The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

I know there is not a lot people that do Edexcel Psychology (A2) but if there is, you can get help and support from here :biggrin:

You can share notes, advice, model answers etc :smile:

Feel free to ask for help

How is evveryone revising for Unit 3 and Unit 4? I'm mainly worried about unit 4 :frown: I can't get my head around it and write 18 markers for the Issues and Debates section :frown: Any suggestion on what to do??

@chickenfoot
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any predications anyone?
Reply 2
Has anyone got like a checklist of everything we need to know for unit 3 and 4?
Original post by FemaleBo55
Any predications anyone?

The 18 marker last year for Unit 4 was nature nurture so that will only be worth a few marks, my teacher thinks ethnocentrism is really likely as it's the only debate that hasn't come up, and there's likely to be an option of contributions essay or explanations of behaviours drawing on AS material (like gender).. i.e. compare explanations of behaviour from X approach and compare it with others

Original post by FemaleBo55
I know there is not a lot people that do Edexcel Psychology (A2) but if there is, you can get help and support from here :biggrin:

You can share notes, advice, model answers etc :smile:

Feel free to ask for help

How is evveryone revising for Unit 3 and Unit 4? I'm mainly worried about unit 4 :frown: I can't get my head around it and write 18 markers for the Issues and Debates section :frown: Any suggestion on what to do??

@chickenfoot

I'm kinda the opposite, I find clinical really simple and easy to get marks on, and issues and debates is good because you just draw on everything you've done. The debates are fine and contributions to society are pretty much just what we did for key issues at AS and then treatments from Clinical

18 markers are still 12 marks for content, so make sure you have 6 marks of AO1 and AO2 for the remaining 3 debates, and enough points for the explanations of behaviour essay I said above which would be less marks per component as it's more broad

It's less than 2 weeks until Unit 3 and I still haven't revised properly :frown: I'm going to read through my revision posters, then try to recall the points on a whiteboard and try again in 20 mins or so and give each topic a score on how well I remember it so I know wgat to go back to.. I know there will be a lot of cramming in the last few days
Reply 4
18 markers scare me quite a lot but my teacher was really really helpful with them so this is what we've been told to do!

Think of the 18 marker as 4 3 mark questions, or, if appropriate 6 2 mark questions! So for example, take the 18 marker from June 2012 (the first one):

Describe at least three ethical guidelines that researchers should follow when conducting psychological research using human pps. Assess the ethical issues of 2 or more studies using human pps that you have learned about during your course.

For the 18 markers there are 6m A01, 6A02 and 6 for writing well (paragraphs, SPAG etc)

So I'm gonna plan mine like this really quickly at the start:

A01 - informed consent: telling the pps what the study is about, what the aims are and results expected, might not be possible due to demand characteristics - so can have prior consent/retrospective consent (2 marks), debrief: tell the pps what was expected, especially if not fully informed consent, give them their results, remind them of their RTW, need to leave study in same state that they entered it (2 marks), right to withdraw: need to be made of RTW before study, during the study and after, know there will be no negative comeback if they do withdraw (2 marks)

A02 - Milgram: deceived pps, thought it was study to do with memory and learning, thought there was an equal chance of being picked teacher/learner etc, good that Milgram followed up pps one year later to make sure no negative consequences - shows trying to protect from harm, not a real RTW because of the verbal prompts, may have felt they had to stay because they were being paid (3 marks), Rosenhan: did not get consent from the hospitals, necessary or else there would have been demand characteristics, deceived them - said they would send pseudopatients in the second study but didn't send any - also meant real patients were being sent away and not getting treatment (2 marks), Watson and Rayner: conditioned little Albert to have a fear of rats - was distressing for him, especially as he generalised fear to all white fluffy objects - didn't uncondition him either (1 mark)

Obviously there won't be enough time in the exam to write a plan like this (unless you are really fast at writing!) so I think I'm just going to quickly map out my heading's and how many marks I will write about them for.

Hopefully this has helped! They seem really scary, but when you break them down they are a lot better - I can recommend planning all of the past qus in this way before the exam - you'll go in with a better idea of what to write and it'll help for any of the issues and debates section! x
Reply 5
any predictions for the unit 3 exam?
My teacher (who actually predicted the Interference Theory as the 12 marker last year) believes that unit 3 will focus on Bowlby and thinks there will be a 12 marker on it. His attachment theory, the maternal deprivation hypothesis, the evolutionary basis of attachment, the study 44 juvenile thieves, his and others' research into deprivation (challenging and supporting).

Hope it helps...? I'm shitting myself.
Original post by TheTHFC123
My teacher (who actually predicted the Interference Theory as the 12 marker last year) believes that unit 3 will focus on Bowlby and thinks there will be a 12 marker on it. His attachment theory, the maternal deprivation hypothesis, the evolutionary basis of attachment, the study 44 juvenile thieves, his and others' research into deprivation (challenging and supporting).

Hope it helps...? I'm shitting myself.

ok well that's not a very specific prediction bcos Bowlby's work was into attachment so that also includes strange situation, cross cultural research, privation so basically we're saying anything on the spec could come up. which we already know :lol:
Reply 8
we were told that last year people tended to have appeared to use the mark scheme for revision as a lot of responses were very generic so to be prepared to answer at least one, if not a couple, of novel scenario questions so we can't just recycle old info and actually have to apply it to the specific situation :frown: so so worried, its unreal!
Reply 9
hey guys! do any of you have notes on offender profiling (key issue)? :redface:
Original post by baebae
hey guys! do any of you have notes on offender profiling (key issue)? :redface:

really sorry but I did reliability of EWT - if you look on TSR then there are a couple of people who have posted their notes and they look to be really helpful! sorry I couldn't be much more help!
Reply 11
Original post by 08graya
really sorry but I did reliability of EWT - if you look on TSR then there are a couple of people who have posted their notes and they look to be really helpful! sorry I couldn't be much more help!

aw thank you anyway!! :smile:
Reply 12
I had offender profiling as one of my contributions for cognitive psychology so I hope this helps you out :smile:
Does anyone know where to find any notes on any practicals during AS or A2? I'm really hoping that won't come up as I can't remember anything about them!
Today we had a revision conference at college that lasted 6 hours. Our teacher discussed things that we should be cautious of in the upcoming exams. I understand not all will be relevant to each centre but hopefully this helps some

CRIMINAL PSYCH:
1) definitions: recidivism and EWT
2) Lab/Field experiments
3) Key studies - Particularly Loftus & Palmer
4) Key issue
5) Treatments

HEALTH PSYCH:
1) Key issue
2) Definitions: Tolerance and Withdrawal
3) Design a study
4) Biological explanation
5) Aversion therapy (Non-bio treatment)
6) Key studies
7) Alcohol/Heroin (Mode of action, effects, dependence, withdrawal)

CLINICAL PSYCH:
1) Issues in diagnosis
2) Key issues
3) Explanations of phobias
4) Phobias symptoms/features
5) Key study in SCH
6) Social therapy
7) Systematic desensitisation (heavily concerned)
Reply 14
Original post by LA2543
I had offender profiling as one of my contributions for cognitive psychology so I hope this helps you out :smile:
Does anyone know where to find any notes on any practicals during AS or A2? I'm really hoping that won't come up as I can't remember anything about them!

thanks so much!! :biggrin:
Reply 15
if asked to describe Loftus and Palmer (1974), do we need to describe both experiments?
Reply 16
Original post by baebae
if asked to describe Loftus and Palmer (1974), do we need to describe both experiments?

From what I've been told you only need to know the first experiment in detail and if asked to describe the study. However, it is useful to know a little about the second study when evaluating the first one and showing how significant the effects of leading questions were on witness recall.
Reply 17
Original post by LA2543
From what I've been told you only need to know the first experiment in detail and if asked to describe the study. However, it is useful to know a little about the second study when evaluating the first one and showing how significant the effects of leading questions were on witness recall.

thank you!
Do you think developmental disorders will come up as a 12 marker/bigger question?
The last time it came up as a 12 marker was in 2012
(not that you should rely on predictions, but it's just a thought :laugh:)
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Do you think developmental disorders will come up as a 12 marker/bigger question?
The last time it came up as a 12 marker was in 2012
(not that you should rely on predictions, but it's just a thought :laugh:)

what was the question? what was the evaluation part?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending