The Student Room Group

How possible is to get 90+% in S1? (Edexcel)

Hello,

C1 and C2 did not go as expected, I believe I've gotten a Mid B in C1 and scraped an A in C2. Could have easily got 90% in both of these if I had not panicked and made silly errors. Anyways, I'm quite decent at Stats and I've been getting B's/A' all year.If am to get an A, I must get at least 90% in S1. How possible do you think this is? I have about just over 2 weeks before the exam and will work for a minimum of 6 hours+ a day until then. I hope to complete every possible past paper as well as the questions in the book.

Do you think I can do it?
Original post by Hasanalm
Hello,

C1 and C2 did not go as expected, I believe I've gotten a Mid B in C1 and scraped an A in C2. Could have easily got 90% in both of these if I had not panicked and made silly errors. Anyways, I'm quite decent at Stats and I've been getting B's/A' all year.If am to get an A, I must get at least 90% in S1. How possible do you think this is? I have about just over 2 weeks before the exam and will work for a minimum of 6 hours+ a day until then. I hope to complete every possible past paper as well as the questions in the book.

Perfectly possible, it is usually a late exam so you have a decent amount of time to prepare for it. Just don't overwork yourself - spend hours wisely rather than trying to spend 6+ hours for the sake of it.

I would say, from now, go over the textbook once more, do the past papers and move onto solomon papers if you have the time.
to be honest, with that much revision it's very likely unless edexcel pull another C1 and put multiple... how to put it.... "trick" questions in. with as much revision as you're doing, the only way ur gonna lose marks is how you said, making silly errors, which in statistics sadly costs a LOT of marks. but if you do all of the papers you will have so much practise that you will minimise those errors so im very sure its possible :smile:
You can get 90+ percent easily if you only have one exam left. I have four exams left and i think its possible for me to get 80 UMS for s1.
Maybe solving this will help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4128751

xD I'm only half kidding, though it is a stats problem (and I think probably S1 level - mutual benefit?)

But, more seriously, sure. Why not? Nailing the past papers is really the way to go but if you're doing 6 hours a day for 2 weeks make sure to space them out with a slight tilt towards more nearer the exam. Fill the nearer end with the text book theory and/or practice problems. And take breaks. Doing 6 hours straight will lead to inefficient learning. 25 minute revision sessions with 5 minutes breaks for 4 sessions then a 10 minute break to eat before continuing for another 4. After that, take a longer break. Sleep and eat well too. 8 hours at night, make sure to get good meals and be well hydrated. Exercise (aerobic activity especially) is important. Take a walk 3 times a week to clear your head and get outside. It's nice out! Those things may seem trivial but they'll make the difference.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Perfectly possible, it is usually a late exam so you have a decent amount of time to prepare for it. Just don't overwork yourself - spend hours wisely rather than trying to spend 6+ hours for the sake of it.

I would say, from now, go over the textbook once more, do the past papers and move onto solomon papers if you have the time.

Appreciate the reply mate, Hope to follow everything you've said:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Toasticide
to be honest, with that much revision it's very likely unless edexcel pull another C1 and put multiple... how to put it.... "trick" questions in. with as much revision as you're doing, the only way ur gonna lose marks is how you said, making silly errors, which in statistics sadly costs a LOT of marks. but if you do all of the papers you will have so much practise that you will minimise those errors so im very sure its possible :smile:

"Trick questions" God damn Edexcel! I shall indeed try, thanks mate
Reply 7
Original post by BizzStrut
Maybe solving this will help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4128751

xD I'm only half kidding, though it is a stats problem (and I think probably S1 level - mutual benefit?)

But, more seriously, sure. Why not? Nailing the past papers is really the way to go but if you're doing 6 hours a day for 2 weeks make sure to space them out with a slight tilt towards more nearer the exam. Fill the nearer end with the text book theory and/or practice problems. And take breaks. Doing 6 hours straight will lead to inefficient learning. 25 minute revision sessions with 5 minutes breaks for 4 sessions then a 10 minute break to eat before continuing for another 4. After that, take a longer break. Sleep and eat well too. 8 hours at night, make sure to get good meals and be well hydrated. Exercise (aerobic activity especially) is important. Take a walk 3 times a week to clear your head and get outside. It's nice out! Those things may seem trivial but they'll make the difference.

Did you take that out a year 6 maths sats paper? Solved it with my eyes closed *Wakes up from dream*. Haha, I shall try to follow your advice, thanks mate!
Very possible, I just did the past papers of Edexcel (No extra stuff and managed 93% UMS). Appeared for S1 in January 2016 IAL.

Make sure you have a sound understanding of the content & how to approach the questions, you'll do good.

Original post by SeanFM
Didn't even use a textbook for S1 :colondollar: Exam solutions all the way :biggrin:

Solomons are definitely a good choice, or going through some Madas workbooks for Stats.
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you take that out a year 6 maths sats paper? Solved it with my eyes closed *Wakes up from dream*. Haha, I shall try to follow your advice, thanks mate!

:biggrin: I just forgot all probability GCSE mathematics because I did the GCSE 2 years ago (early). Should probably brush up before A Level next year! :redface:
You definitely can. There's no reason as to why you can't if you put the work in.

Good luck.
I got 97 in S1 last year (second highest behind C3) ~ it's definitely achievable.

It's a relatively easy exam compared to the others, so with plenty of revision 90% should be highly possible :cute:
Reply 12
Original post by SaadKaleem
Very possible, I just did the past papers of Edexcel (No extra stuff and managed 93% UMS). Appeared for S1 in January 2016 IAL.

Didn't even use a textbook for S1 :colondollar: Exam solutions all the way :biggrin:

Agree with this. Only did 4/5 Edexcel past papers (2011-2015) and got full raw.
S1 doesn't take much, honestly. For the most part - almost all the modules apart from M3-M5 don't take much to get at least 95% UMS imho. S1 textbook is not very useful apart from mixed and
review exercises so go over those and do some madas workbooks(makes past papers a breeze tbh) like SaadKaleem suggested and do past papers.

Also, you have other exams I imagine - spending 6 hours a day on S1 is highly inefficient.
Do you think that the grade boundaries for c1 will be slightly lower than normal
Reply 15
Hello,

Heya, I'm in the same situation as you except I have 6 exams left. I am revising s1 on daily basis and my aim is to get 67 or more raw marks. I think we can do it. Keep the positive attitude
Reply 16
Original post by jenny01
Heya, I'm in the same situation as you except I have 6 exams left. I am revising s1 on daily basis and my aim is to get 67 or more raw marks. I think we can do it. Keep the positive attitude

Heyy, I've nearly finished going over the book, hope to start past papers in about 2-3 days. Going to do 2 past papers a day in which when the exam comes, I would have completed all the papers. We can do this, Good luck!
Reply 17
Heyy, I've nearly finished going over the book, hope to start past papers in about 2-3 days. Going to do 2 past papers a day in which when the exam comes, I would have completed all the papers. We can do this, Good luck!

Yep that's a good plan
Good luck to you too
Reply 18
Original post by Marxist
S1 doesn't take much, honestly. For the most part - almost all the modules apart from M3-M5 don't take much to get at least 95% UMS imho. S1 textbook is not very useful apart from mixed and
review exercises so go over those and do some madas workbooks(makes past papers a breeze tbh) like SaadKaleem suggested and do past papers.

Also, you have other exams I imagine - spending 6 hours a day on S1 is highly inefficient.

I'm taking IAL s1 next year i'm glad you're saying that!! what about M1?

Quick Reply

Latest