The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

im so sorry sumayyzi have u done the breadth paper yet?
Original post by Nadia1998
im so sorry sumayyzi have u done the breadth paper yet?

nah, i've jus dun da breath speciman papre nd got 11/70! im so glad depth iz owt ov da way!
Original post by Sumayyah_G3
nah, i've jus dun da breath speciman papre nd got 11/70! im so glad depth iz owt ov da way![/QUOT

did u find it hard? i found it quite easy but the rest of my biology group found it hard
[QUOTE="Nadia1998;65378193"]
Original post by Sumayyah_G3
nah, i've jus dun da breath speciman papre nd got 11/70! im so glad depth iz owt ov da way![/QUOT

did u find it hard? i found it quite easy but the rest of my biology group found it hard

I found it quite easy really, it was quite a bargain only revising teacher predictions but i certainly have exceeded my expectations by 6600%
Original post by Gogregg
Just realised that at no point in the specification does it say that we need to know the blood clotting cascade :facepalm:

It does say that we need to know about primary non-specific defences against pathogens in animals, 'to include skin, blood clotting,wound repair, inflammation, expulsive reflexes andmucous membranes', so we probably do need to know about the blood clotting cascade.

I don't know if that's good news or not, but yeah :colondollar:
Original post by torilee
It does say that we need to know about primary non-specific defences against pathogens in animals, 'to include skin, blood clotting,wound repair, inflammation, expulsive reflexes andmucous membranes', so we probably do need to know about the blood clotting cascade.

I don't know if that's good news or not, but yeah :colondollar:

Ah, but i don't really know much about the rest of those in detail :colondollar:
So it's probably not going to be on there, but i would love for it to be a 6 marker, i'd probably be the only one though :lol:
Original post by Gogregg
Ah, but i don't really know much about the rest of those in detail :colondollar:
So it's probably not going to be on there, but i would love for it to be a 6 marker, i'd probably be the only one though :lol:

What are the steps for blood clotting? This always confuses me so much 😭 why couldn't we just stick to fibrin/fibrinogen stuff?!
Original post by IRoranth
What are the steps for blood clotting? This always confuses me so much 😭 why couldn't we just stick to fibrin/fibrinogen stuff?!

When the blood vessel is damaged, it exposes collagen fibres. These collagen fibres activate platelets which produce (as well as the damaged cells) thromboplastin, which is a clotting agent.
Thromboplastin, in the presence of calcium ions and vitamin K (i think) converts the protein prothrombin into the enzyme thrombin.
thrombin catalyses the conversion of the soluble fibrinogen into the insoluble fibrin.

The fibrin forms a mesh which traps red blood cells which is the initial clot. Once the copy has dried out, it becomes a scab, which, as it dries, pulls the edges of the wound together. Once the scab had completely died out it will fall off.

There's also some stuff about stem cells going to the mesh and differentiating into other cells i think.

I hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
When the blood vessel is damaged, it exposes collagen fibres. These collagen fibres activate platelets which produce (as well as the damaged cells) thromboplastin, which is a clotting agent.
Thromboplastin, in the presence of calcium ions and vitamin K (i think) converts the protein prothrombin into the enzyme thrombin.
thrombin catalyses the conversion of the soluble fibrinogen into the insoluble fibrin.

The fibrin forms a mesh which traps red blood cells which is the initial clot. Once the copy has dried out, it becomes a scab, which, as it dries, pulls the edges of the wound together. Once the scab had completely died out it will fall off.

There's also some stuff about stem cells going to the mesh and differentiating into other cells i think.

I hope this helps :smile:

Is thromboplastin factor X?
Original post by PanickingYear12
Is thromboplastin factor X?

I think it might be, but I'm not certain, sorry :smile:
is there a chemistry equivalent of this thread?
Original post by eukaryotic
is there a chemistry equivalent of this thread?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3933809
thanks!
Guys I know I'm taking a risk but what topics will not come based on the breadth paper ?
Original post by OddFuturez
Guys I know I'm taking a risk but what topics will not come based on the breadth paper ?

I don't think any plant stuff will come up, but i may not be right.
Does anyone know how much detail we need to know about open circulator systems in insects? The textbook goes on about stuff like peristalsis, not sure if that's relevant...
I don't think classification will come since there was a lot of it last paper lol
Reply 997
Original post by OddFuturez
I don't think classification will come since there was a lot of it last paper lol

Wouldn't want to risk it with evidence for evolution
For the question in bredth about the Bohr effect I spelt Bohr wrong! I spelt it Borr. Do you think I will still get the mark?
Reply 999
How are you doing with revision for the depth paper? I haven't done any this half term, I'm gonna start now, but I already know the content from the breadth. Does anyone know any teqhniques or useful methods to revise? Do you think any translocation stuff will come up??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending