The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Following yesterday's One Essex Court change from "assessment" to "applied", it has now gone to "shortlisted". Anyone else have this or different? Or know what it means?
Original post by charcoalfeathers
Is that via email or gateway?

Email through Gateway. Yay - my first interview invite.
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Email through Gateway. Yay - my first interview invite.

Congratulations!

It looks like rejection by silence for me.
Guys, I hate to be that guy, but can we all stop going into a tailspin every time there is any movement at all on Gateway?

Look up through the thread. You cannot tell anything from any changes with any chambers as, to be honest, most of them don't really know what they're doing with Gateway either, which is why it keeps changing all the time.

The only changes that matter are those to "interview", "offer", or "rejected".

I understand, I do. These applications makes us all neurotic, and every time we get an email or phonecall from an unknown number we have a mini-heart attack. I've been through this process enough to hate every minute of it. Can we try and not make it more tedious for all of us by asking the same question every 10 posts?

General rule is, if others have been asked to interview and you haven't, you're unsuccessful. If no-one has had a response on here, and you don't know anyone personally who has, it's probably still viable. It doesn't really matter if it was personalised or not, whether it was an email or a phonecall. The "response by batches" seems to be one of those forum legends that, to my knowledge, barely ever happens.

The vast majority of people applying for pupillage at least check this thread, and are usually either nice or wanting to gloat enough to inform everyone. We're also reaching the stage where interviews are going to start flying thick and fast. There's no need for the same question a half dozen times after every post.
Original post by 2266permit
5 SAH interviews out by email following gateway update yesterday. Does anyone know what the "legal problem" is?

I wonder too. Could be anything for a case to study and discuss to an advocacy exercise to prepare.
Original post by artlessdodger

General rule is, if others have been asked to interview and you haven't, you're unsuccessful.

The "response by batches" seems to be one of those forum legends that, to my knowledge, barely ever happens.

I agree with your comments. Just worth pointing out a couple of things from my own experiences last year.

Last year others were invited to interviews at a set I had hopes for and I assumed a silent rejection. Couple of days later I received a phone call informing me the set had made an error and I should have been invited. I was offered an interview on the phone. Appreciate this does not happen often but I would say never withdraw an application on gateway tempting though it is.

Second point is response in batches does happen. Last year my friend received a 'shortlisted' status and then a couple of days later a change to first interview yet my status remained at 'applied'. After the weekend mine then changed to follow the same pattern as his and we both ended up with a first interview. I really believed I had no chance with this as he had booked slots using gateway and from what he said they seemed to be filling fast. At the interview, while waiting in reception, I was chatting to someone from the set and they told me they did review in batches, purely as they received so many. As you say it may not happen often but the fact it happens at all means people will ask.
(edited 7 years ago)
Angel Chambers Swansea - Next week or so
36 Bedford Row - Letters out on Monday (don't know if going by email as well)
30 Park Place Cardiff - short-listing still ongoing - won't be for 2/3 weeks at least
Original post by Vivalasvegas2015
I agree with your comments. Just worth pointing out a couple of things from my own experiences last year.

Last year others were invited to interviews at a set I had hopes for and I assumed a silent rejection. Couple of days later I received a phone call informing me the set had made an error and I should have been invited. I was offered an interview on the phone. Appreciate this does not happen often but I would say never withdraw an application on gateway tempting though it is.

Second point is response in batches does happen. Last year my friend received a 'shortlisted' status and then a couple of days later a change to first interview yet my status remained at 'applied'. After the weekend mine then changed to follow the same pattern as his and we both ended up with a first interview. I really believed I had no chance with this as he had booked slots using gateway and from what he said they seemed to be filling fast. At the interview, while waiting in reception, I was chatting to someone from the set and they told me they did review in batches, purely as they received so many. As you say it may not happen often but the fact it happens at all means people will ask.

Duly noted, and I accept that these things do happen. I by no means claim to have universal knowledge of chambers' methods. I would absolutely agree on never withdrawing an application on Gateway, in case one is in the in the fortunate situation you were.

However, if we're honest, it still comes down to you're either invited to interview or you're not, and you will be informed if you are. Fluctuations in status may be something to obsess over in your own time, or at the pub with friends, and I know how essential that element of hope is in this, but it makes *literally* no difference to the outcome how someone was told.

If it's that important, send a PM or call chambers. Otherwise, check your spam folder, call your voicemail, either sigh or celebrate, then move on
Reply 1488
Hi does anyone have experience with Ropewalk Chambers or Kings Chambers first round interviews?
Struggling to find any information about them anywhere, so any tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 1489
Original post by frosty321
Has anyone heard from 39 Essex Chambers yet? Or 1COR London?

Nothing for me from 39 Essex yet
Hardwicke interviews out by email
Is it midnight tonight or tomorrow for the CPS video interview ?
Original post by Pupilage2017
Hardwicke interviews out by email

Has anyone else heard anything from Hardwicke ?
Original post by 2266permit
5 SAH interviews out by email following gateway update yesterday. Does anyone know what the "legal problem" is?

Last year they gave you a sheet of questions and gave you 30 mins to flick through Archbold to find the answers, then made you explain why you chose that particular piece of statute etc, and other various things to do with historic sex offences re limitation periods, sentencing guidelines etc.

Then they spent 10 mins going through your CV asking why you want to do crime, what you have done previously to prove your grounding at the criminal bar, and what you could bring to chambers.
Original post by pupiltobe23
Has anyone else heard anything from Hardwicke ?

Yes. Personalised email with postal address. I imagine they'll be sending out invites and rejections by post as well as they did last year.
Five paper interview invites out by personalised email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frosty321
Following yesterday's One Essex Court change from "assessment" to "applied", it has now gone to "shortlisted". Anyone else have this or different? Or know what it means?

Mine has reverted to 'applied'. I'm guessing it's a rejection. Last year they sent out rejections by Gateway email.
Sergeants first round - anyone able to provide anything of interview format or general guidance re their problem question....Going in shortly....
Original post by PupilLAD

Midnight tomorrow as far as I can tell. The last email was confusing but I looked back at an earlier one and it made it pretty clear that the deadline is tomorrow at midnight. Was panicking at first!
Original post by PupilLAD

Have you ever done one of these video interviews before?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending