The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

i notice that the ones against it seem to be mostly men, typical
im for marriage of any sort, hetrosexual, gay or bi
Of course, marriage is a right not a privilege for heterosexuals
If your faith disagrees with gay marriage then I think that means you don't become married to the person of the same gender, but you shouldn't stand in the way of somebody else who doesn't follow the same faith
E.g. if your faith says YOU shouldn't eat ice-cream don't eat it, but don't stop other people from doing it C:
Of course I'm all for it. Why should they get to live happily ever after? They should get to experience the misery we do.
Of course I do, and there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't :cute:
Original post by #JOSH45#
Well at the end of the day, marriage is a religious institution , whether we like it or not and was founded upon very clear rules, it's easily argued that the age old definition of marriage is one that simply doesn't include two people of the same sex. Therefore gay marriage isn't real marriage and why nobody ever opposes civil partnerships because that is more suited.

Not that this is necessarily my view but this would be the view I could understand.

Marriage predates religion. Marriage is also separate from religion in the case of civil marriage.
Original post by Jackrosser97
if you leave 50 gay people on an island with no communication etc. come back in 100 years. BAM their gone. on a side track i don't really support gay marriage but i'm not against it either, i think its pointless tbh. the whole 'equality' thing has gone to far with soooo many things

Not necessarily. If it's 25 gay men and 25 lesbians they may sort out a crude sperm donor like situation to be able to have the children that they want.

Of course, if it's 50 gay men on an island they'll die out, but the same would go for 50 straight men (except trans* men in this example).

What that has to do with marriage I don't know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LukeTaylor00
Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve

Why not Adam, Steve & Eve? So if Eve fell for Stevy instead, and Steve fell for Adam, it can be a cliché, iconic love triangle in that fictional book of yours.
Original post by LukeTaylor00
Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve

But what about Lilith.

And let's not forget Lot and his daughters

Or Solomon and his 600 wives and his 300 concubines

And so on.
Original post by ivybridge
I respect it but don't understand it at all. Did you not see how fast that girl's chest was moving? She was literally so excited and scared and happy all at once; it's so clear to see they are obviously completely and truly in-love with each other. Marriage has gone beyond religion. They happened before Christianity and will happen long-after, if religion is to ever die out which it won't.

Original post by serions871
And I respect that.

Just to clarify something, I do not agree with the principle of gay marriage due to my beliefs but I still support their legal right to choose to get married- it's a free country, after all.
Yes, anyone who says otherwise is being selfish. I find most people's reasons for not supporting gay marriage are dubious - mostly based on what some irrelevant 2000 year old bundle of stories says or their own insecurity that they might be secretly gay themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I personally have nothing against it - If two people want to get married, let them get married.
Don't support it Don't go against it. I really do not care
Original post by XcitingStuart
For what reasons?

I don't think you should support things on the basis that they love each other, because I doubt that's the basis on which you decide many of your morals, making inconsistent reasoning.

For what reasons?

Why appeal to tradition? Again, I say this because I doubt you use this consistently, making you also a hypocrite.

For what reasons? Are you religious? (I need something to work with.)

For what reasons?

For what reasons?

I disagree with the concept but I would agree with the he, having the right to get a legal marriage
I don't 'support' gay marriage but I am not against it, it isn't harming anyone so I don't really understand the big debate. Tbh I don't even think marriage is even necessary in the west anymore (whether you're gay or straight). I'm Muslim so obviously I'm going to stay chaste until marriage. From a religious point of view marriage has a purpose. However people now have sex before marriage and remain girlfriend/boyfriend for years and then make a big deal of it when they get married. What's the point of getting married if you were already dating for years and are already having sex or you already have children?
Original post by ATW1
I'm not religious but I think it's wrong. Why change a system that has operated successfully for hundreds of years just because of a small minority?

Well guess what- in the bible it also says that we should Cut our sons in half.
Reply 235
Original post by RickmanAlways
Well guess what- in the bible it also says that we should Cut our sons in half.
Your point is?
Reply 236
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I don't 'support' gay marriage but I am not against it, it isn't harming anyone so I don't really understand the big debate. Tbh I don't even think marriage is even necessary in the west anymore (whether you're gay or straight). I'm Muslim so obviously I'm going to stay chaste until marriage. From a religious point of view marriage has a purpose. However people now have sex before marriage and remain girlfriend/boyfriend for years and then make a big deal of it when they get married. What's the point of getting married if you were already dating for years and are already having sex or you already have children?

I think it is great that you are religious and seem happy with your choice, but I thought you might like to understand the purpose of marriage for an athiest who has already had sex with her partner. I was that person once. Marriage for me was a public declaration of my love for him, and a commitment to put him first in my life. To me, secular marriage is purely for love, which makes it a beautiful celebration of a relationship.
Original post by HFBS
Marriage for me was a public declaration of my love for him, and a commitment to put him first in my life. To me, secular marriage is purely for love, which makes it a beautiful celebration of a relationship.

Marriage in itself, as I seem to point out very regularly, is a civil institution, not a religious one specifically.
Original post by ATW1
I'm not religious but I think it's wrong. Why change a system that has operated successfully for hundreds of years just because of a small minority?

It's not changing a system, it's removing boundaries so that more people can participate in the system.
It will be made illegal again in a few years anyway, at least as things stand demographically today.

Quick Reply