The Student Room Group

Anybody else struggle to filter out background noises?

Basically, I ve known I ve had dyspraxia for 11 years and had some sensory problems with it that I now cope with, with no problems for the most part.

But it seems like recently I m getting significantly worse with my noise sensitivity issues ( there's been some demolition during the day the past month and if I hear a tiny bit of it, my concentrations gone out of the window) and was wondering if any could suggest something that might help?
Yes, a lot:s-smilie:

I find focusing on music in my head distracts me momentarily, and normally this is enough for me to concentrate again

Spoiler

Yes :redface:
it makes me ridiculously angry and on edge so i agree with the poster above, music is the only thing that helps tbh :/
I struggle with background noise too. I have quite a bit of difficulty talking to people if there is background noise going on, like music in a shop or classmates nattering. I often have to ask whoever I'm talking to to repeat themselves, which is frustrating for them and embarrassing for me!

I'm not sure of any ways around it, but you're definitely not alone! :hugs:
noise cancelling headphones?
Ear plugs?

These days I'm having to resort to studying with a crying baby, 5 different musical toys, a loud TV and people talking loudly in the background so I'm essentially used to it :smile:
Original post by Vicky628
Yes, a lot:s-smilie:

I find focusing on music in my head distracts me momentarily, and normally this is enough for me to concentrate again

Spoiler

Music is seemingly the only thing that works, I just wish there was some way to train my brain to cope with it like worked with my other sensory problems.

Original post by Anonymous
Yes :redface:
it makes me ridiculously angry and on edge so i agree with the poster above, music is the only thing that helps tbh :/

Yes, I get incredibly angry too and I think sometimes my boyfriend wonders why it's getting to me so much.
Original post by Leviathan1741
I struggle with background noise too. I have quite a bit of difficulty talking to people if there is background noise going on, like music in a shop or classmates nattering. I often have to ask whoever I'm talking to to repeat themselves, which is frustrating for them and embarrassing for me!

I'm not sure of any ways around it, but you're definitely not alone! :hugs:

I have the exact same difficultly, I ve told most people about it in the hope they understand, it does put me off going to cafes and things when they're busy at times.
Original post by hezzlington
noise cancelling headphones?

I have them but it's not a permanent solution as I d rather not kill my hearing whilst wearing them all day :/
Original post by Serine Soul
Ear plugs?

These days I'm having to resort to studying with a crying baby, 5 different musical toys, a loud TV and people talking loudly in the background so I'm essentially used to it :smile:

I ve got earplugs to sleep with and for really bad times, I guess I d like to gain a "normal" persons noise tolerance rather than have to cover it up all the time. How you cope with all that noise I ll never know:tongue:
I just put on headphones and go on http://www.rainymood.com/ after a while you just think that the noise is part of the actual weather lol and it blocks out any noise
I have this. White noise (you can download this online or buy CDs) is meant to help.

Quick Reply

Latest