The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danielle_16
I have a dilemma

Basically I took maths, chemistry, biology and Spanish at A Level, thinking I wanted to go into science at Uni. However I don't, I've always loved art and my one biggest regret is not taking it at A Level. I took it at GCSE and for and A* but stupidly I let my family persuade me not to take it. I am really interested in architecture and I'm currently in Year 12 and sitting my AS Levels. I would really like to apply to Architecture but I don't know where to start, I haven't got Art A Level. Everyone is booking uni open days and I haven't even booked one yet?? I can either retake the year or just do an art foundation year at uni?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated☺️☺️Thanks

Hey, there's no real perfect combination of a level for architecture really lots of people apply without an art a level so don't feel discouraged. They will ask for a portfolio anyway so you can show off your art skills there (: in your personal statement make sure to show off your flare for art to make up for the lack of the a level, hope this has helped (:
Couldn't you just take a year out and use that time to do some work experience and build up a portfolio? You wouldn't necessarily have to retake anything or do a foundation course - just build a case to prove how creative you are and that you can draw....
ANYONE at all going to westminister?! Lol
Original post by nairline
ANYONE at all going to westminister?! Lol

I am!
Original post by Danielle_16
I have a dilemma

Basically I took maths, chemistry, biology and Spanish at A Level, thinking I wanted to go into science at Uni. However I don't, I've always loved art and my one biggest regret is not taking it at A Level. I took it at GCSE and for and A* but stupidly I let my family persuade me not to take it. I am really interested in architecture and I'm currently in Year 12 and sitting my AS Levels. I would really like to apply to Architecture but I don't know where to start, I haven't got Art A Level. Everyone is booking uni open days and I haven't even booked one yet?? I can either retake the year or just do an art foundation year at uni?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated☺️☺️Thanks

You could take an art foundation diploma (note though that these are FE courses and so you won't get normal student finance for the year - you wont be charged fees but you also wont get money to live off unless your uni/college provide funding)- or you could try to put together a portfolio over the summer and apply next year (and if that doesn't work out then use the backup plan of a foundation diploma).

There are a number of summer school type courses that will help with portfolio preparation (most are a week (http://www.arts.ac.uk/chelsea/courses/short-courses/search-by-subject/portfolio/portfolio-building-18-plus/, http://www.gsa.ac.uk/study/short-courses/portfolio/ etc), some are shorter (http://arts.brookes.ac.uk/cpd/courses/portfolio-preparation-art-and-design-08-2016.html ) and AUB offer a 3 week long course (http://aub.ac.uk/courses/summer-courses/portfolio-preparation-art-design-media/ ). There's also a handful of summer school type experiences that are architecture specific: https://www.westminster.ac.uk/about-us/faculties/architecture-and-the-built-environment/courses/access-to-architecture-summer-school

If you think you can get good grades from your current subjects then you can continue and try for a place with a portfolio created in your spare time. I'd suggest that that plus a foundation diploma would be a better option than re-starting A levels.
Original post by mangostan
I am!

Wooooo finally. I hadn't found anyone anywhere who is! Can I add you on FB haha
Has anyone firmed Liverpool? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zadrnaks
Has anyone formed Liverpool? :smile:

Not for Architecture but yes! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Not for Architecture but yes! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What have you firmed for?
What have you firmed for?

Egyptology! Which accommodation have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Egyptology! Which accommodation have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I sent you a private message
Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for an architecture course through adjustment?
Has anyone firmed Liverpool? :smile:

I have!!
Reply 1473
Anyone firmed Manchester?
Original post by Grm45
Anyone firmed Manchester?

Yes....but thinking of flipping with Liverpool (ins) as opportunities to travel / study abroad....
Original post by armadsillo
I have!!

Have as insurance as they gave me a low offer - but looking to flip it to firm due to the opportunities to study abroad.
Original post by Misha97
Someone going to Kent? :h:

Yesssss! I am!! Are you?
Original post by Mollie9820
Yesssss! I am!! Are you?

Yess! Are you in any Kent Freshers group in facebook, if I may ask, because I haven't seen a lot of Architecture students in any of those. Looking forward to meeting you there!
Any fellow people going to Bath??
Original post by bad@$$
Any fellow people going to Bath??

aye aye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending