new students.http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/malpractice/plagiarism-in-examinations
Section 13.

I rest my case!

Good night.
(edited 7 years ago)
Now, I have reported you for harassment. 'This person is harassing me by constantly commenting on all my replies to other subscribers. He is not letting other people putting their opinions across. He is trying to influence others opinions. He is forcing his opinion. I have already asked him to stop annoying me three times in less than an hour but he is not abiding. Please, can you ask him to stop, now.'

Do what you want but it's not harassment. I am in no way stopping other people putting their opinions across. (which by the way is a strange point because no one else is really commenting). Me publishing my point of view as a comment is no different to the previous commenters: in no way have I attempted to influence others. I am not forcing my opinion, you asked for sympathy, I've said you don't deserve any if you are 45 and don't know what plagiarism is. Also, you've incorrectly assumed my sex, *she

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHABANA

However, I am a little confused as to why the person at the college who marked your work did not spot the plagiarism? Or did not ask you about any sources you had used, why there weren't any references etc.

I did make this point earlier on. I would have made a special attempt to explain about plagiarism. On marking the papers it must have seemed odd to have no references at all? That should have raised alarm bells for the teacher as they also have to make declarations of their own about believing it is the pupils own work.
HOW HAVE YOU MADE IT TO AGE 45 WITHOUT REALISING WHAT PLAGIARISM IS!?!? Your college has no reason to accept responsibility; YOU should be aware that your actions constitute as malpractice.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's a bit unfair. If she left school at 13, then that would be before the age and time when plagiarism was less of an issue. Straight copying yes.

She has accepted the mark (has no choice), but she can make a complaint to the college about the lack of advice or instruction on referencing and plagiarism. I would expect their reply to be yes its your fault you signed the form, should have asked and then ask the teacher why she didnt do anything. If its a widespread practice then both the staff and pupils could do with instryction to avoid such situations in the future. I dont think from what the OP wrote it was deliberate and thats more or less what AQA and the college have agreed with by giving such a low sanction.

It would be a result for everyone if nobody in future was unaware of the risk of plagiarism. I dont think the college will accept responsibiliy. She cna still make an attempt to get her concerns heard though.

I think I only got my first advice on it when at Uni, alhough I was using biblios and references at A level.
Original post by 999tigger
I think it's a bit unfair. If she left school at 13, then that would be before the age and time when plagiarism was less of an issue. Straight copying yes.

She has accepted the mark (has no choice), but she can make a complaint to the college about the lack of advice or instruction on referencing and plagiarism. I would expect their reply to be yes its your fault you signed the form, should have asked and then ask the teacher why she didnt do anything. If its a widespread practice then both the staff and pupils could do with instryction to avoid such situations in the future. I dont think from what the OP wrote it was deliberate and thats more or less what AQA and the college have agreed with by giving such a low sanction.

It would be a result for everyone if nobody in future was unaware of the risk of plagiarism. I dont think the college will accept responsibiliy. She cna still make an attempt to get her concerns heard though.

I think I only got my first advice on it when at Uni, alhough I was using biblios and references at A level.

Tbf she should know better than to copy other people's work, regardless of whether she knew what it meant or not, the task must've specified that you need to make a unique response, which in her case, wouldn't be formed.
Original post by 1jonam16
Tbf she should know better than to copy other people's work, regardless of whether she knew what it meant or not, the task must've specified that you need to make a unique response, which in her case, wouldn't be formed.

Bits of this have been pointed out, but its hard to say unless you look at whats been done or read the examiners report.

Quick Reply

Latest