The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Hi,
I am in year 12 and I think I might want to do medicine at uni but I am not sure. So, I wanted to try it out to see how it will be. But I cant find any work experiences, does anyone have any suggestion or any way I can get a work experience at an hospital during the summer holiday.

Thanks in Advance.
What have you tried so far? Finding work experience can be challenging, especially now it's already this close to the summer. Most hospitals will have someone who coordinates work experience, contact details usually on the hospital website if you have a hunt. Contact all hospitals that you would be ale to get to. Do you have any family or friends in other parts of the country that you could stay with? If so, contact their local hospitals as well. Contact all of your local GP surgeries. You can do this in a variety of ways - probably best to send a letter or an e-mail accompanied by a phonecall. The practice manager is usually the best person to contact. In the letter, explain why you want the work experience, what you hope to gain from it, and generally show some enthusiasm for considering a career in medicine.

Finding work experience can be a long slog, and involve contacting a lot of people with a lot of "no" before you get a positive response. It usually needs organising a fair while in advance, particularly if you want to do it during the more popular times like summer holidays. But keep persevering and don't give up after a few people have dais no.
Original post by junior.doctor
What have you tried so far? Finding work experience can be challenging, especially now it's already this close to the summer. Most hospitals will have someone who coordinates work experience, contact details usually on the hospital website if you have a hunt. Contact all hospitals that you would be ale to get to. Do you have any family or friends in other parts of the country that you could stay with? If so, contact their local hospitals as well. Contact all of your local GP surgeries. You can do this in a variety of ways - probably best to send a letter or an e-mail accompanied by a phonecall. The practice manager is usually the best person to contact. In the letter, explain why you want the work experience, what you hope to gain from it, and generally show some enthusiasm for considering a career in medicine.

Finding work experience can be a long slog, and involve contacting a lot of people with a lot of "no" before you get a positive response. It usually needs organising a fair while in advance, particularly if you want to do it during the more popular times like summer holidays. But keep persevering and don't give up after a few people have dais no.

thanks a lot for the help, will keep trying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending