The Student Room Group

AS) role of RER

Hi,

I was revising for my exam next week, and instead of just memorising what's in the revision guide, I thought it would be better to understand what they actually mean.

So I've been taught that RER folds and processes proteins that have been made at the ribosomes.

Since ribosomes are where proteins are made (translation) either in the cytoplasm or at the ribosomes on the membrane of RER, doesn't the synthesised protein go through the cisternae of RER which packages the proteins into vesicles so they can be modified at the Golgi apparatus?

If I'm wrong please let me know.

And what does it mean by 'folding and processing proteins'?

Another thing) If RER makes proteins that are excreted or attached to cell membrane, how to they make proteins needed IN the cell?

Thanks for helping!
Original post by liemluji
Hi,

I was revising for my exam next week, and instead of just memorising what's in the revision guide, I thought it would be better to understand what they actually mean.

So I've been taught that RER folds and processes proteins that have been made at the ribosomes.

Since ribosomes are where proteins are made (translation) either in the cytoplasm or at the ribosomes on the membrane of RER, doesn't the synthesised protein go through the cisternae of RER which packages the proteins into vesicles so they can be modified at the Golgi apparatus?

Another thing) If RER makes proteins that are excreted or attached to cell membrane, how to they make proteins needed IN the cell?

Thanks for helping!

As far as I know. It is modified in the Golgi apparatus. Folding means giving the polypeptide chain the tertiary and quaternary structures.

P.S I'm sitting for the exam too!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by liemluji
Hi,

Thanks for helping!

I dont thibk they go through the cisternae as a polypeptide chain is produced without being placed in a vesicle. As for your last question, eukayrotic cells have free floating ribsomomes which are not attached to the RER that produce it for the cell itself. Lastly, most protein synthesis occurs in the free floating ribosomes only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending