The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryandaniels2015
Thanks the question was JUNE07 Q5, just want to know when u actually need to split components

Did you see the two pictures I drew because that was me trying to explain it. You need to split a force into its components when it is acting at an angle.

So in the ring question you don't split the weight because the weight is not acting at an angle. However you split the sting tension as it is acting at an angle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flowerspace
Did you see the two pictures I drew because that was me trying to explain it. You need to split a force into its components when it is acting at an angle.

So in the ring question you don't split the weight because the weight is not acting at an angle. However you split the sting tension as it is acting at an angle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right thanks, so object on slope split, and force at angle split? Thanks
Original post by kkboyk
Same! I can never seem to get my head around it :cry2: The questions on M1 are worded in a confusing manner compared to M2 and above.

Well the other day I realised that if it is due north then the two i components have to be the same. Due east and the two j components have to be the same.
I literally just realised that yesterday lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh right thanks, so object on slope split, and force at angle split? Thanks

Yeah that's right :smile:
Sorry I'm so bad at explaining things in a clear way haha
Hopefully you can do that question now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's right :smile:
Sorry I'm so bad at explaining things in a clear way haha
Hopefully you can do that question now

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you've been great, thanks for the help!
No you've been great, thanks for the help!

Yay! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well the other day I realised that if it is due north then the two i components have to be the same. Due east and the two j components have to be the same.
I literally just realised that yesterday lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now that I think about it, it does make sense if you picture an object moving north/east :eek: I really hate how the book does not go into further details (+_+).

The worst thing for me is that I have FP2 and M2 at the same time, so will have to spend 3hrs doing both.
Original post by kkboyk
Now that I think about it, it does make sense if you picture an object moving north/east :eek: I really hate how the book does not go into further details (+_+).

The worst thing for me is that I have FP2 and M2 at the same time, so will have to spend 3hrs doing both.

Yeah I'm glad I realised it
I'm not doing further maths this year, I did it last year and got
FP1 A
M1 C
D2 D
And ended up with a C
I'm resitting M1 though because in normal maths I got a C in D1 and decision is so boring and mechanics makes more sense to me. Also I was doing better in mechanics but in the exam I freaked out
Good luck with yours
Tbh I wish I was doing further maths instead of chemistry....

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Zacken or anyone else, can you help me with this question?

"An aeroplane flies from airport A to airport B 80 km away on a bearing of 070∘. From B the aeroplane flies to airport C, 60 km from B. Airport C is 90 km from A. Find the two possible directions for the course set by the aeroplane on the second stage of its journey."
Yeah I'm glad I realised it
I'm not doing further maths this year, I did it last year and got
FP1 A
M1 C
D2 D
And ended up with a C
I'm resitting M1 though because in normal maths I got a C in D1 and decision is so boring and mechanics makes more sense to me. Also I was doing better in mechanics but in the exam I freaked out
Good luck with yours
Tbh I wish I was doing further maths instead of chemistry....

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the same grade as me (did very badly in D1). Almost every mechanics paper seem to surprise me, so I get a bit worried before the exam day.

Good luck to you too :tongue:

Are you doing OCR chemistry? I dropped chemistry after the first week on AS and I am so glad :colondollar:
Original post by kkboyk
That's the same grade as me (did very badly in D1). Almost every mechanics paper seem to surprise me, so I get a bit worried before the exam day.

Good luck to you too :tongue:

Are you doing OCR chemistry? I dropped chemistry after the first week on AS and I am so glad :colondollar:

I'm doing Aqa chemistry
I got a B last year but this year I'm finding it so hard it's not my thing at all.
My other subject is physics which I love

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Pedro K.
@Zacken or anyone else, can you help me with this question?

"An aeroplane flies from airport A to airport B 80 km away on a bearing of 070∘. From B the aeroplane flies to airport C, 60 km from B. Airport C is 90 km from A. Find the two possible directions for the course set by the aeroplane on the second stage of its journey."

Draw it out the two possible ways so one where C is to the left and one where C is to the right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Draw it out the two possible ways so one where C is to the left and one where C is to the right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it that C can only be to the left or right? Why can't it be in between? I know that probably sounds really stupid but xD
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Why is it that C can only be to the left or right? Why can't it be in between? I know that probably sounds really stupid but xD

I have no idea i didnt think of that lol
Maybe between would be the same as to the left of B? I might try this question

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea i didnt think of that lol
Maybe between would be the same as to the left of B? I might try this question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe as it's 60km C can't be past A but I'm not sure
Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe as it's 60km C can't be past A but I'm not sure
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that makes sense actually! That's probably why ^_^ Let me know what answers you get if you try it!
I'm doing Aqa chemistry
I got a B last year but this year I'm finding it so hard it's not my thing at all.
My other subject is physics which I love

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I chose Biology instead, and now I despise it at A2. (+_+)

Everyone doing A2 Chemistry are forced to do the Chemistry Olympiad at my school, so most people dropped it.
I'm so screwed for M1 😓 my past paper marks fluctuate so much; goes from 100-73-94-69 % :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
I'm so screwed for M1 😓 my past paper marks fluctuate so much; goes from 100-73-94-69 % :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but whenever I do badly in a paper all the confidence I had gained from doing well in others just disappears

I'm panicking that I won't get an A in maths now :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending